Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone
We are a jewish family originally from Brooklyn Ny and NJ....Looking for towns that have a jewish population, we do not attend temple nor are we religious but would like some jewish families around...Can anyone tell me what are some the surrounding areas outside of Philly with good schools middle and high school is what we need

thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Hey Everyone
We are a jewish family originally from Brooklyn Ny and NJ....Looking for towns that have a jewish population, we do not attend temple nor are we religious but would like some jewish families around...Can anyone tell me what are some the surrounding areas outside of Philly with good schools middle and high school is what we need

thank you in advance
The most notably Jewish areas are Lower Merion-Radnor and the Old York Road Region (Cheltenham, Jenkintown, and Lower Moreland, along with the parts of Abington East of 611. Over on the Jersey side of the River, Cherry Hill and Voorhees qualify as well. Other inner/middle suburbs with sizeable populations include and good schools include Upper Dublin, Whitpain, and Upper Gwynedd, while exurbs like Yardley-Lower Makefield, New Hope-Solebury, and Northampton make strong showings as well.

It isn't tough to find good schools with large Jewish communities. In fact, the two quite often go hand in hand (for obvious reasons). It would be helpful to know what else you're looking to get out of a community, along with price restriction, desired commute time, old vs. new construction, etc. I would recommend filling out the basic mover's form.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Another one to add with a sizeable Jewish population is the Colonial School District (about 10-15% Jewish - I guess this qualifies as sizeable). Check out Lafayette Hill, PA.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Another one to add with a sizeable Jewish population is the Colonial School District (about 10-15% Jewish - I guess this qualifies as sizeable). Check out Lafayette Hill, PA.
This is correct--Whitemarsh much more so than Plymouth (though Plymouth Meeting has a fair population as well).

I've been doing some Jewish demographic analyses (I plan on releasing a full study soon) and if I recall correctly, Whitemarsh was #4 in Montgomery County (~18%) after Lower Moreland (~30%), Lower Merion (~25%) and Upper Dublin (~19%).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 06-13-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM
PFK

14 posts, read 52,090 times
Wife and I are in the same exact boat only we are coming from the DC area.

We are looking at the Council Rock school district in Bucks county. What I understand is that Council Rock is not as good as Central Bucks SD, but in Central Bucks, there aren't any jews (still great schools). We are looking specifically at Richboro, Churchville (ironic, i know), Southampton, Holland, Newtown.

She is originally from Cherry Hill, NJ where there are more Jews than where I grew up (Greater New Haven area). From what I understand from her and her family (also jewish, live in Council Rock district), there is a significant amount in parts of Bucks county as well as the aforementioned towns in Montco.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Interesting..We are looking to Rent and not buy which is quite hard to come by...We were looking at Downingtown and Doylestown but Dolyestown doesnt seem to have any jewish people or a very small amount..Do some of the communities offer community pools and things like that? Schools being a priority as well

thank you for all your feedback
Staci

We lived in Monmouth County and Ocean County a lot of jewish people and very familiar with cherry hill mt laurel etc although we don't want to back to NJ...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM
PFK

14 posts, read 52,090 times
Staci,

Stay away from Doylestown if you want jews around. My wife's BFF from college is from Doylestown and advised that there were very few if any there. Other than that, it is a great area.

I completely understand not wanting to live in Jersey; I refuse to live there as well.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFK View Post
Wife and I are in the same exact boat only we are coming from the DC area.

We are looking at the Council Rock school district in Bucks county. What I understand is that Council Rock is not as good as Central Bucks SD, but in Central Bucks, there aren't any jews (still great schools). We are looking specifically at Richboro, Churchville (ironic, i know), Southampton, Holland, Newtown.

She is originally from Cherry Hill, NJ where there are more Jews than where I grew up (Greater New Haven area). From what I understand from her and her family (also jewish, live in Council Rock district), there is a significant amount in parts of Bucks county as well as the aforementioned towns in Montco.
This website should be of some help to you:

New to Philadelphia2

Also, check out this page from Wikipedia. About 1/4 down there is a listing of the top Jewish populations by US county. It shows # of Jews and % of that county's population.

American Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

New to Philadelphia2

Also, check out this page from Wikipedia. About 1/4 down there is a listing of the top Jewish populations by US county. It shows # of Jews and % of that county's population.

Thanks Guys very helpful indeed

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

New to Philadelphia2

Keep in mind that Jewish population is not evenly distributed in these counties. In fact, it's quite concentrated within specific areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia