Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, didn't get it up last Spring. But, I will this year!

I don't think I have to worry about scouts until Mid March but will get the house up by Valentine's day.
I hope so. There's a homeless purple martin somewhere hoping you do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I hope so. There's a homeless purple martin somewhere hoping you do as well.
I hope you are correct. With the recent massive blackbird die offs I've been worried if it might hit the purple martins during their migration too.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I hope you are correct. With the recent massive blackbird die offs I've been worried if it might hit the purple martins during their migration too.
The thought had never crossed my mind. Until now of course...

Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemartinman View Post
Gourd houses are the best for the martins because they are much larger and stay cooler. But, please, DO NOT put up a metal house here in Texas. They literally cook the eggs and baby birds.
Get more information from Purple Martin Propagators in Austin, TX:
Purple Martin Propagators Poly Gourd Bird Houses for sale in Texas
I have to disagree a little. When I was growing up we had about eleven generations with a success rate over 97% in an array of aluminum houses in that sub-tropical anti-paradise commonly known as Houston, TX. After trying for two seasons we had our first successful clutch last year out of an aluminum house (sparrow control was the missing ingredient). All birds hatched without incident and headed south on time in spite of a pretty nasty Houston summer. As long as the house is oriented to get minimal direct sun through the portals or will be shaded in the afternoon the birds do fine. Also, while martins will exhibit a preference for slightly larger cavity dimensions than 6"x6", they just aren't very picky this far south and I would conservatively estimate that greater than 50% of the world's purple martins fledged in 6"x6" cavities.

No doubt the gourds are great, but I think that martins raised in houses look for houses first and martins raised in gourds look for gourds first. Probably the best compromise for serious martineers is to keep both.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM

I've seen those with gourds paint them white. Is that the best way or can they be left "natural"? I was thinking it might be good, if I want to go the gourd route, to plant some gourds this summer for the 2012 Spring migration.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM

Anyone actually seen Martin one? I was at least seeing some singles and small migration flights at this time last year. Maybe the weather?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:41 PM

Not actually but should in about 3 weeks if estimated averages are correct. Was stunned to see a significant number of Robins were returning this week as the snow melted.

Link shows they are showing up as far as central to N. Arkansas.

2011 Scout Arrival Page

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM

Heard the first martins today. They were a fair distance away and I wasn't sure if it was a mockingbird messing with me or not, but then I saw a group of five light on a power line about 100 yards away. Very distinctive silhouette, those martins, and an even more distinctive song.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM

My martins have returned... The pair that fledged a clutch last year returned to the same hole. A male sparrow tried to run them off, but the martins fought him all the way to the ground. Some may not agree, but I shot that sparrow later with a light air rifle and his mate an hour or so later.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM

I HATE sparrows. The pair that raised a clutch last year is sitting on eggs, but the first year birds that built a nest w/o laying in 2010 have been run off by the sparrows, as have the various newcomers looking for a home. I tear out sparrows' nests once a week, have trapped about 15 or 20 this year and have dispatched at least that many with the pellet gun but there is, quite literally, a never ending horde of sparrows trying to take over my martin house and I'm afraid that I may not be able to establish a thriving colony with such intense competition. I may leave the house open after the martins leave and really start pressing an attack on the sparrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets