Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I personally think commuting from Princeton to Manhattan is idiotic (certain circumstances not included obviously) but that's just me.
It's 45 minutes on the train. Not what I would consider ideal, but one can do far worse. What's really idiotic is how people are increasingly commuting to NYC from the Lehigh Valley... or even the Poconos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
People are hungry for good jobs nowadays, will go to greater and greater lengths to get them, and can't easily uproot their families. I wouldn't call them idiots.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's 45 minutes on the train. Not what I would consider ideal, but one can do far worse. What's really idiotic is how people are increasingly commuting to NYC from the Lehigh Valley... or even the Poconos!
I don't think that is true. It takes about 25 minutes on the train from Union, NJ (my girlfriend's college) to Penn Station in NYC.... and we take the same line that runs down to Trenton. From Trenton to Penn Station in NYC is CERTAINLY over an hour on the train... and that doesn't include then getting to your office building AFTER you get into Manhattan.

According to this, the trip from Trenton to Penn Station via train will take about an hour and a half
New Jersey Transit

Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
People are hungry for good jobs nowadays, will go to greater and greater lengths to get them, and can't easily uproot their families. I wouldn't call them idiots.
Yeah, wasn't trying to be rude that's why I put the "certain circumstances" part in there. But I just feel that a significant amount of the folks out there who commute could easily settle "for less" (which would still be quite a lot) but are drawn to the $$$ a Manhattan job brings in, even if the net QOL ends up being worse.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I don't think that is true. It takes about 25 minutes on the train from Union, NJ (my girlfriend's college) to Penn Station in NYC.... and we take the same line that runs down to Trenton. From Trenton to Penn Station in NYC is CERTAINLY over an hour on the train... and that doesn't include then getting to your office building AFTER you get into Manhattan.

According to this, the trip from Trenton to Penn Station via train will take about an hour and a half
New Jersey Transit
Maybe the person I talked to takes a special express line, perhaps Acela?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Yeah, wasn't trying to be rude that's why I put the "certain circumstances" part in there. But I just feel that a significant amount of the folks out there who commute could easily settle "for less" (which would still be quite a lot) but are drawn to the $$$ a Manhattan job brings in, even if the net QOL ends up being worse.
Yeah I mean, I know (and am related to) folks in otherwise walkable & convenient Philly who reverse-commute 45+ minutes by car to work at jobs in the suburbs, and that's not at all uncommon. No one wants crappy commutes, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take the job where it's offered.

All those people who moved to NYC in accelerating numbers during this past recession weren't doing it for the improved sushi options or because it was a great bargain. It was for jobs & better/unique career opportunities that were in short supply elsewhere. If you can manage to take those opportunities and somehow not have to relocate, that's a pretty attractive thing. I worked with a guy (in Manhattan) who was the COO of a famous company who happily commuted daily from Yardley, because he didn't have to uproot his family.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Maybe the person I talked to takes a special express line, perhaps Acela?
Definitely a possibility

Old 10-23-2012, 05:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:

New Jersey Transit
Trenton to Philadelphia via Septa
$8.75

Trenton to New York City via New Jersey Transit
$15.50

That's almost twice the cost!
The price difference really adds up over the months and years.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
Quote:
Definitely a possibility
If you are commuting on the Acela you must be very wealthy. Also, the Acela doesn't make any NJ stops that I'm aware of besides Newark Penn Station. You can only really take it between city centers from Philadelphia to New York. It isn't meant for daily commuters.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Trenton to Philadelphia via Septa
$8.75

Trenton to New York City via New Jersey Transit
$15.50

That's almost twice the cost!
The price difference really adds up over the months and years.
Assuming there's no frequent rider discount, that comes out to $3,375 a year. Most NYC jobs pay significantly more than that compared to their Philly equivalents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia