Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My seven yr old daughter is obsessed with owning a snake. I don't have a problem with this idea but wondering if she'd be too young to care for one. Anyone with advise as to what would be involved would be much appreciated. Any recommendations on the type of snake that would be appropriate for a child? Should I just tell her to get a rat instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:05 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
No, you should contact Steve-O - he should be along shortly, he's a snake lover and can tell you most anything you want or need to know...hang tight or send him a direct message! He started a thread just below this one on the main pet page...just click on that thread, click on the first post, and then click on his name. You will be given an option to direct message him, but hopefully he'll answer here on the forum so we can all read.

Welcome to City Data!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks! It definitely looks like he knows his stuff after reading the post below! I'm just thankful my daughter isn't into spiders- now those really freak me out!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Hello!

Id recommend a kingsnake or cornsnake as a beginner, theyre wonderful. Make sure you go to an experienced breeder or well-reputed shop to pick one up. You should have the store clerk remove the snake and allow you or your daughter to handle it, to see what its temperament is like. Some kingsnakes/cornsnakes can be as docile as a shoestring, others are a bit more nervous/nippy. There are tons of kings/corns to choose from, so many different patterns, colors, etc. You can even find albino corns and kings for sale, they look really strange.

I recommend starting with a smaller specimen, around 12" or so. Pick up a 10 gallon tank with a locking lid, put down some pine shavings, a nice shelter for the snake to hide under, a water dish large enough for the snake to coil up in (which you will see your kingsnake do from time to time) and a few small climbs (I use driftwood) for the snake to wrap around and climb on. Feed the snake frozen pinkie mice that are thawed in hot water. I feed my kingsnake at least once a week, sometimes twice. As the snake gets larger, you can increase the feeder size. My kingsnake still eats the smallest pinkies you can find, my wife's kingsnake is on to larger fuzzy mice. Try not to ever feed your kingsnake live prey, as mice can attack and harm the snake. And come winter, youll see a slowdown in the snake's eating patterns. My wife's kingsnake doesnt eat for about 3 straight months in winter, while mine consistently eats. You should always offer them food anyways. Best way to do that is get some forceps and after the pinkie mouse has been thawed real good in hot water, dry it off and dangle it in front of the snake. If its interested, itll raise its head and the ol' tongue will start going beserk. Once it grabs the pinkie, let go with the forceps. The kingsnake is a constrictor and will immediately coil around the pinkie, thinking its actually killing it. At this point, leave the snake alone and allow it a few days to fully digest the mouse before handling the snake again.

I hope this helps a bit. I know its all over the place, but Im available to answer any questions you might have.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info Steve-o! It was very helpful. One more question, does the snake need to be kept warm or do I need to purchase some sort of heating element? Maybe I am confusing this with lizards?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Thanks for the info Steve-o! It was very helpful. One more question, does the snake need to be kept warm or do I need to purchase some sort of heating element? Maybe I am confusing this with lizards?
Youll be fine keeping them at room temp (72-80 degrees). Heating elements can actually burn the snakes. Just give them decent room to slither around, a few hides and climbs and a nice, big waterdish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets