Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,351 times

Advertisements

Well I think you should probably be looking in Somerset and Middlesex counties. I would say Bridgewater Twp, Raritan, Somerville, and Middlesex areas all might be possibilities, but am not positive on prices and definitely not on schools. Make sure you ask in the New Jersey forum, they will be able to give you better information about living in Central and North Jersey. All the places I mentioned have decent commutes to Morristown. Bridgewater Twp is the closest but I think it might be above your price range, not sure of the entry point there.

There should be other places that people in the Jersey forum could suggest that will be near New Brunswick that will also be good and possibly a bit more reasonably priced than closer to Morristown (which is an expensive area). Being closer to New Brunswick, will also put you a closer distance to Princeton.

Don't look for taxes on Zillow. For that part of Jersey, use www.gsmls.com, it will give you accurate tax information on each home you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Whew! Glad to see that you're as concerned about the commute as we were. You may also want to check into the New Jersey forum here as well.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
You can also go west of Morristown into western Morris County..Sussex County
Most people I know that commute to Morristown area from PA are in the Pocono's or Lehigh Valley area..I can not stress this enough..IT IS A GOD AWFUL COMMUTE....especially during winter when we can have ice & snow...

Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,972 times
I think New Brunswick would be a perfect location for you ... you would be 20-30 min from your friend in Princeton, and also only 45 minutes from your husbands job (so the same commute he has now). Wilmington would take more like 2 hours, but if it's only occasionally thats not horrible..

I agree w the pp, I do not recommend the Poconos either. In the winter that commute is AWFUL, tons of accidents, traffic, etc due to the snow.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM

188 posts, read 416,467 times
I am considering moving to Bucks County myself, specifically Doylestown. I was working in Parsippany, NJ (very close to Whippany) and commuted from Long Island so I know how much the commute can get to you. Doylestown to Parsippany, is probably 75 minutes taking Rte 202 to I-287 and a bit more using I-78 during rush hour.

It would not make sense for her to live in the Poconos if she wants to be able to get to Wilmington, DE. I don't know much about central NJ but I'd suggest either Warren County or Hunterdon County, NJ - both really nice areas. She could also consider living in Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area of PA if property taxes are concerned.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,972 times
Kisel - if you are working in Parisppany, you may want to reconsider Doylestown as an option and go more for Washington Crossing, Yardley or Newtown... it will definitely ease some traffic on the PA side out of your daily trip. Doylestown can get very congested.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp1999 View Post
not that i don't want you to move to pa, but have you considered somewhere in nj along i-78, west of i-287? Much of that area is more rural and will be cheaper than the morristown/whippany area. Also, you will be within a more reasonable commuting distance to those areas. I think yardley pa to whippany nj would be a horrible commute.
+1

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,912 times
I think you should look into Clinton NJ.

Welcome to Historic Clinton NJ

Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
I'm from Wilmington originally, and 2 hours from Wilmington puts you in Brooklyn. I've personally gotten from Wilmington far enough to see Manhattan in 1 hour 15 minutes. It's not as far as you think if you know how to speed carefully.

There's no reason you can't be in North Jersey and only be about an hour and 15 away from the Delaware Memorial. NJ isn't a big state, and the turnpike is fast and straight.

East Brunswick, NJ, for example, is 100 miles from Wilm. At 75 mph, which is standard fare on the turnpike, it puts you at 1 hr 15 minutes. Take off time for fast driving, or add on time for traffic.

Like the others said, his commute through suburban NYC in North Jersey is way, way rougher than a drive through south Jersey farms down the turnpike. I would go 100 miles up the turnpike from Wilmington, and look around there.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 AM

40 posts, read 227,094 times
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your responses. I know everyone urged me not to move to PA with my husband commuting to Morristown but we decided we are going to do it. My husband repeatedly told me that he will commute up to an hour and a half and it does not bother him in the least. (When we lived in Delaware he commuted to Washington, DC everyday for work, which was a two and a half hour drive each way!) Driving simply does not bother him.

That being said we want to live in the Yardley area but is seems like the taxes are SOOOOO high there too. (Not as high as NJ but still high) Are there any nice surrounding towns of Yardley with lower taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia