Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
and it seems wasteful to feed high-quality meat to pets who can’t tell the difference. It is, in a sense, a laudable form of recycling.
He thinks, since animals "can't tell the difference", we might as well just give them the 4-D foods.

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/58332...ef-and-chicken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
Considering that the average American throws out or wastes more food than people in third world countries eat I hardly think pet food is an issue.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 AM

My point is: Does this guy really think an animal's body "can't tell the difference" between real nutrition and junk that may be full of drugs and other inappropriate things? Of course, an animal can't tell the difference on an intellectual level. But I assure you that you will see a huge difference in health, coat, activity and general well being, if you feed your pet a better food.

"It's just a pet" so who cares if it feels good?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
He's right. Everybody should pack up their leftovers and mail them to the starving orphans in China where they will do more good.

Dogs can eat some pretty disgusting stuff, but that doesn't mean that I have to feed my dogs the minimum that they can get by on.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,542,179 times
Cheap food costs more in the long run, when it comes to vet bills.

A frugal pet owner should focus on the big picture!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
Its my money, if I want to spend it on my cat eating fresh salmon, filet mignon, or Fancy Feast, that is my business. He, she, or it has no place telling me what I can and cannot feed my cat.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM

380 posts, read 834,026 times
Catsmom21, you know what word is ALWAYS missing in such "articles"? The dirtiest, most forbidden one of them all -- Carnivore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Considering that the average American throws out or wastes more food than people in third world countries eat I hardly think pet food is an issue.
Way to go out of your way to post this in the PETS forum

People must have trees in their backyards growing $50 bills with no worry 'bout all the inevitable vet bills to be so indifferent towards people trying to share information which may help spare people & their pets preventable heartache. Some dogs & cats may seem "fine" for some time, but just wait until it all catches up. Thus the onslaught of Kidney Failure, Diabetes, Cancer, UTI, Ect....

Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Catsmom21, you know what word is ALWAYS missing in such "articles"? The dirtiest, most forbidden one of them all -- Carnivore.

Way to go out of your way to post this in the PETS forum

People must have trees in their backyards growing $50 bills with no worry 'bout all the inevitable vet bills to be so indifferent towards people trying to share information which may help spare people & their pets preventable heartache. Some dogs & cats may seem "fine" for some time, but just wait until it all catches up. Thus the onslaught of Kidney Failure, Diabetes, Cancer, UTI, Ect....

Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Honestly, I think there is a middle ground here - and many pet owners today are TOO uptight, paranoid, etc. My family raised a number of cats throughout my lifetime, feeding them mostly "supermarket brands," and they generally lived long/healthy lives. One of my childhood cats, Amber the Abyssinian, just passed away a few years ago at the age of 19.

So while I'm not about to feed my dog some crap like Ol' Roy, I also don't feel the need to spend $5/can on stuff that's fit for human consumption... I go right down the middle, with good but not super expensive brands, like PetSmart's Simply Nourish (he loves it!) and Fancy Feast or Fussie Cat for the kitties. It's not like I eat holistic raw foods myself, LOL.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,556 times
The article reads more like something out of Utpon Sinclair's "The Jungle" as opposed to a criticism of the pet food industry. The author is angry at how wasteful people are by describing how humans only eat 50% of a cow, how we slaughter roosters because they are inconvenient, and how we kill dogs and cats because we decide we simply don't want them anymore. He's not advocating for people feeding cheap crap to pets specifically; he's trying to get people up in arms over the wastefulness of humans by using an example that shocks them (feeding dead dogs and cats to pets).

If you Google the author's name, it is pretty obvious to see the point of the article. He is a self-proclaimed eco-activist and hunter who focuses on invasive species, and is against wasteful people. Also, if you pull up the author's blog, he links to a research paper about the pet food industry that looks at the nutritional problems in food, issues with ingredients, etc. http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/dat...Patrick06.html

Last edited by passwithoutatrace; 04-27-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets