Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times

Advertisements

Oh, yes, the animals' body knows. I switched my cat's food from Blue Buffalo to Iams. My oldest cat, marshmallow, died within a week. He died from diabetic ketoacidosis. I didn't know he was diabetic. when we switched his food, it was to a high-carb diet. He wasn't eating, and losing weight. I did not intend to switch to high-carb, it just worked out that way, because I wasn't a good cat parent. I didn't keep up with his medical checkups, and didn't research the food thoroughly. I just figured since he had lost weight, perhaps a change of diet would help......he seemed to like the new food and ate it. His taste buds liked it, but his body didn't.

Look, good nutrition matters for humans and animals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM

380 posts, read 833,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, yes, the animals' body knows. I switched my cat's food from Blue Buffalo to Iams. My oldest cat, marshmallow, died within a week. He died from diabetic ketoacidosis. I didn't know he was diabetic. when we switched his food, it was to a high-carb diet. He wasn't eating, and losing weight. I did not intend to switch to high-carb, it just worked out that way, because I wasn't a good cat parent. I didn't keep up with his medical checkups, and didn't research the food thoroughly. I just figured since he had lost weight, perhaps a change of diet would help......he seemed to like the new food and ate it. His taste buds liked it, but his body didn't.

Look, good nutrition matters for humans and animals!
If you go through my posts on here in the "food debate" threads and see the pattern of anger towards *mainstream* vets and mainstream Mediots, the bolded is the reason why.

You are NOT a bad cat parent!

*Mainstream* Vets should be telling their clients that the patients under their care are the strictest of all carnivorous mammals (along with Ferrets) but what do they do INSTEAD? Endorse and even "prescribe" carb-laden "food"/cereal for TRUSTING pet parents to feed to carnivores.

As far as "holistic"; "grain free" and all the other marketing gimmicks, here's another term which goes hand-in-hand with the other dirty forbidden one ("Carnivore"):

Species-Appropriate.

If a food is species-appropriate, people wouldn't be going through all the heartache AND CONFUSION with their pets' health. But beings everyone and their brother is getting $$$$$$$$$$$$ at our expense, who's going to inform pet owners that what's in the mainstream foods is what's causing all these man-made health issues in these pets? NOBODY. Just a handful of honest educated veterinarians (such as Dr. Lisa Pierson), and pet owners on forums like this who have learned the HARD WAY and did some research.

But when we try to warn people, they don't want to believe that the *mainstream* vets, "trusted" brands, and advertising are full of it, thus the info gets dismissed.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
Diabetic Cat Care
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

The PFI is a multi-BILLION dollar industry because the "stuff" put into it would end up in landfills instead. And go ahead and look into -- not only who is the $$$$ behind TV advertising, but very generously funding the veterinary Universities as well!

Yes, please DO see the Harvard Law Paper already posted on page one of this thread by passwithoutatrace. Nobody else who SHOULD BE is going to inform anybody, that's for sure.

Last edited by Pamina333; 04-28-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 AM

So, what do you suggest I do? Return my pet family to a shelter because I can't figure out how to feed them? We all do the best we can, with the information available. I'm not a food scientist.
You know, I've had pets all my life, mainly cats and some dogs. Outside of some injuries, my pets always did well. Now, seems I'm losing my confidence. there's so many varieties of pet foods out there, so many different manufacturers who's motives is not the pet's health but rather their financial health. I get dizzy reading about how to care for animals, something that has brought me pleasure most of my life, to think I was so stupid, I killed marshmallow.Perhaps I should just re-home the remaining cats, any home would be better than with me

Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 AM

380 posts, read 833,903 times
Quote:
So, what do you suggest I do? ...

I get dizzy reading about how to care for animals, something that has brought me pleasure most of my life, to think I was so stupid, I killed marshmallow.Perhaps I should just re-home the remaining cats, any home would be better than with me
#1 STOP blaming yourself!

And NO you aren't/didn't!!

It's PAST Time to direct blame where it belongs.

And read Catsmom21's posts on here. Foxywench's and =^..^= too. There are many Internet communities where pet owners are helping each other, after they'd found out the hard way.
If you notice, I don't endorse this-or-that specific food. Have nothing to gain here.
Can only stick to the facts, that cats are carnivores.

Read the sites provided, arm yourself. You don't have to be a scientist or a chef. Just don't let your trust be abused anymore. If there are commercials for it -- steer clear. Likewise for vets hawking junk foods as they won't diagnose objectively/honestly. That's all I'm trying to say.

It took 4 dead animals for me to finally buy a clue because I trusted, and kept on trusting. Don't be as naive as I was. I finally took to the Internet and listened to the broken records that were heartbroken pet owners sharing their stories. It took over a YEAR for me to put it all together.

All the info is at your fingertips now. ARM yourself and your pets with it. Dr Pierson speaks clearly, and in Layman's terms. Nothing fancy about her. www.catinfo.org

If you rather, there are also books -- here's a Cat Owner's Bible:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl.../dp/0312358024

Check her credentials -- she is also a lawyer, and read the reviews, including from other Veterinarians.

Last edited by Pamina333; 04-28-2013 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
So, what do you suggest I do? Return my pet family to a shelter because I can't figure out how to feed them? We all do the best we can, with the information available. I'm not a food scientist.
You know, I've had pets all my life, mainly cats and some dogs. Outside of some injuries, my pets always did well. Now, seems I'm losing my confidence. there's so many varieties of pet foods out there, so many different manufacturers who's motives is not the pet's health but rather their financial health. I get dizzy reading about how to care for animals, something that has brought me pleasure most of my life, to think I was so stupid, I killed marshmallow.Perhaps I should just re-home the remaining cats, any home would be better than with me
\I apologize for the outburst. It was late at night, I was tired, and missing Marshmallow. I just feel so frustrated that I didn't take better care of him, and hastened his demise. He was so good to me!My sweet kitty!

Well, live and learn, for my other fur kids!

Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
#1 STOP blaming yourself!

And NO you aren't/didn't!!

It's PAST Time to direct blame where it belongs.

And read Catsmom21's posts on here. Foxywench's and =^..^= too. There are many Internet communities where pet owners are helping each other, after they'd found out the hard way.
If you notice, I don't endorse this-or-that specific food. Have nothing to gain here.
Can only stick to the facts, that cats are carnivores.

Read the sites provided, arm yourself. You don't have to be a scientist or a chef. Just don't let your trust be abused anymore. If there are commercials for it -- steer clear. Likewise for vets hawking junk foods as they won't diagnose objectively/honestly. That's all I'm trying to say.

It took 4 dead animals for me to finally buy a clue because I trusted, and kept on trusting. Don't be as naive as I was. I finally took to the Internet and listened to the broken records that were heartbroken pet owners sharing their stories. It took over a YEAR for me to put it all together.

All the info is at your fingertips now. ARM yourself and your pets with it. Dr Pierson speaks clearly, and in Layman's terms. Nothing fancy about her. www.catinfo.org

If you rather, there are also books -- here's a Cat Owner's Bible:
Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life: Elizabeth M. Hodgkins: 9780312358020: Amazon.com: Books

Check her credentials -- she is also a lawyer, and read the reviews, including from other Veterinarians.

Thanks for the kind words! also, thanks for the links, I will check them out.

At least I learned something from all this---diabetes KILLS. I've had high blood sugar for awhile, and been somewhat lax in addressing it. Oh, yes, I go through the motions, test, take meds, watch diet, but I could do better. At least one rule I follow---if its advertised on TV, I don't eat it. My diet has been more simple, no processed foods, cut out sugars, etc, but I still have a ways to go. Thanks, Marshmallow, for coming into my life and leaving me better than you found me. Perhaps he was an angel?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
\I apologize for the outburst. It was late at night, I was tired, and missing Marshmallow. I just feel so frustrated that I didn't take better care of him, and hastened his demise. He was so good to me!My sweet kitty!

Well, live and learn, for my other fur kids!
{{hugs}}

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! also, thanks for the links, I will check them out.

At least I learned something from all this---diabetes KILLS. I've had high blood sugar for awhile, and been somewhat lax in addressing it. Oh, yes, I go through the motions, test, take meds, watch diet, but I could do better. At least one rule I follow---if its advertised on TV, I don't eat it. My diet has been more simple, no processed foods, cut out sugars, etc, but I still have a ways to go. Thanks, Marshmallow, for coming into my life and leaving me better than you found me. Perhaps he was an angel?
Do you exercise? Remember that exercise is extremely important for diabetics. Well, for everyone of course, but a half hour of vigorous exercise every day will really help keep your blood sugar down.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,288,869 times
I think a large part of what this subject/debate boils down to is: pet food, and the companies that make most of them, particularly the large established companies, have changed.

Changed their focus from quality to [only] profit.

Changed the structure of their overall business, from one or two brands, or types of products, to broad acquisitions of other companies and their products which are then integrated in ways that are meant to be most profitable for shareholders.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
He thinks, since animals "can't tell the difference", we might as well just give them the 4-D foods.

Dog Eat Dog: Pet Food *Not Just Beef And Chicken | Valley News
That's really sickening. And to know that a euthanasia drug is in the cat and dog remains in the pet food we buy is very disturbing.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
{{hugs}}

Do you exercise? Remember that exercise is extremely important for diabetics. Well, for everyone of course, but a half hour of vigorous exercise every day will really help keep your blood sugar down.

Yes, I try to do an exercise DVD every day. I take my BS before and after---it really comes down, about 50 points! I'm still stuggling to get my BS at an optimal level. I appreciate my doctor. Instead of throwing yet more meds at me, she suggested exercise to balance things out, and it seems to be working!

Its too bad there isn't some home test one could use to monitor dogs & cats blood sugar, like for humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets