Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 AM

261 posts, read 944,721 times

Advertisements

Last year we moved to WI with our 1 & 1/2 year old staffi. We had a 6 foot fence installed in a very large space wrapping around 3 sides of the house to give her lots of protected space. Having moved from the city we knew it would be our responsibility to ensure she was safe and also caused no harm to other animals that in the country are always running through your fields, like other dogs, deer, raccoons, turkey, rabbits, groundhogs, chipmunks, and some I am sure I have yet to see but are there. Let me not forget the cows, you may have seen another thread "Cows in the yard, HELP"

Since we moved here though, we have had an issue with one neighbor and their dog. The neighbors and us have become friendly and have shared many BBQ's, lunches, and drinks so far. Unfortunately though they have not been able to grasp our sincerity in asking that they please not let their dog on our property or especially bring him over when they visit. It drives our dog into a complete frenzy that does not stop until their dog is taken home. The husband has time after time seen that his dog is crossing the road and field to come to our house and will stand on our deck, all while our dog is frantically barking and jumping, and shout at the top of his lungs at their dog to go home. The husband and wife will every time say " I don't know why he keeps coming over?", yet will not keep the dog inside their house when they do come over, it is an inside and outside dog. I have never seen them leave the dog outside of the house alone any other time they leave their house except when they come over to our house. The husband has also commented on many occasions that we should let him toss his dog into our dog’s yard and they will then become friends. I do not know how much more I can express to him how wrong he is, I have even said my fear is our dog would kill his dog, being she is very protective of our home from other animals. People she will lick all day and show off her toys.

Yesterday, their dog again came across the road; it is at least a 7-9 acre distance, to our house while our dog was in her yard. While inside our house I heard what sounded like our dog. When going downstairs my partner noticed my dad was walking up the driveway with our dog on a leash. Dad was visiting and would NEVER take our dog for a walk; he is not a dog person. Once he came onto the deck he told us our dog had just fought with the neighbor’s dog and had chewed their dog up. He also told us when he noticed something outside the sliding glass door their dog was in our driveway up close to the house and our dog had jumped the six foot fence. She has never done this before and we had no idea she even could. I think the aggravation of their dog being back again was just too much for her to ignore. She chased their dog all the way back to his house and this is where the fight took place and was ended by the wife grabbing a leash and putting it on our dog at which point she released their dog and waited to be taken home, the husband was screaming his head off and just trying to pull them apart with his hands.

Right then the neighbor called and told my partner what happened to their dog. She also told my partner that they had seen their dog crossing the road and running towards the woods at the bottom of our property and had discussed and decided between the two of them that the dog probably had seen a deer and would come home eventually. Having no consideration again of the 3 or more dozen times we have asked them to not let their dog on our property.

So far we have spoken to the neighbors a few times and the wife is saying this is not a situation that will end our friendship or bring about any legal dealings. However, after three phone conversations last night we have not heard what the final word is on how their dog is doing. Nor did they ask how our dog is and if she had been hurt. Fortunately she just had lots of tooth cuts and small punctures on her face and ears, but no other issues and is healing with our tender care.

So after the long details, here is my question, which of us is responsible if this were to end up a discussion over any type of vet. expenses or legal responsibility? My dad was afraid the neighbors would call the police, I could not understand why. Our dog did what she is supposed to do and what is natural, protect her space. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions about this type of circumstance? Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,301,359 times
Unfortunately, I think it is your responsibility to at least pay for some of the damages. Although he/she may have been your property, it is your responsibility to see to it that your dog is properly restrained. So for example, lets say the mail man comes on your property to drop off the mail. He's on your property, but that doesn't mean he deserves to get attacked. That being said - your neighbors also have a responsibility to keep their dog in their yard. You might say to them, "we will pay for half the med bills, but can we come to an agreement about keeping your dog in your yard so this does not happen again?"

You should also try to train your dogs not to be so aggressive. My dogs are the same way when it comes to barking. They bark at almost everyone that walks by. But you should try to train your dog to recognize who is a threat and who is not. Your neighbors dog does not seem like a threat. You need to train your dog to recognize that.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,435,544 times
What about fencing in all sides of the yard so the dogs are totally separated, that may work (you could share the cost of the fence in between the houses) as just 3 sides are now.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
wow that is a hard one. your neighbor should not be allowing his dog to just run free. there should be a leash law. the dog could get lost or run over. not to mention when it comes into your yard getting your dog upset. however with that being said your dog should not be able to get out of his yard. you may need a 9 foot fence and one your dog can not see through in any way. I would hope that perhaps you could share any vet expenses. remind your neighbor that the dog should not be able to run free. if your neighbor does not want to keep his dog in his own yard then I would have a problem with him as that is not the way to be a responsible pet owner. both dogs need to be safe

Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,562,766 times
It's a sad story, and I understand your frustration. I agree with the earlier post that you do share responsibility for the vet expenses. I also think you should put your dog in a kennel, not an open yard. I am sorry to say it, but any dog that is capable of that kind of vicious behavior should be more contained.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 PM

593 posts, read 2,897,287 times
I skimmed the post so forgive me if I am not understanding but I think if their loose dog came on to your property then was mauled, as awful that is to have happen, I don't see how they could blame you. You could have been using a tractor and the lose dog get hit by a tractor.
Bad things happen to loose dogs. This is something that a lot of people don't seem to "get". Now that said, having an aggressive dog, if you don't want that mauled dog to be a mauled child, consider a kennel. with 4 sides and a top.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,663,736 times
Well, having a pit bull is like having a loaded gun, it's your responsibility to keep the kids (and other Dogs) away,,I know it's prejudice against the breed, but it is deserved....
In most towns it is always the Pits fault, and in Rural areas if they run free they usually get lead poisioning

Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,301,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well, having a pit bull is like having a loaded gun, it's your responsibility to keep the kids (and other Dogs) away,,I know it's prejudice against the breed, but it is deserved....
In most towns it is always the Pits fault, and in Rural areas if they run free they usually get lead poisioning
I think whenever you have an aggressive breed or just an aggressive dog in general - it is more important that you have them properly trained. I don't agree with the advice for the enclosed kennel, however. If a dog is trained properly you shouldn't need to keep them in a cage.

To the OP. Your best bet is to work out something with the neighbor and get your dog trained, like Yesterday! You should be able to walk down the street with your dog on a leash without him/her lunging and trying to attack every animal that walks by.

I recommend the Cesar Millan books. I am a big fan of his. I know there will probably be people who disagree, but I think his tactics work, especially for aggressive dogs like your pit. You should also try positive reinforcement - clicker training with treats.

I hope you find some sort of resolution. Its unfortunate something like this happened.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,562,766 times
You are entitled to your own opinion, but mine is that a dog is an animal completely dependent on its owner, and the owner ALWAYs has full responsibility for its actions. There are no vicious breeds, there are only dogs that are poorly bred, poorly socialized, and/or poorly trained. These are all owner controlled factors.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM

593 posts, read 2,897,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I don't agree with the advice for the enclosed kennel, however. If a dog is trained properly you shouldn't need to keep them in a cage.
Let's talk about this.
When I said kennel, I didn't mean a travel carrier. I meant a big outdoor kennel like a 12'x12' or 12x20' fenced in area.
A kennel is humane and responsible shelter.

Keeping your pet restrained within a shelter when the animal cannot be supervised is the responsible thing to do. This not only keeps others safe, it keeps your pet safe from attack from other dogs or wildlife that get loose.

Regardless of training, this type of breed needs supervision. This breed has a lot of fighter dog genes, the jaws are deadly even if you have the sweetest dog in the world, the jaws are still as powerful as they come. This is not just any breed. That is why there are so many BSL laws.

But I will add, all dogs need supervision when outdoors or you run the risk of very bad things happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.