Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:28 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

Also, in regard to your concerns about the responses, I think C-D is pretty good...I have had really bad experiences at other forums where it seems everyone thinks they are the only person qualified to own a pet. I'm sure it comes from loving animals and concern from them, but yeah, it can be frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
I use to want a ferret until i found out how curious they are. Gnaw on power cords, borrow in here and there, go in dangerous spots. It is almost like having a super curious child. I also hear they have a sent to them, being apart of the skunk family? A hedgehog i would not want as a pet.

Maybe try gardening or something?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Our kids have never chewed on cords. A home is never ferret proof enough, the kids find everything fascinating.
There is very little odor as long as you keep the litterbox clean. What's funny about ferrets - people think they stink and wash them a lot. The washing brings their body oils up and make them smell worse. The best way to keep them smelling fresh is clean bedding.

A big warning for all considering ferrets. Ferrets cost a lot to keep healthy. We were out $10,000 last year in vet bills for 7 ferrets. Four of them passed away within 2008.
Ferrets steal your heart, you just don't miss the wallet till later.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 932 times
i have three dwarf rabbits they are the cutest if you want to get rid of your netherland email me we can come up with something

Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've had ferrets for 18 years now. Currently, I have just one, named Stripper.

Why Stripper? Because of our late night walks (2am-4/5am with fewer people around) on the Las Vegas Strip, twice a week. He's become a celebrity down there, known to valets, Door men, security guards, tourists, homeless people and even some street hookers who now recognize him.

He hops on escalators and the moving sidewalks (always make sure I pick him up before being shredded at the end), knows an elevator when he sees one now (tries to open the door with his paws), poses for photo's from the tourists or with tourists holding him, and has this uncanny ability to remember which parking ramp we parked at, but once up on the floor, he can't seem to remember where the car is parked.

We have so much fun on that Strip at night, and he's so accustomed to tourists wanting to pet him and hold him, sometimes he falls off to sleep as they're holding him. One night he led me to a $50 bill lying on the sidewalk in front of the Palazzo, other times he's steered me to spilled coins. Last week he hit upon a wet $10 bill lying in the grass. That animal has a smell for money, and paying his way!

Come this summer in Las Vegas, with ferrets being heat sensitive, we'll have to forgo our Strip walks until it cools down, which is going to be met with resistance, as he gets too bored around our neighborhood now. Gee Dad! Where's the moving sidewalks? The escalators? B-o-r-i-n-g!!! Animals, like humans, desire stimuli as well!

It's the California tourists who are the most amazed/curious as they see me and Stripper walking down the Strip. They're the ones more often wanting a photo op with him, and are seeking all kinds of info on owning a ferret.

I met a tourist from Russia one nite, had never seen one before, was so taken with my ferret, she was going to try and buy one and smuggle it back to Russia.

I get so tired of these people, the first thing they say, when they see my ferret: Oh! They bite! Gee whiz! Even human beings are known to bite other human beings!

My animal has never seen a cage, wouldn't know what one looks like. He also has a private 20X24 outdoor jungle-like patio.

Spoiled rotten to the core!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM

24 posts, read 50,379 times
one of each, no question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets