Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM

404 posts, read 585,501 times

Advertisements

I'm considering attending Penn next year for a masters program. However, I've heard it's in a somewhat sketchy area. I may not have the time to visit before I need to make a decision so I'm hoping I could get peoples opinions on what the area like. How safe is it, what's the vibe like, and what are some cool attractions within walking or short driving distance of the campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post
I'm considering attending Penn next year for a masters program. However, I've heard it's in a somewhat sketchy area. I may not have the time to visit before I need to make a decision so I'm hoping I could get peoples opinions on what the area like. How safe is it, what's the vibe like, and what are some cool attractions within walking or short driving distance of the campus?
Penn was sketchy back in the '70s and '80s when my father went for undergrad and law school. In the past ten years however (the past five, especially) University City has undergone a renaissance. The vast majority of Penn's campus (and surrounding) is a not only safe but desirable place to live for students, young professionals, and families alike. Things get a bit sketchy North of Drexel's campus. Otherwise, draw a diagonal line between 40th and Market and 50th and Baltimore, and as long as you keep to the right, you're perfectly fine.

There's no one neighborhood vibe. Check out Baltimore Avenue for a funky, eclectic scene (lots of great bars and restaurants). The areas immediately surrounding Penn's campus itself cater more to a decidedly college crowd (think the requisite chain restaurants, convenience and clothing stores, etc.). Locust Walk, which runs through the middle of campus, is quiet and bucolic (you almost forget you're in the middle of a bustling city). As far as housing goes, there's a mix of modern high-rises (Hub on Chestnut, Domus, Left Bank), walk-ups, older mid-rise/garden apartment complexes, and full row homes ready to be split between 2 or 4 or even 8 (depending on size).

The area certainly isn't crime-free (like most any other part of a large city) but if you practice basic common sense, you shouldn't run into trouble. The occasional crazy thing does happen (a few friends of mine once got caught in some gang crossfire around 38th and Chesnut--no one was hurt) but for the most part people get around without any trouble. Just be smart.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I live just four blocks west of UPenn and I can tell you that University City is NOT a "sketchy" area for the most part, but there are a couple of sketchy blocks on the fringes of the neighborhood.

Back in 2000 I bought my house, a c.1894 French Second Empire Victorian, and the area was a little rougher than it is now as evidenced by the fact no one left patio furniture on their porches overnight. My house actually had iron bars on the first floor windows. But even a dozen years ago there was signs the neighborhood was gentrifying.

The homes in my neighborhood generally sell for anywhere from $385,000 (rowhome) to $495,000 (semi-detached "Twin") to nearly a million dollars for a single detached house. This is NOT a cheap neighborhood. We have upscale restaurants like Mariposa, Penne, and Pod;hotels like Hilton Inn and the Sheraton; and goumet food shops like Milk & Honey. Rents for an apartment in the newer apartment buildings like Domus, the Axis, and the Radian could go for $1,000 a month to nearly $3,000 a month.

This is still part of a big city and like any big city one should be alert, and do not flash lots of cash or expensive jewelry when walking at night.

The main crime we have are electronic devices stolen from parked cars on the street overnight like GPS systems. Home burglaries are rare but not unknown.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM

266 posts, read 410,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post
UPenn is in University City along with Drexel University which is basically an extension of Center City Philadelphia. The area is relatively safe. As long you stay on campus, which is a pretty big area, and don't wander off into deep West Philly or other ghettos around the city (which there's no need to anyway) you'll be fine. The area has really cleaned itself up and grown over the last decade or so. Again, if you attend Penn your basically living in Center City so there is a world of things to do. Bars, comedy clubs, concerts, restaurants, fitness centers, historical sites, and many other landmarks are all within walkings distance or a short bike/bus/subway ride away. I always thought Franklin Field, UPenn's Football stadium, was one of the coolest stadiums in the country (built in 1895). Pretty much being in a big city like Philadelphia and attending UPenn you will find that everything you need will be within a short walk away. The vibe is good, it's mostly a young college/graduate student crowd. You have mostly college students and young professionals in that area with a mix of everyone else that lives in a big city. I didn't go to Penn but had some friends that went there and would go hang out with them 2 or 3 times a month and was pretty impressed by the parties that they were throwing. If that's not your thing though don't worry, it's an Ivy League school in a big city, theres a clique, and a big one at that, for everybody. Center City/ University city is one of the top downtowns in America, I think it will come down to if you want to live in a big city or not.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Lol. UPenn is not in a sketchy area. Whoever said that has not been there since the 80s. The surrounding area is all Middle Class to Upper Middle Class neighborhoods. The campus is in University City in West Philadelphia, and right across the river from Center City, the downtown area for Philadelphia. Center City is one of the best urban areas this country has. Extremely walkable, superb nightlife, great shops, superb restaurants, top notch museums and theaters and a top notch public transit system. You will not need a car at Penn. Everything is extremely walkable and the public transit is great. There are trolleys, subways, and regional rail lines that run through the area. Hop on a trolley or a subway and be in the heart of Center City in 5 minutes. You can also walk to Center City from University City in ~15 minutes since it is right across the Schuylkill River. Since you don't have time to visit, here are some images of the area:

30th Street Station: Philadelphia's Main Amtrak Train Hub. The Obelisk Shaped building next to it is the Cira Center.

This trail runs along the Schuylkill River and into Fairmount Park if you are into running

The following are pictures of University City: home to both Drexel University and UPenn

I got lazy and didn't feel like linking anymore pics lol. If you want anymore let me know I have a lot of pics of the residential neighborhoods if you would like to see any.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
UPenn for quite a few blocks past UPenn is covered by UPenn police who are normally doubled up at every intersection on bicycles. It has university city to the left and center city to the right which are both world class urban living. I'd be interested to know what alternative schools you are considering. UPenn is at the heels of the very best schools in the world, but an incredibly few schools above it can offer a cultural experience even tiers near it.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
I go to UPenn and I will tell you that there is nothing at all to worry about. It is a pulsing neighborhood with a lot of people constantly about and a lot of police from both campuses that are right in University City. Safety is no issue and you have Fairmount Park, the river trail, the UPenn museums, Philadelphia's Art Museum, Franklin Institute, Academic of Natural Sciences, Penn Park, a depth of history, great food, great markets, a multitude of social scenes, and everything else at your feet. Really, there are no difficulties walking from Old City to Penn's campus. Not to mention, there are free buses for Penn students only that will take you from the campus over to center city if you don't feel like walking or driving. Consider!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
A few more pictures of University city:

The Green Line Cafe, very popular with students and younger people in the neighborhood (and on my block!) -

Around the corner from my house - 1860's 1870's Victorian "Second Empire" style houses:

Some late Victorian houses are quite grand, these could go for as much as three-quarters of a million dollars ...

Baltimore Avenue has a lively youthful vibe with all kinds of shops, cafes, and restaurants. On and off the avenue you can get Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Pakistani, as well as pizzas and hoagies. Dock Street Brewery is one of Philly's top Brew Pubs.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I go to UPenn and I will tell you that there is nothing at all to worry about. It is a pulsing neighborhood with a lot of people constantly about and a lot of police from both campuses that are right in University City. Safety is no issue and you have Fairmount Park, the river trail, the UPenn museums, Philadelphia's Art Museum, Franklin Institute, Academic of Natural Sciences, Penn Park, a depth of history, great food, great markets, a multitude of social scenes, and everything else at your feet. Really, there are no difficulties walking from Old City to Penn's campus. Not to mention, there are free buses for Penn students only that will take you from the campus over to center city if you don't feel like walking or driving. Consider!
I would say that relative to being in a large, densely-populated city safety is not an issue. It's like any other desirable, mixed-use urban neighborhood. Exercise common sense and you'll be fine. It's important to remember that inner-city, suburban, and rural "safe" are three different things.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-24-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM

156 posts, read 447,518 times
Just don't cross 50th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia