Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

Figures shes going Northwest when I am heading South!
When Baby was 18 months I was working her with training cart, needless to say she spooked...headed right towards a new barbwire fence. Me I seen to many cowboy movies...thought I could hang on to her & all she would do is drag me. Nope she broke my arm...I had 2 operations to fix it. Now arthritis in it its 90% useless! Would I do it again HELL Yes! Ever seen a horse hung up in barbwire? I saw a colt killled wraped in it he was 2 months old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
Went to a hugh auction in KY, to look for a trail horse and spotted this little sorrel colt just weaned, of course I fell in love with the little guy. Had great papers the whole nine yards and when he turned I was sick to my stomach. From his knee to over his shoulder was ragged and no muscle left, you got it he tangle with barb wire. Had the vet check him and he said he was in for some long painful yrs and more surgery as he grew. I couldnt do it and I heard late that nite when we were loadin up that they put the little guy down. broke my heart I do not have one wire on my 15 acres its 4 rail wood, pita but...

Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
What is going to be right for me is very confusing. The good thing is I can take my time and gather information. I think what is practicle is a share board - I know I could commit to 3 days a week of riding and would be willing to travel 30 -40 minutes each way to do so. I am intimidated about keeping a horse on my property (if I had the property to do so) and not knowing what to do. Keeping a horse on my property would allow me to control his/her environment, but then I couldn't keep him/her alone - that wouldn't be fair and what if we go on vacation? And what about finding the right barn? I would be horrified if someone manhandled my horse - discipline is one thing, but "cowboying" is another. Horses are sensitive and strong creatures. Cruelty is not something I would tolerate.

It's a huge committment and I appreciate all of you feedback as I take my time considering what is right for me. I don't care about a horse's looks, only that it is strong enough to carry me, safe, good tempered, healthy and likes to trail ride ( and of course some other things).

Please do keep the information coming. Thanks!
If you have been taking lessons than I would have that person come to look at horses with you. There are people who will lie to a greenhorn that is a sad fact. Your trainer will know what is a good horse for you.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Cant save them.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
Hi Miborn - I will definitely have a knowledgeable horse person help me find a horse if I decide to get one. I know that I am at a disadvantage picking up horses so late in life - I need an expert or two to help me find the right one.

Katie - I understand your passion - I had a similar discussion with a young girl on another forum who wanted to adopt a dog and was in college - she was fretting over the cost of the added security deposit. I have always had pets and I volunteer for a dog rescue and understand the importance of being ready to accept full responsibility for an animal. I support PMU rescues, write and call my representatives about animal welfare issues and stay pretty well informed about what's going on in the rescue world - horse and dog. I realize it isn't mucking out a stall at 4:00 am, or walking a sick horse all night, but I would if that's what they needed. I also want to be sure I am not ever in the position to not be able to provide medical care to an animal because of cost. I have paid for medical care for my dogs that others have said I should have just put them down. That's just not me, if they can recover and have quality of life, it's my responsibility to take care of them. So I understand where you are coming from and really appreciate your feedback.

I am wondering if there are any people who have successfully owned a horse who have full time careers. If you did or do, how did/do you make it work? Anybody have any more input about share boarding or leasing a horse? How about boarding? I live in the Chicago area, so as I said I can't keep a horse in my back yard, but there are plenty of boarding facilities. The good news is I am not in any hurry.

I appreciate your feedback - I am learning a lot. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM

I would not share or board. IF you are buying a place for horses in a year or two I would wait. Keep learning. With a full time job its harder still to find the time.
What type of horse are you wanting? When I purchased Baby I told the guy my price range & Had to have Mane Tail & Nicker otherwise I did not care. When I purchased my sons horse I want a child proof bomb proof horse.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Get up a 4 am those 3 days a week & muck stalls & clean tack. Be there to meet the vet when ever he comes. Stay up when there is a sick horse needing tending. Dont forget to got to work after suport your hubby . But for awhile do everything with going to the stable FIRST. In 6 months you still want a horse get back to me.
Oh NONE of my injuries happened on top of the horse!! When you can say that you would get hurt FIRST BEFORE you will let the horse get hurt on killed Then you are ready for a horse.
Wow so negative!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
For me I think when/if I buy a horse I would want the kind of horse you could put a child on. I want to trial ride and would love a pocket pony. My heart would love a rescue, my head says that's just too much horse for a newbie (I at least have heard the saying green + green = black and blue).

I don't really care so much about the breed, or papers, color, or gender. I feel the best horse for me is a bomb proof pocket pony that is somewhere between 10 and 18 (I have to keep my age in mind). That's just what I think based on the very little I know. I also want to feel a connection to the horse.

Again, thanks for the feedback - keep it coming oh wise horse people!

Oh yes- and if you can talk about costs - that would help me a lot.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Many people have full time jobs and have horses that is how they pay for them! Haha
Boarding is good when you are learning also ask to participate in the feedings where you take lessons and anything else they will let you be involved with.

It seems to much to handle but really it is not. Especially not if you board and that is the nice thing about boarding your horse.
Maybe leasing is a good way to go and the shared I would really look at their riding style to yours and ask your trainer what they think it maybe a good fit or not as others have said people can really be different with their style.
Good Luck.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
For me I think when/if I buy a horse I would want the kind of horse you could put a child on. I want to trial ride and would love a pocket pony. My heart would love a rescue, my head says that's just too much horse for a newbie (I at least have heard the saying green + green = black and blue).

I don't really care so much about the breed, or papers, color, or gender. I feel the best horse for me is a bomb proof pocket pony that is somewhere between 10 and 18 (I have to keep my age in mind). That's just what I think based on the very little I know. I also want to feel a connection to the horse.

Again, thanks for the feedback - keep it coming oh wise horse people!

Oh yes- and if you can talk about costs - that would help me a lot.
The cost is different for each area. Maybe HT people could help you there as there are people from that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets