Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times

Advertisements

This forum has proven helpful time and time again, so let's try this one.
We are most likely relocating to the Philly area over the winter break. My two elementary school kids will be attending private school (we are currently considering schools in Jenkintown; Wynnewood; and Germantown).

We both work. My spouse will be commuting to the City Center (think Convention Center); I work from home and will fly out 2 - 4 times per month to my office which is in another state....so....what do you recommend? We would prefer a SHORT commute with kids to school AND less than 30 min (train ideal) to City Center. My commute to PHL is what it is, since it isn't as often, it can take a back seat (and I'm usually catching a 7a flight so I'm commuting at non-peak times).

I'm most focused on finding the right neighborhood that provides the short commute for kids and reasonable commute to CC.

As for housing, we prefer stand alone houses, non-cookie cutter, with no less than 1/2 acre. We will most likely rent to start and then move to purchase once settled. Planning on $3,000 - $3,500/month rent. We currently live in Austin and are 20 minutes from everything. We live in an older, established neighborhood where everything we need is walkable. We are avid bike riders, love organic gardening, and do not spend time in malls or shopping - so they aren't important to us.

I used to live in Princeton (broke my collarbone in Bucks Co mountainbiking) and can't wait to share the greater Philly area with my family.

Look forward to your informative suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:34 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,486,695 times
Chestnut Hill sounds perfect for you. Close to many good private elementary schools, including (in rough order of distance) Springside Chestnut Hill, Germantown Friends, William Penn Charter, Germantown Academy, Gwynedd Mercy Academy, among others. Old historic houses, great downtown, family-friendly, along 2 train lines to center city, adjacent to Wissahickon Valley Park for hiking/biking, etc.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
I can speak for Jenkintown. Assuming your looking at Abington Freinds? Excellent school and neighborhood. Train ride within 30 mins.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 AM

712 posts, read 702,012 times
It depends on how you are defining "short commute for kids". If you mean 10 to at most 15 minutes from house to school, you would be best off selecting a school first and then looking for houses within that radius. You'll be able to satisfy most if not all of your other requirements in proximity to each of the schools you are considering. The 1/2 acre+ requirement may provide a bit of a challenge for you but it can be accomplished. You can find houses with that much land in Mt. Airy (definitely 10 - 15 min) and Chestnut Hill (15 min. maybe slightly longer) to Germantown Friends or Penn Charter for example. Come to think of it you can find houses in East Falls, assuming any are currently on the market, with that much land and be even closer to both of those schools.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
The Main Line

Private, Public, Preschool Schools on Main Line Philadelphia – MainLineNeighbors.com

Old 11-11-2014, 09:04 AM

175 posts, read 288,293 times
Chestnut Hill is gorgeous with plenty of the type of housing stock you are looking for. Im moving from Los Angeles and thats where Ive narrowed my search.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Main Line East

Welcome to MainLineNeighbors, the Main Line's Source for everything in the Community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia