Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:53 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times

Advertisements

I have 3 cats.

I have a Frigidaire top loader washer that is about 20 years old (and still going-I hope it goes for several more years). I have a 3 year old Whirlpool dryer. I wash everything on gentle with unscented soap. (The washer is on the second floor and the first floor has antique molding made out of plaster that I don't want the shaking of the washer to ruin.) I dry everything on extra low heat with a tennis ball and an unscented dryer sheet. (I hate my clothes smelling purfumey.) The dryer lint screen is usually full of fur but I haven't really noticed too much on the clothes coming out.

This MAY be my last box of dryer sheets. I heard that throwing a few wadded up balls of aluminum foil in the dryer does the trick of static cling-probably better than dryer sheets and you can reuse them. But, I also heard that your clothes aren't as soft. So, I will give it a go and see.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post

I hear ya!

Wow! 10 cats? Hey, have you seen that Cat Organizer from IKEA?
Where is this Cat Organizer buddy? All that pops-up in this link of yours is the "IKEA Knowledge Encyclopedia" Page? Whatever all that silly info was typed up for,I dunno, but I'm really in the market for a cool cat bungalow or nest thing/bed/cat apartment that's cooler than the norm cat post for a friends Dad I'm close to that is an older Widower man that has had amputation on foot due to diabetes and is really squeezed for space in his room and stuck in a bed. Those cat's saved his life and brighten his world and I really want to give him something cool for Christmas to help him and his family give the cats some comfy personal space, due to my friends son and wife moving in and the cats are freaking out because of the lack of space! Any help with the link or suggestions is most appreciated. Also 10 cat person what do YOU do to keep from the cats taking over with hair, pee, and scratching/trashing everything? He just has two cats and they are potty trained ALWAYS go in litter and don't scratch nothing cept one chair that no one uses but they are starting to stress because of the cramped situation. You must be very great at falling into disillusion and love the smell of concentrated pee/poo/ammonia or your one of the bad ass large cat owners that can afford to care and take of the big family! Please share any wisdom ya'll!

Old 05-04-2017, 01:37 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
One dog, a big pekingese...have had my front loading Kenmores for over 10 years..I wash
Caesar's bedding and towels after bathing, he sheds somewhat but my washer and dryer are
still working fine.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
The new high tech front end loading washing machines DO help with pet fur. If you have one you'll understand when I say some of the hair is trapped in the sealer around the door. A friend said use a turkey baster filled with water and blast the debris out. I find less hairballs with this newer machine.

I use the wire pet brush on pet beds before throwing them in the washer. I wash those away from our regular clothes.

Brushing the animals helps a lot, too. I don't use dryer sheets but do use fabric softener in the wash. There is a dye and scent free brand -- I know ALL has one but also Downy.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs1985 View Post
Any help with the link or suggestions is most appreciated. Also 10 cat person what do YOU do to keep from the cats taking over with hair, pee, and scratching/trashing everything? He just has two cats and they are potty trained ALWAYS go in litter and don't scratch nothing cept one chair that no one uses but they are starting to stress because of the cramped situation. Please share any wisdom ya'll!

Between fostering for an animal shelter for years and having my own, plus research which I like to do.. . Cats need high perches. A multi cat household needs some variety in heights and it's the more dominate cats that like to be up high.

Another tip is multiple cat boxes. One per cat isn't enough. If they're peeing all over you need to separate and enclose them apart and figure out if it's a territory thing or a urinary tract issue / crystals. Once that's figured out you can let them run around but put a few litter boxes in EACH room they're in. I'd also say keep them out of the bedroom because you need your own peace at night.

Cats don't trash everything. They're usually pretty lazy. They may do a bit of chase and scratch on a piece of furniture I don't want them to but that's easily discouraged with scat mats or sticky tape specifically for cats or what one lady suggested and I never did but never forgot -- Mouse traps set with newspaper covering them. Keep those cats off the counter!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs1985 View Post
Where is this Cat Organizer buddy? ...
it was tongue in cheek...
This is what I was talking about:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/174162710563649527/

Old 05-24-2017, 05:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Ten cats.
Frigidare front loading washer and matching dryer.
No dryer sheets.
Clothes come out of the dryer hair free.
And stay that way for at least a couple of minutes.
I hear ya. Two Great Danes. The hair free time doesn't even last that long

Old 05-27-2017, 11:43 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
We had a 3-year-old Amana washer and dryer set...cheap, simple, top-loading washer (I don't like front-loaders).

The washing machine quit on us last year at a bad time financially, so I bought a used Whirlpool washing machine through a local used appliance guy for $150. Still have the same Amana dryer.

I swear, the Whirlpool does a way better job of washing clothes. I used to pull my clothes out of the washer to put in the dryer and be appalled by the pet hair. Haven't noticed that problem in a year with the Whirlpool.

And, that Amana dryer from that same $900 crappy original set now sucks. The dryer doesn't get hot on the "timed" setting, but it works when I put it on the "more dry/less dry" setting. So I'll be replacing it soon. Great. Might go the used route again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets