Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,009 times

Advertisements

I have been meaning to read this thread because I am a kindred spirit, though I don't have your opportunity. Hopefully, the moderators will allow you to use this as more of a journal because I'm really enjoying it. I'm learning through you, very enviious of you actually, but super excited you have this chance. Maybe when the time comes, I can ask you how you did it all and you will be the person of wisedom in turn!

Being someone like you who was never raised on horses, just learned western through a Christian horse camp when I could go up there. I never forgot my experience, especially when I was old enough to be allowed to be on staff. Mucking the one stall we had (all the horses were kept outside) was my favorite chore. I knew I wouldn't get this opportunity anywhere else since horse barns weren't close to where I lived. I can still smell it now...I promised myself someday I would get my own land for a horse property and not be just another one of those girls that JUST dreams of it. Sigh, one day. going through it like you are is what I would do. Emercing myself so I can best understand.So, right now, I live through you!
I agree with everyone, there's nothing like the smell of a barn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:25 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,085 times
Thank you, I too, am hoping to use this as a journal.

I have been feeling under the weather this week, and have not had the opportunity to go to the stables

I plan on going next week but the holidays are also just around the corner. I will make it at least once this coming week.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
Hope you get to feeling better!

If you are practicing to become an owner you should practice heading to the barn when you don't feel well, when you have other stuff going on, and even on Christmas day. Horses don't care than you are sick, they still need to be fed & watered, stalls still need to be mucked. This is one reason I got out. Owning horses is a 24/7/365 type of job. My poor body could not keep up anymore.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Hope you get to feeling better!

If you are practicing to become an owner you should practice heading to the barn when you don't feel well, when you have other stuff going on, and even on Christmas day. Horses don't care than you are sick, they still need to be fed & watered, stalls still need to be mucked. This is one reason I got out. Owning horses is a 24/7/365 type of job. My poor body could not keep up anymore.
I agree with you BUT the man I am taking lessons from is....... older. I hate to think that I could make him sick. I am not one to spread germs especially to someone who may be affected more so from my illness. Last week, this gentleman was not feeling very well himself, and I would not want to make him worse. He is a man that refuses to go to the doctor. I know this because his wife was trying to get him to go last week. (You know the type, I'm sure)

I understand that horses are a 24/7/365 day job. If I wasn't bringing my germs to someone else and the horse was on my property, it would be different.
I would just feel so terrible if I got anyone else sick. Along with the flu, I have an ear infection and my equilibrium is a bit off.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 AM

A question for Evey.......

I know of your experience with horses and admire you greatly.

Is there an explanation for the biting horse ? Is it/ could it be just a clash of personalities, or is this usually a habit the horse has ??? Is it a habit that can be broke ?

I know my nerves got the best of me that day, and that the horse could sense it. Could that have played into the situation? Also at the time of her action (to bite) I was grooming her front feet. Every time I would put the brush on her feet, she would stamp them. Is this something the horse did not care for and I continued to do so , which could of annoyed her ?
When a horse bites, is it a clamp and release type of bite ? What would be the best comparison ?
How do you over come the fear of being bitten or kicked ?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
Biting is a very bad habit. Most biters that I have know remained biters. Sometimes it comes from abuse, and sometimes they are just born that way. Some do it to see if they can get away with it. I have know a few that had a metal cage attached to their halter to keep them from biting.

Here is an article that you might find helpful Biting Horses, Helping Horses that Bite by Wendy Hilton

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 AM

Thank you Evey !
I was wondering if it had something to do with me or my actions.

Read the article. Good info.
Confirmed my thoughts. I wonder how the owner would of responded if I got aggressive with the horse (like the article says). I can't see myself ever punching a horse, but I have surprised myself a time or two.
Thanks again.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:07 AM

BTW
Thank you for making me look at the situation from a different perspective !

Old 12-08-2007, 03:27 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
A question for Evey.......

I know of your experience with horses and admire you greatly.

Is there an explanation for the biting horse ? Is it/ could it be just a clash of personalities, or is this usually a habit the horse has ??? Is it a habit that can be broke ?

I know my nerves got the best of me that day, and that the horse could sense it. Could that have played into the situation? Also at the time of her action (to bite) I was grooming her front feet. Every time I would put the brush on her feet, she would stamp them. Is this something the horse did not care for and I continued to do so , which could of annoyed her ?
When a horse bites, is it a clamp and release type of bite ? What would be the best comparison ?
How do you over come the fear of being bitten or kicked ?
I would think more that the horse does not respect you and is testing you.
The same with the stamping of the feet to the brush testing you again. Horses like this you have to earn their respect.

I have a colt that was a biter and I would pop him in the mouth as he was coming to bite me so he would think he did it to himself he soon stopped with me but still tries to bite my hubby who is a novice. But with it not being your horse that is a different thing.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Try reading some of the Natural Horsemanship books...I love the John Lyons 3 second rule...I've started 3 horses and it has come in handy several times!!!!

I don't know what part of GA your in but each year there are several seminars held with these people, my personal fav is Clinton Anderson, instead of using his horse he uses participants horses. Also, they all have "product" to sell to "help" you train and work with your horse, he's the only one that sez in his seminars that you don't have to have a,b,c of his product, you can use d,e,f or what ever you have around the farm. He also shows how to work with a horse if you DON'T have a round pen.

Just google him and you'll find his site and seminar dates, be wary of anyone who sez you can't train a horse correctly if you don't have their gear...wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets