Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times

Advertisements

These seem like a great way of getting pets to take their pills, shame you can't get these in the UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
For me it never failed to wrap it in a piece of lunch meat. It helped to have dogs that verily inhaled their food.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
My little Shih Tzu mixed always inhaled when wrapped in liverwurst

Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
My dog just takes the pill with no meat or anything. My previous Great Pyrenese needeed it stuck inside a hotdog.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM

30 posts, read 111,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcalzar View Post
These seem like a great way of getting pets to take their pills, shame you can't get these in the UK
Somebody posted about these for cats a month ago or so and I think you could order them online.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,093 times
Our dog, a great dane, would delicately eat the meat around the pill no matter how tightly we wrapped it, leaving a soggy mess of a pill on the floor.

We started putting a scoop of peanut butter on a spoon and squishing the pill on top of it. It works like a charm - she licks the peanut butter right off, pill and all, without pausing.

Our cats, however, are a different story. I think we all still have battle scars from the last round of pills we gave them!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Hahaha yeh, I guess I didn't think about what it takes to give a pill to a cat. You can't just shove a pill into a hot dog because they eat way to daintily, one little nibble at a time, and eventually they'll find the pill.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:33 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
My aunt tried the pill pockets on her cat......I guess it did not go over very well.
She had to go back to the vet and have the vet help give the pills to her poor cat.

I wish I could describe the 'tool' my vet gave me to administer pills for my cat several years ago.
It was very easy to use. It was plastic and had like claws on the end of it...it was just small enough to fit pills into and it had a plunger??? like device...it made it very quick to depress the pill into her mouth.

I'll see if I can find the name of what it was...

Old 07-20-2007, 01:52 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
I've never hestitated when I had to force-feed a cat a pill. the faster it's done, the less of a fight the cat will put up. as long as you have him/her firmly in your lap.... with one hand you have a finger on each side of the jaw pressing inwards to open the mouth up.. with the other hand you have the pill that you "pop" as far into the back of the throat as possible. let go with your other hand and 2 fingers that were holding the jaw open...and immediately begin to stroke the underside of your kitty's chin. this increases their saliva production, therefor inhibiting them to swallow over and over, and helps the pill go down.

Very rarely the cat will look at you and spit the pill back out. - in all cases it has been because I have found I didn't "pop" it far enough back. Like I said - the faster the better. I was stunned when I watched our vet do it the first time, took all of 5 seconds. Here lately, if you have a pill you need to give to a kitty, I'll almost jump and volunteer to do it it's a piece o' cake now.

giving them a BATH... is another thing.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,341 times
I have been using the pill pockets, and in all my years of giving animals meds, I have never had anything that worked so well. Never again, will I use, anything else.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets