Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM

204 posts, read 911,930 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Philadelphia in quite awhile, but I fondly remember my visit to the Barnes Foundation in Merion. I wonder to what locals thought of the new location in Philadelphia. I've viewed some photos and comments online (read a NYT article that praised it highly), but I didn't get a great sense of how the collection fit into the larger modern space. Also, I was curious as to what the old building is being used for; I thought it was a very lovely building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
I haven't been to Philadelphia in quite awhile, but I fondly remember my visit to the Barnes Foundation in Merion. I wonder to what locals thought of the new location in Philadelphia. I've viewed some photos and comments online (read a NYT article that praised it highly), but I didn't get a great sense of how the collection fit into the larger modern space. Also, I was curious as to what the old building is being used for; I thought it was a very lovely building.
I haven't been yet but it is my understanding that the core of the new building including the galleries is an exact reproduction of the original building with the art work in exactly the same spots. They measured the space between each painting and took photos of every wall to ensure that the layout would be identical.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
Thumbs up Love the Barnes!

I visited the Barnes a couple of years ago in Merion and was just blown away by the astonishing number of priceless paintings artfully fitted into a very small space. It's quirky, but that was Doctor Barnes' vision. What I did not like was the weeks long reservation system to see the exhibit.

I visited the Barnes shortly after it opened and was amazed how the whole collection EXACTLY fit inside the new museum. Just two days ago I visited with a friend who hadn't been to see the new Barnes yet, and when we went into the main exhibition room from the reception area, she stopped dead and said "It's exactly the same!" As we went from room to room she kept repeating: Yes, this is just how it was. It's how I remember it.

I was pretty ambivalent about the Barnes moving. I wanted the access of Philadelphia, but would the collection be shaped to someone else's vision? Well, the finished product is pretty wonderful.

It is my understanding that the home and grounds in Merion are a study center for horticulture and for art classes.

If you like impressionist art - heck, ALL art - you MUST see the Barnes. There are old masterworks alongside the impressionist/modern art pieces so you can see the similarities of form or subject and it's quite interesting really. Pop for the audio player for the full effect ($5 for non-members/free for members).

Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM

204 posts, read 911,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
I visited the Barnes a couple of years ago in Merion and was just blown away by the astonishing number of priceless paintings artfully fitted into a very small space. It's quirky, but that was Doctor Barnes' vision. What I did not like was the weeks long reservation system to see the exhibit.

I visited the Barnes shortly after it opened and was amazed how the whole collection EXACTLY fit inside the new museum. Just two days ago I visited with a friend who hadn't been to see the new Barnes yet, and when we went into the main exhibition room from the reception area, she stopped dead and said "It's exactly the same!" As we went from room to room she kept repeating: Yes, this is just how it was. It's how I remember it.

I was pretty ambivalent about the Barnes moving. I wanted the access of Philadelphia, but would the collection be shaped to someone else's vision? Well, the finished product is pretty wonderful.

It is my understanding that the home and grounds in Merion are a study center for horticulture and for art classes.

If you like impressionist art - heck, ALL art - you MUST see the Barnes. There are old masterworks alongside the impressionist/modern art pieces so you can see the similarities of form or subject and it's quite interesting really. Pop for the audio player for the full effect ($5 for non-members/free for members).
That's great to hear! I'm glad they were able to duplicate the layout of the artwork and find a use for the old building. I heard the new lighting is significantly better and allows you to see the art more clearly. How does the new building fit in with neighboring buildings and the surrounding area?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM

I would say the new Barnes Museum is, hmmm, solitary, I guess. You know how the Rodin Museum is set back from the Parkway with greenery and some distance from the sidewalk? Well, that is one block over from the Barnes and the Barnes similarly is set back from the sidewalk - kinda zen - with the entrance partway around the back. VERY understated. It is supposed to give the impression of being apart from the city while being IN the city. It fits the neighborhood well. Just about 5 blocks to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and you pass the Rodin Museum, and the Perelman Center on the way. Pretty cool.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM

I would say the new Barnes Museum is, hmmm, solitary, I guess. You know how the Rodin Museum is set back from the Parkway with greenery and some distance from the sidewalk? Well, that is one block over from the Barnes and the Barnes similarly is set back from the sidewalk - kinda zen - with the entrance partway around the back. VERY understated. It is supposed to give the impression of being apart from the city while being IN the city. It fits the neighborhood well. Just about 5 blocks to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and you pass the Rodin Museum, and the Perelman Center on the way. Pretty cool.

Oh, yeah, the lighting IS better. Brighter indirect lighting that shines up on the cove ceiling and illuminates the pictures better. The paint colors are just a touch lighter and that helps with lighting up the rooms, too. The rooms with windows have translucent shades that protect the art when the sun is shining, but when the sun is away they automatically lift up up and out of the way and the pictures have even more natural light than they ever did in Merion.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,271 times
Coincidentally, in today's Inquirer: Barnes attendance exceeds expectations

Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Not only is the collection amazing, but the architecture of the building is also top notch.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM

333 posts, read 283,031 times
Locals think it's swell. Barnes himself is rolling over in his grave.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Locals think it's swell. Barnes himself is rolling over in his grave.
Who cares about that old fart. i couldn't care less about the wishes of the dead.

The collection is a rousing success in philadelphia and more people than ever are able to see it.

Don't worry about Barnes, he ceased caring about where his collection was housed about 75 years ago... you should try to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia