Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times

Advertisements

I love my pets don't get me wrong, but if your pet had to go through a $5000 surgery and there was only a 40% chance of him making it... you have no problem handing over the cash then and there? Do you even have that much to just fork over? I've spent a huge chunk of change on my animals, but I have to say that I would have a limit. Although I don't exactly have a specific number, I just can't spend that kind of money that I don't have to begin with. And before you all go off on 'how I shouldn't own animals if I am not willing to spend my life savings on them blah blah blah' I just want you to know that I am a very responsible pet owner and they are spoiled rotten, but there is a limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
I would spend whatever necessary on my pet if it was sick, assuming I could still put food on the table and pay the mortgage.

I understand when low-income people can't spend much on their pets. But, so often, I hear solidly middle-class people who live very comfortable lives say that they won't spend much on their pets. I'm talking about people with very nice houses, nice furniture, new cars every three years, etc. How can people spend thousands on "things," but refuse to spend money on your pets when they're sick?

I wouldn't want to make the decision to treat or not treat my pets based on money. I want to make that decision based on the expected outcome of the treatment and the quality of life for the pet. Would I spend thousands for a treatment with a small chance of success on an older pet that would likely be in pain throughout the treatment recovery? Of course not.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I would spend whatever necessary on my pet if it was sick, assuming I could still put food on the table and pay the mortgage.

I understand when low-income people can't spend much on their pets. But, so often, I hear solidly middle-class people who live very comfortable lives say that they won't spend much on their pets. I'm talking about people with very nice houses, nice furniture, new cars every three years, etc. How can people spend thousands on "things," but refuse to spend money on your pets when they're sick?

I wouldn't want to make the decision to treat or not treat my pets based on money. I want to make that decision based on the expected outcome of the treatment and the quality of life for the pet. Would I spend thousands for a treatment with a small chance of success on an older pet that would likely be in pain throughout the treatment recovery? Of course not.
A few years ago my husband and I got back from a week long vacation and I noticed that one of our cats had pale gums and her eyes were yellowing. (my mother cared for the cats during our vacation and said she sisn't notice anything) We took her to the Emergency Vet, because of course it was a Friday night. Well they admitted her and did xrays and blood tests. She stayed at the ER vet all weekend and was transferred to my regular vet Monday morning. Two months went by without her eating (I had to force feed her and we had to hydrate her with an IV) and had lost almost 75% of her original weight. She had blood tests and ultrasounds and even a liver biopsy. The vets couldn't tell us what was wrong. She was on medications and was just getting worse and worse. It was Christmas weekend that we made the descision to stop her medications, because there was no quality of life for her. Within 24 hours she was eating and within 48 hours she was just as good as new (except for she looked starved). We had spent a grand total of about $4000 before we called it quits and the only reason we did was there was no prognosis of what was wrong with her and it didn't look like she would ever recover. I call her our Christmas Miracle Kitty. To this day we have no idea what was wrong or why it suddenly got better.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM

71 posts, read 110,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynorrhagia View Post
For your information, people are no more important than animals. In fact, if you ask me, many animals have more of a right to live than many humans.

Moderator cut: personal attack
How many others here believe animals' lives are at least equal to people's? I bet not many. If you believe that, Gyn, there probably isn't a lot of room for agreement on this topic.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 15,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie View Post
How many others here believe animals' lives are at least equal to people's? I bet not many. If you believe that, Gyn, there probably isn't a lot of room for agreement on this topic.
Better take a second look,Moderator cut: trolling . So far every respondent has said they would spend whatever is needed for their pets to survive. Sounds like they agree with me and not you.

Last edited by leorah; 03-16-2009 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: trolling/patronizing

Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie View Post
I believe that a life is a life, be it human or canine or feline or equine or bovine or porcine or.........

Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
So to the people that find their children and pets equally...

If you found out that your child was deathly allergic to your dog then you are saying that you would have a hard decision deciding which one to get rid of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynorrhagia View Post
Better take a second look,Moderator cut: trolling . So far every respondent has said they would spend whatever is needed for their pets to survive. Sounds like they agree with me and not you.
Apparently you haven't read all the posts. I know at least three people on here that have said they would have a limit.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 AM

337 posts, read 826,430 times
I love my family and I would do whatever I could. No limit. Our family (cat and dog) make us happy and we chose them and we made a commitment to them.

Just how I feel. If they were sick I would make them better if I could. Just like my husband.

If my husband were allergic to one of them, I would send him to an allergist for shots. I am actually allergic to our cat and I deal with it. I talked to my allergist and if it gets bad, I get a shot. He isn't going anywhere, We love him and he loves us. Funny though I have had cats my whole life and had no idea I was allergic to them.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM

283 posts, read 892,756 times
Quote:
If you found out that your child was deathly allergic to your dog then you are saying that you would have a hard decision deciding which one to get rid of?
As Ms. 01 Snake said quite well, shots can tone down the symptoms. Frequent baths for your animal is also another. Vacuum and clean your house often including wiping down your walls. Getting rid of pets is NOT the first or only solution when a family member is allergic.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 AM

337 posts, read 826,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcher View Post
As Ms. 01 Snake said quite well, shots can tone down the symptoms. Frequent baths for your animal is also another. Vacuum and clean your house often including wiping down your walls. Getting rid of pets is NOT the first or only solution when a family member is allergic.
I got a plan from my DR. What to do and not do. I try to keep him off my pillow and bed. This does not work as he sleeps next to me every night. I have an air purifier in our room and we try and keep our house dusted and vacuumed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets