Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

72 posts, read 77,932 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My apologies if my question has been asked and answered before, but I did a search and didn't find much so I decided to start a new thread. It looks like I will be starting a new job located in Media. I don't really know anything about the Philly area (currently living in Charlotte, NC but spent most of my life in MD/DC). Can you provide any suggestions on some neighborhoods/areas that I should check that would provide a relatively easy commute to Media? Of course I'm looking in Media itself, but I don't want to limit my search to just one place, so I'd like to know about other surrounding areas as well that are within a 30 minute commute. I am a woman in my 30s, and I have no children so schools aren't a factor. I don't have any special requirements like needing to be close to night life or anything like that. A safe, quiet neighborhood with easy access to grocery stores, banks, restaurants, etc. and work is pretty much all I need. I'm looking to rent, and I'd prefer to stay around $1500/month but I can go a bit higher for the right place. Thanks in advance, and please let me know if I left out any pertinent information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
well to start, i would definately strongly look in media, there are many different aparments scattered throughout downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods, all varying in rental prices, but you would able to find something in your budget. Media itself is a great town. There is a downtown, located alone state street and a few other side streets like jackson and monroe. There are great restaurants non chain which is plus in my book, however if chain is your thing you can find chains everywhere within 10 minutes of dowtown. There is an acme near dowtown, which is grocery store chain in the area. There is another acme 10 minutes away as well. There are at least a dozen banks i could think of within a mile radius of eachother in media. though its not an issue for you, but he schools are very good. other areas around delco that would fit your range are springfield, aston broomall, morton, ridley park and parts of drexel hill. i wouldnt go any farther east or south than ridley park. I would stick with media, and aston as second choice. Aston is very suburban, but media, philly, west chester are all close by.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

72 posts, read 77,932 times
Thanks so much for your response. This information is very helpful. Ideally I'd like to find a place in Media, but since I only have a few weeks to get everything taken care of, I wanted to consider some other options in case I can't find a place I like in Media on such short notice. At least now I have an idea of which areas to consider. Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
no problem, and other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM

57 posts, read 122,159 times
Media is one of the best towns to live in in the Philly area. I went to high school there. Vibrant downtown full of creative and smart people. Has that old fashioned everybody knows everybody feel. a short drive or train ride into center city. Media station apartments are nice. Check out "Media Real estate" if you need a quick place to rent. Swarthmore is a nice town too. Be careful Delaware county has nice parts and rough parts. Avoid towns on the city border or along the river.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
Media is a great town, but I would look at Swarthmore or Rutledge. We rented a home in Rutledge before we moved to Delaware. It is on the train line and you can walk to restaurants and some shopping if you enjoy a nice walk. When we lived there, there were only 600 residents and it was just the best place to live. It was quiet and the people were friendly. DH did not want to move into an older home because of maintenance issues, but I would certainly live there again if I had the opportunity.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times
A friend and I walked around Media and ate at a decent restaurant prior to going into the City of Philadelphia to see the Decemberist. A very good place. No riff raff. All well to do mildly liberal folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia