Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
theqbaby...wow. What an amazing and wonderful time for you...I was just thinking this morning that when it's time for me to learn riding, etc. (our goal is to have horses too, hence the move to NC), wouldn't it be great to earn the horse's trust/respect before riding...anyway, aside from congrats to you for getting that much closer to realizing your dreams, I want to recommend an amazing book...it's called "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards and really it's a page-turner. Enjoy!!

~PudelPie
Thank You so much !

I feel it is important to gain their trust . I am working hard on that with this one particular horse (Daisy).

It has been an amazing experience so far. I am slowly loosing my fear and nervousness around the horses. I am starting to anticipate what they are thinking (kind of).
It isn't all about riding for me. I want to be more than a rider.
Every new day is a learning experience for me. I hope I never stop learning !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
Thumbs up Hello I am Terri

Hello ,I have been training Horses and people about horses for over 17 years. It is great that your learning all you can before you buy a horse of your own because so meny people buy horses and dont knwo how to take care of then and end up neglecting there needs. Good luck in your adventures I am leveing you with some important information I think all people wanting a horse should know.

Education on injury prevention

The best injury prevention is education. It's common sense that a properly trained horse, is less likely to misbehave. But at the same time rember that all horses no mater how well trained they are can still misbehave. He will be a safer animal having been taught not to bite, kick, run away with the rider or engage in other horselike but dangerous activities. A well-trained horse is also more likely then an untrained one to deal patiently with the oddities of untrained people. An untanned horse is like a car with out brakes: you can take it out for a spin, but you might just get killed. Or kill someone else. you may have the best of intentions, but with out experience, your barreling around with a creature that weighs over a thousand pounds and likes to do whatever he wants. As an " investment ", he is a liability. His potential for hurting someone is high, and his resale value is nil. A horse that hasn't been trained is worse than useless; he's dangerous. No one buys a horse just to watch him get fat and lazy ; You plan to ride him, work him, maybe even compete. If your horse can't be ridden safely, either he's going to spend a lot of time in the pasture, or someones going to get hurt. Training makes your horse accessible to you, and you have three options for making sure your horse is trained to be as useful and as safe as possible.

Horse -Sense Safety Tips
1) Never get a young horse for a young rider !
2) Always supervise children around horses.
3) Teach children about horse safety
4) Wear a properly-fit equestrian helmet
5) Do not wear loose fitting clothing as it may catch on tack, branches, fences, etc.
6 ) If you have a unbroke horse have a horse trainer come out and train your horse before someone gets hurt by it

Last I am trying to make new friends that may need help with Animal training Moderator edit: though it may be for advice, it's still advertising. So I"m deleting it and asking that anyone just DM Terry. Thanks!
Or if you know any one that might be intersted please pass this information on

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-17-2008 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: cleaned up bracketed info

Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Here's a question, not sure how to phrase it...

You know when you go to the pound, say to get a puppy. And as your walking through you catch the eyes of that one dog that you JUST KNOW is for you, do you have the same feeling with a horse.

What would best suit my riding needs and experience.
I could "connect" with a certain horse and have it be too far advanced for my riding experience. Which may lead to a bad situation and discourage me from riding.

Hope someone understands what I am trying to ask.
I am leaning on the performance part with the thought of BUILDING a bond with the horse, .

Oh boy, be carefull with that line of thinking girl. My horse, was the one with the big puppy dog eyes for only me, so of course I fell in love and had to have her at any expense. I was a novice and she wasn't even broke, her owner couldn't even catch her, but at the same time she would come running to the gate when I would call her. I bought her sent her off to be broke, and unfortunately, relized the trainer was abusive to her. She became so scared of everything it was dangerous, and came really close to injuring all of us when I brought her back to the original barn. Everyone told me to sell her to the glue factory, that she had a screw loose.

I am very stubborn and wouldn't listen, So 1 1/2 years later I am re-training her myself using Parelli, I thank god every day I found Parelli. I wouldn't trade her for another horse, because I love her too much. Also I know other people would wind up smacking her around, because they just don't understand her, she needs a lot of patients. So much more than anyone I know could ever give her.

We 'd probably be a lot farther along but the weather and work on our new fixer upper farm has really interupted our learning sessions. Can't wait till spring, or at least if I had a barn or indoor, that would be great.

So yes I know exactly what you mean, I do believe there is that horse you KNOW is FOR YOU, and you do get that same feeling with a horse. But that feeling can also like you said be for a horse that is far too advanced for you to deal with. Personally I have no regrets, except for sending her to the wrong trainer. She is much happier at home with me now, and she is an amazing horse, she has taught me so much, and we are building a wonderful relationship.

But my advice is fall in love with the horse that is compatable to your skill level needs, it makes for an easier and more joyful jorney. Plus a lot less tearless night knowing your in over your head.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,020,537 times
Kinda off topic from the latest line of messages, but I said I'd let everyone know how my own re-entry to the equestrian world is going.

So far, I've ridden twice in the past week. I've been riding Mark, a 20 year old flea-bitten grey arab. He doesn't look like he's twenty years old, and he's ready to go, but he's incredibly well trained, which is a good thing since my equitation is that of a Raggedy Ann doll at this point. I can feel how bad I look. *sigh*

Anyway, it'll get better as I get back into it, I'm sure. I was surprised the first time I rode him. I went on a trail ride w/the two women who run the farm. No one wore helmets. I may sound like a wimp, but I've always been one for wearing my riding hat. I don't care how experienced you are... something can happen.

So, the next time I went, I brought my own. Another weird quirk about the farm is that each horse has its own tack - saddle and bridle. The bridle I can understand, but my problem is the saddle. I mainly rode English in the past, with a little western here and there. Well, Mark's saddle is western. And, while my stirrups are probably the correct lenght for western riding, they're too long for English and I feel like I'm reaching.

It would be great if Mark was a western horse, but he is not. He has a trot like a pogo stick, and you have to post. I tried to raise the stirrups on Tuesday, but they're already on the highest hole. So, I'm kinda stuck in that respect.

I'm trying to do things their way at the farm (especially since it's possible it could turn into my graduate school internship) but it's difficult at this point. Hopefully, over time I might be able to bring my own saddle to use.

I hope I'm not making it sound too bad. I'm definitely enjoying myself, and it's good to be riding again.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Thanks for sharing !
I can understand your frustration with the saddle issue. Maybe it is because each saddle is "fitted" for each particular horse. I'm sure you know that with an ill fitted saddle, it can cause pain sometimes. And maybe because they are kind of like "lesson" horses, the owner wants them to be as comfortable as possible.
When someone suggested that I get my own saddle, I thought about this. "Did it really make sense to purchase a saddle before the horse, in a situation where the saddle wouldn't fit a particular horse that I may purchase in the future ?" BUT I got my saddle fairly inexpensive and it is probably a good a idea to have more than one saddle. Along with learning what I want in a horse, I have also gotten some ideas in what I want when I purchase my "new" saddle, as they can be quite expensive.
So maybe ridding in different saddles, you can get a feel for each type.
Think of it as a new adventure !
I'm glad you are having fun !

Keep us posted !

Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolive View Post
Oh boy, be carefull with that line of thinking girl. My horse, was the one with the big puppy dog eyes for only me, so of course I fell in love and had to have her at any expense. I was a novice and she wasn't even broke, her owner couldn't even catch her, but at the same time she would come running to the gate when I would call her. I bought her sent her off to be broke, and unfortunately, relized the trainer was abusive to her. She became so scared of everything it was dangerous, and came really close to injuring all of us when I brought her back to the original barn. Everyone told me to sell her to the glue factory, that she had a screw loose.

I am very stubborn and wouldn't listen, So 1 1/2 years later I am re-training her myself using Parelli, I thank god every day I found Parelli. I wouldn't trade her for another horse, because I love her too much. Also I know other people would wind up smacking her around, because they just don't understand her, she needs a lot of patients. So much more than anyone I know could ever give her.

We 'd probably be a lot farther along but the weather and work on our new fixer upper farm has really interupted our learning sessions. Can't wait till spring, or at least if I had a barn or indoor, that would be great.

So yes I know exactly what you mean, I do believe there is that horse you KNOW is FOR YOU, and you do get that same feeling with a horse. But that feeling can also like you said be for a horse that is far too advanced for you to deal with. Personally I have no regrets, except for sending her to the wrong trainer. She is much happier at home with me now, and she is an amazing horse, she has taught me so much, and we are building a wonderful relationship.

But my advice is fall in love with the horse that is compatable to your skill level needs, it makes for an easier and more joyful jorney. Plus a lot less tearless night knowing your in over your head.
Good advice ! Thank you.

I have given it a lot of thought since that post.
The horse first has to be compatible to my skills AND I do feel that the horse and I have to "click" so to speak.
I definitely do not want a horse that is going to greet me with teeth glaring or just has a nasty attitude. I want to be "happy" to see my horse, not thinking OMG what is it going to be like today.

I am definitely NOT ready to purchase any horse that is not broke broke.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Thanks for sharing !
I can understand your frustration with the saddle issue. Maybe it is because each saddle is "fitted" for each particular horse. I'm sure you know that with an ill fitted saddle, it can cause pain sometimes. And maybe because they are kind of like "lesson" horses, the owner wants them to be as comfortable as possible.
When someone suggested that I get my own saddle, I thought about this. "Did it really make sense to purchase a saddle before the horse, in a situation where the saddle wouldn't fit a particular horse that I may purchase in the future ?" BUT I got my saddle fairly inexpensive and it is probably a good a idea to have more than one saddle. Along with learning what I want in a horse, I have also gotten some ideas in what I want when I purchase my "new" saddle, as they can be quite expensive.
So maybe ridding in different saddles, you can get a feel for each type.
Think of it as a new adventure !
I'm glad you are having fun !

Keep us posted !
I guess it wouldn't be that much of an issue if I didn't already own my own saddles (English & Western) from the back in the day when I used to own horses. I've used both of my saddles on several different horses before, and never a problem. I can understand the horses comfort - but he's not sway backed or anything like that, so I don't think it would be that much of an issue. Like I said, I think I may slowly bring it up over time.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I guess it wouldn't be that much of an issue if I didn't already own my own saddles (English & Western) from the back in the day when I used to own horses. I've used both of my saddles on several different horses before, and never a problem. I can understand the horses comfort - but he's not sway backed or anything like that, so I don't think it would be that much of an issue. Like I said, I think I may slowly bring it up over time.
I haven't "experienced" problems with a saddle yet. But in reading, I have heard that a improperly fitted saddle can cause certain symptoms.

Have you inquired as to why each "horse" has its own saddle ?
When you do, I would be interested in the reply.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 AM

I think it's just more for organization purposes, to be honest with you. Each one has their own halter, shank, blanket (which all make sense), bridle, saddle and even brush box. There are a couple borders there, so I think it's a way to make sure nothing of theirs gets lost/damaged.

You can do a lot with saddle pads/lolipop pads, etc. to compensate for saddle fitting issues. I guess we'll see, and hopefully I'll stop reaching so much for the stirrups.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I think it's just more for organization purposes, to be honest with you. Each one has their own halter, shank, blanket (which all make sense), bridle, saddle and even brush box. There are a couple borders there, so I think it's a way to make sure nothing of theirs gets lost/damaged.

You can do a lot with saddle pads/lolipop pads, etc. to compensate for saddle fitting issues. I guess we'll see, and hopefully I'll stop reaching so much for the stirrups.
You can help fit a saddle with pads if the saddle is too wide. If the saddle is too narrow for the horse, no amount of padding in the world is going to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets