Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

This is a very generous landlord. No wonder her tenants rarely leave.

No pet, no apartment at North Hollywood complex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I don't know why all landlords cant be like this .

Old 07-01-2014, 02:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I'm a landlord and i wish I could be like this but I've had some bad experiences with tenants and dogs and even one with 3 cats.

I rent to graduate students and am lucky to have renters for more than 2 years. My duplexes have all hardwoods and some have been ruined by dog scratches and urine. Do you know how expensive it is to have hardwood floors refinished professionally!!!

One lady had 3 cats and during a surprise inspection( we had to be in there for A/C when she called from work) we found 2 litter trays which looked like they hadn't been emptied in 2 months. Litter and feces on the floor in the kitchen no less...very nasty indeed.

After that I had to make a no pet rule. Sometimes I go over there and see a cat hanging around a door but since I have no way of knowing who cat belongs to I don't say anything.

This wonderful lady has tenants who tend to stay decades. If it would keep tenants under lease longer I might reconsider but I don't think it would make much difference with my units.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
depending upon the local economy I think renting to people with pets can be a great niche markt for landlords.
When I owned my farm I rented two apartments there, both had tiled floors and double fenced yards.
I charged a $$$ premium for my apartments and did not use a lease. Both the tenant and I were able to give 30 days notice at any time, and that was key to keeping good tenants.
This way they knew I could give them notice if the place wasn't being kept nicely or their pet didn't 'fit' at our place.
Also I did not allow puppies under two years old or un neutered pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets