Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times

Advertisements

I would have to disagree with leaving cats alone for more than a day with no one checking on them. Accidents can happen. Cats can get into trouble - or sudden illness can appear literally overnight - and having someone there to make sure they are okay would be a must to me.

A couple of years ago I had a professional pet sitter come and take care of my dog (and two rabbits) when I had to make an unplanned trip home (family emergency). As I was talking to her about what would be involved, she related a story to me about what once happened when she was taking care of another family's cat. She walked into their home one morning to feed the cat and change the litter box and discovered that he'd somehow knocked over a glass item (may have been a lamp, I don't recall exactly now) during the night and managed to severely cut himself. She had to rush him to the vet, the blood loss was significant and, according to the vet, had he remained like that for much longer, he would have died.

I did used to leave my cats alone overnight - back when I still had cats - when I'd go to my sister's cottage for the weekend. Never did feel comfortable doing so, and I wouldn't do it again. To me, it's just much safer to have someone available to check in on pets on a daily basis. Much more peace of mind as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
We went on a 6 week cross country trip 2 years ago, we had a trusted neighbor come over everyday to feed the cats and change the kitty litter and take in any mail or flyers.
We returned thinking the cats would be over joyed at our return,they didnt even bother to wake up from their afternoon nap to celebrate our return.
lesson learned? cats dont think like we do ,they have an entirely different set of priorities.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We went on a 6 week cross country trip 2 years ago, we had a trusted neighbor come over everyday to feed the cats and change the kitty litter and take in any mail or flyers.
We returned thinking the cats would be over joyed at our return,they didnt even bother to wake up from their afternoon nap to celebrate our return.
lesson learned? cats dont think like we do ,they have an entirely different set of priorities.

My cats are usually all over me when we get home. But that only lasts for a few days and I'm old hat again.

Cat

Old 03-17-2017, 01:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
If you have more than one pet, they can keep each other company, and so can get by for a little longer without companionship. But regardless, I recommend hiring a cat sitter who will spend at least 30 minutes with your cat--not just run in and put some food out and leave.

I once was gone unexpectedly for nearly two months (medical emergency, completely unplanned). I got by with a menagerie of friends and family who looked in on my cat and spent some time with him, but he was definitely affected. Now whenever I'm gone for even one night, I come back and his eyes are caked in dried tears and he clings to me.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I once was gone unexpectedly for nearly two months (medical emergency, completely unplanned). I got by with a menagerie of friends and family who looked in on my cat and spent some time with him, but he was definitely affected. Now whenever I'm gone for even one night, I come back and his eyes are caked in dried tears and he clings to me.
This sounds very much like my last cat, Fritz. Actually this type of behaviour began happening once he entered his senior years. When he was young, Fritz would greet me happily if I'd been gone for a few days, then a few moments later all was right with his world again and he'd be off playing. However, once he was around 13-14, my trips out of town were beginning to upset him. I'd come back home and he would be all over me, and would be crying plaintively...and he'd be my little grey shadow for the rest of the day, not wanting to lose sight of me. So age might sometimes be a factor as well; an older cat might not be able to handle being left alone so easily as a youngster.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:32 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Borderline cruelty. My cousin did this and the cat was never the same. It totally freaked her out to be alone 24/7 for a long period of time.
Find someone to take the pets in their home.
Teenagers and kids flake, get sick, change their minds at the drop of a hat.
Highly advise against it. Pay someone trustworthy to keep the pet (s) at their place and do a house check first.
I agree. It's too easy for something to happen and the sitter not to come by, forget, have a personal issue, etc. Sure, cats are more independent, but they are your pets and you want them cared for properly. I have two Great Danes and whenever I am gone on vacation I leave them with a trusted petsitter who takes them into her home. I would never have to depend on someone to come to the house over and over. Also, with the petsitter there, they can quickly detect if there is a problem with your kitties, and if they are not present, your cat might become ill or something and they wouldn't notice for many hours.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 PM

510 posts, read 716,794 times
Yes, get a professional petsitter. Many are bonded and insured. My partner is a pet sitter and has discovered many home emergencies, including pets being sick, flooding in the basement, power outages, etc. Someone with good references should be dependable, unlike the teenager down the street or a neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets