Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times

Advertisements

So you've decided to adopt a pet from a rescue. Wonderful! You've researched the animals you're considering, inquired to the procedure, what the adoption fee includes, and you've all but laid down that first bowl of food.

You've submitted the application for your new addition and have been approved... on paper. Please keep in mind that when the application is submitted, the rescue is under the impression that you have definitely decided on bringing a pet into your home. The one you've applied for may not be the one, it happens frequently, and that's ok. What's NOT ok is meeting the animal, applying for it, leaving a deposit, make a date for the home visit, then cancel because certain things you should have done BEFORE applying are not done.

Here are those things:

Make sure your live-in/spouse is on the same page. Bring them with you to meet the animal. Bring your current pet, too.

Secure WRITTEN permission from your landlord/HOA that you can bring this animal home.

Won't be in town a week after bringing him home? Arrange for care for the animal, DON'T ask me to hold it until you get back. I'm not a pet-sitter. As a matter of fact, if you have to leave town right after the adoption, please don't apply until you get back.

So you say you want the puppy/kitty for your grandkid. Fine, if the animal lives with you, but not fine if the grandchild and his/her parent (your kid) lives with you and the parent isn't too keen on the idea and is in a constant battle with the other parent.

So, in a nutshell, don't apply unless you're able to actually keep the animal once the home visit is completed, The entire household is agreeable to the adoption, as is the landlord/HOA. And expect to pay a daily fee for pet-sitting, if you have the gall to ask.

Poor Lily had 3 adoptions fall thru, in the last 2 weeks because the girlfriend tried to pull the wool over her boyfriend's and HOA's eyes, one spouse did not speak up when the application was filled out by the other spouse, and if I'd known earlier the grandkid was only 2 years old with disinterested, warring parents, I wouldn't have had you even bother to fill out the application.

Lily:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Oh how very sad for Lily. But thank you very much for these wonderful tips. We have been thinking of getting another dog from the rescue. Without sounding ignorant, is it better to get a pet from a shelter, or a rescue, is one better over the other. Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh how very sad for Lily. But thank you very much for these wonderful tips. We have been thinking of getting another dog from the rescue. Without sounding ignorant, is it better to get a pet from a shelter, or a rescue, is one better over the other. Thanks
Well, I think you can make a more informed decision adopting from a rescue. Typically, a rescue has their dogs in foster homes. The foster family is able to assess the dog's personality, quirks, etc. Many teach them basic obedience commands. The foster home is able to make a match for the dog to a suitable home.

Your application helps the rescue to match a dog to fit your lifestyle. Perhaps the one you want would not be a good fit, but they may have another dog that would.

It is more expensive to adopt from a rescue than a shelter/pound. However, a reputable rescue will have the dog fully vaccinated, spayed/neutered, dewormed, and flea/tick treated (Frontline, Advantage, whichever).

Now, when you do adopt from a shelter, you take a bigger chance in that most dogs are a bit "shell-shocked" from being in that environment. The volunteers may see a shy, withdrawn dog, but once you get him home for a couple of days, he may be the most happy-go-lucky dog you could ever come across. If you do consider a dog at a shelter, spend some time with him and talk to the volunteers.

Both of my dogs I got from shelters, and they've worked out great. My first dog, I let the shelter volunteer make a suggestion as to which dog may be suitable for my home and lifestyle. She was a bit shell-shocked, and was fine after about 3 days. Now she's my heart dog. LOVE HER TO DEATH! My 2nd dog had medical issues (expensive) and is special needs (deaf and allergies), but she is the sweetest thing, well behaved, and overall generally healthy now.

So, when looking for your next dog, keep in mind what you want and can handle, and what you can also offer to that dog. What you adopt may be so far from what you started searching for.

By the way, I'm in the Inland Empire if you want to meet Lily! Just sayin'.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Now, when you do adopt from a shelter, you take a bigger chance in that most dogs are a bit "shell-shocked" from being in that environment. The volunteers may see a shy, withdrawn dog, but once you get him home for a couple of days, he may be the most happy-go-lucky dog you could ever come across. If you do consider a dog at a shelter, spend some time with him and talk to the volunteers.
this is a very good point. dogs can behave very differently in the shelter and at home once they've settled in.

my neighbors adopted a very quiet, calm dog from a local shelter. she had kennel cough (the shelter was aware of this and treating her) and when she got better and relaxed, she was suddenly a very hyper, energetic dog! luckily they are ok with that, but you do have to keep that in mind when adopting from a shelter. i won't discourage people from doing it (my dog came from a shelter and she's practically perfect, and didn't change much at all from the day i met her), but if you have very specific requirements for a dog's personality, it is better to get one who's been fostered. many shelters do foster out dogs, so rescues aren't always your only option.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Also wanted to mention, many rescues get their dogs from shelters. So a lot of people say you should adopt from a shelter and save a life, but by adopting from a rescue that pulls from shelters, you're still saving a life. Once I have one adopted I go to the shelter and pull another. The difference is I'm able to evaluate that pet's true behavior and temperament, get it fully vetted and make note of any medical issues it may have, get it housebroken if it's not already, and begin basic obedience before you bring it home. Same dog, it's just had more time and money invested in it. I do that because studies have shown dogs that are pre-trained are much less likely to be returned than say a dog from a shelter that has no manners in the home at all.

Great post BTW!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I have adopted from people (Craig's List), shelter, and rescues. I think you 'know' which dog is yours no matter where the source. I have yet to get a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets