Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times

Advertisements

Long story short, took my dog to the lake 23 miles out and he threw up all over the car. Is there anything that one can buy to help settle his stomach before we travel to avoid this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,286,387 times
You can try; not feeding him beforehand, making certain he can see where he's going (many get motion sickness due not being able to see out a window), if you need to feed him give him a Pepto after discussing it with your vet.

My question, did he drink any water from the lake or did you provide bottled water or water bottled from home? Lake water can be full of giardia which can make both dogs and humans quite ill.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM

We didnt go down to lake levels. And the last time he ate was about 7 hours before we got in the car.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,255,342 times
I agree, don't feed him if you are going to put him in the car. Many dogs just get so excited or stressed out that they vomit.

Below is a link to a site that has herbal remedies for motion sickness. I can't personally recommend any of these products, my dog LOVES to ride in the car.

http://www.nomoremotionsickness.com/...nSickness.html

Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,286,387 times
My other thought is that if the car sickness is abnormal for him, then I'd suggest getting him examined for ear infections.

As mentioned not feeding, the same goes for water or giving the very minimal.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Ive only had him a few weeks and this is the first time. His breeder did say he dosent travel well. The road to the lake is very windy and up and down so i can see why it happened there and not on straight highways etc. I plan to take him to the lake as much as possible, as hes a family member, not just a dog to me.

Ill look into getting some of them herbal remedies, thanks!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:53 PM

157 posts, read 564,888 times
I had a beagle who used to get sick. I started taking her for short rides at night when it was dark. She got used to it and eventually did fine all the time.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:53 AM

389 posts, read 3,540,440 times
When I was in college, I did dog training for a lab credit, and there was a woman there with a dog who got terribly car sick in a very short amount of time after getting in the car. Medically, she was told to not feed the dog before hand and that you can give things like pepto to help calm the stomach. Psychologically (forgive me, I was a psych major ) she started taking baby steps to get her dog used to being in the car without getting all worked up and overly excited. She started by just sitting in the driveway in the car with the dog, then just going down the block and back, and gradually working up the distance. Getting the dog to be comfortable and relaxed in the car may make a big difference. Maybe have him/her lay down in the car and just pet her and get her to relax and work your way up. Also having something familiar there may help...a bed/blanket, favorite toy, maybe one of your shirts or something that smells like you so she feels at home.

Good luck with this...both of my dogs love the car and sometimes when we get home from somewhere, my older one will just lay in there until he gets curious about what else is going on and then he comes in, I love having them as travel companions, so I hope you're able to break your dog of the sickness so you can enjoy her company too

Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,471,819 times
Yes, there is something that you can give them. We also had a beagle who got car sick and your vet will be able to give you meds for your dog. It just seems to take so long for the meds to wear off and your dog's eyes will look kind of glazed over and he'll be a bit sluggish, but I understand it's just as safe as the things that we take for motion sickness.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:28 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,382,989 times
BrianH - hope this helps a little - we have had our Whippet for 10 months. He is about 3 years old. Whippets are known to get car sick.

My guy goes to the office with me every day and for the first 3 -4 months he got sick every morning just before arriving at the office or upon arrival.

I learned not to give him breakfast until after we arrived at work. Then gradually started gaving him a small breakfast before leaving the house. Now he doesn't get car sick at all and has learned how to brace himself when I take a corner a little too fast or too sharp. :-)

In our case, the more opportunities he had to ride in the car the better until he grew out of the problem. Good luck - I know it's disconcerting.

PS - Yes, pepyo

Last edited by jhlcomp; 04-05-2007 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets