Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times

Advertisements

Make sure you keep up on keeping your animals themselves clean and free of fleas. Hopefully this one-time bombing will do the job for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Eucalyptus is poisonous to cats. Don't use that.

If this bomb didn't work I would suggest to try Zodiac brand. It kills everything for months after using it. You will see a ton of dead spiders etc. I always soak and rewash all my dishes whenever I have used a fogger. I also wash out the cabinets where food or dishes touch. Any food stuff goes in a room that is not being fogged, open windows in that room and seal the door outside with plastic and tape.(shower curtain or a couple heavy duty trash bags) Check with your vet to see if your kittens are stable enough to withstand the Zodiac fogger.

I agree to keep treating your pets. Remove any fleas on the kittens a couple times a day with a flea comb. Bathe when you can. It was suggested to me by a vet to cover them in the blue traditional dawn dishwashing liquid to kill fleas. Have a cup of HOT soapy water to rinse the comb off in with each stroke and during bathing times to toss in any fleas that try to run.

Look outside your home as well for areas that could harbor fleas and treat that as well. They prefer dark moist environments if they are not on an animal.

When dealing with an infestation you are going to have to treat for a couple months usually because of the flea life cycle. I saw a few fleas after the Zodiac fogger but they became fewer and smaller in a couple months while I continued to use Frontline Plus on my adult cats. The Zodiac treatment kept killing too. Not all foggers seem to do that.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
The medicine for the cats was the one that went on the back of their necks...I didn't want to bathe them again right now because I'm worried it may wash it off...
Any insight on this?

Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm reading all you're saying =]

Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
The medicine for the cats was the one that went on the back of their necks...I didn't want to bathe them again right now because I'm worried it may wash it off...
Any insight on this?

Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm reading all you're saying =]

Check the brand but usually the spot flea control types sustain through bathing. You just have to wait 24 hours from the time of application before allowing the pet to get wet/bath. (frontline). It should be killing anything within a couple hours of the flea getting on them though. Personally I never had to re-bathe spot treated animals if using frontline plus.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
I swear by DE, just make sure you get the food grade only! I have 2 dogs that have gotten fleas, but I've never seen a live one in my home. I have it sprinkled outside in front of my doors and along my baseboards. I also dust the yard with it once in awhile. The price is well worth it and it lasts a long, long time. I've never had a bit of trouble with it and my vacuum. It also helps keeping other critters out of the home, or kills them. I also dust the pups legs when we go on a walk, as I live in the country. All last year I avoided using any poisons on or around my furbabies because of DE.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Boy, I remember those bombs from 25 yrs ago. Hitting the button and running....
I also remember using a product called Citrix, iirc, that could be purchased at a do it yourself pest control
store. It was a natural product that killed the fleas by dehydrating them(?). It might have been a version
of diatemaceous earth which is also avail at DIY or Home Depot. It was applied by brushing into the carpet
or cracks of flooring/baseboard. Just a thought. I really would hate to use a bomb although battling fleas
sure does bring on desperation to eradicate them
Absolutely it was a horror story when we had to deal with them. Three outside cats and one indoor cat made it an absolute nightmare, but I am here to say it can be overcome and destroyed.

Best thing I found was keep treating the cats with the stuff you put on their neck behind their collar; you also have to be relentless in vacuuming and using any and all powders and stuff to eradicate them.

I also recall that pouring SALT all over the carpets, as much as Borax or other powders was I believe the best thing to eradicate in the carpet. Make sure you use the salt and it can be alleviated.

I remember looking down at my white socks though and seeing them all over like little tiny black dots and thinking they never could be eradicated. But some how we did it, even with several "outside" (inner city too, mind you) great cats.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Lady on amazon sells a generic version of capstar that works really good. And she has a generic flea control. Make sure you vaccum/shampoo the carpets a few times, pet bedding, furniture, etc

Old 09-14-2013, 12:31 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Thought they were gone, and now they are starting to come back as I can see on the dog!

This is after doing a few more things after my last update, such as:
1. Flea spray can in the main room and flea bomb in the bedroom

2. Hand scrub the floor with flea spray, then hand scrub with carpet cleaner.
Vacuum

3. Vacuum the whole house a few times a week.

Haven't seen any on the animals, and have stopped getting bites on my legs.

Now, just 10 minutes before writing this, I saw a few fleas on the dog.

What the fock.

I never gave any of them a second dose of flea medication since the original one, but I've meticulously vacuumed around.
So now I have to get another dose.
At my vet's website, they have Comfortis, which is what they used on their initial visit. It's good for dogs and cats. But I'm not sure which dosage to get, as I want to just get one 6-pack for both the 2 cats and the dog instead of getting the singles for each or two different 6 packs.
The dog weights 12-13 lbs and the cats weight 4 1/2-5 lbs each. Should I get the one that is For dogs 5-10lbs cats 4.1-6lbs and be under on the dog and perfect for the cats or the one that is for dogs 10.1-20lbs cats 6.1-12lbs and be perfect for the dog but over for the cats ??

Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
fleas have a 2 week lifespan. check the product you used, is it "residual" (some products remain effective for months) or not. if its not youll have to retreat 2 weeks form the origioanl bombing (and id do a 3rd round 2 weeks after that) if its residual youll generally see a couple here and there over the next few days but then they should disappear again.
flea sprays, bombs ect only work on adult and larval fleas so any eggs remain alive...it takes 2 weks for a flea egg to hatch...and thus you get a sudden "reinfestation" residual type sprays will then kill the adults before they get a chance to lay again thus ending the cycle...but none residual you will have to retreat.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Thought they were gone, and now they are starting to come back as I can see on the dog!

This is after doing a few more things after my last update, such as:
1. Flea spray can in the main room and flea bomb in the bedroom

2. Hand scrub the floor with flea spray, then hand scrub with carpet cleaner.
Vacuum

3. Vacuum the whole house a few times a week.

Haven't seen any on the animals, and have stopped getting bites on my legs.

Now, just 10 minutes before writing this, I saw a few fleas on the dog.

What the fock.

I never gave any of them a second dose of flea medication since the original one, but I've meticulously vacuumed around.
So now I have to get another dose.
At my vet's website, they have Comfortis, which is what they used on their initial visit. It's good for dogs and cats. But I'm not sure which dosage to get, as I want to just get one 6-pack for both the 2 cats and the dog instead of getting the singles for each or two different 6 packs.
The dog weights 12-13 lbs and the cats weight 4 1/2-5 lbs each. Should I get the one that is For dogs 5-10lbs cats 4.1-6lbs and be under on the dog and perfect for the cats or the one that is for dogs 10.1-20lbs cats 6.1-12lbs and be perfect for the dog but over for the cats ??
I feel your pain.

You have to be relentless in your struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets