Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM

277 posts, read 436,524 times

Advertisements

Hello Philadelphians,

I'm planning a trip to the city for the end of October. I'm hoping y'all () can help me find the answers to a few questions.

Lodging- I'm planning on staying in Center City (I hope I phrased that right) and have narrowed down my choices to a few hotels- but I'm still open to suggestions. Most are near City Hall station, I feel like that's a good area for entertainment. Comments on that area? On specific hotels?

Transportation- I'm actually taking a train to the Philly, and I guess it lets off at 30th street station. IS the walk to City Hall something I'd be interested in doing or should I take a cab/SEPTA?

I'll also be attending a football game at the Linc. What would be the best way to get from the City Hall area to Lincoln Financial Field? Cab? Subway? Which of the two is faster and/or more cost effective for two people?

Must see sights? Not staying terribly long, but will have at least one day (maybe more) to see the city. Words of advice?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 05:27 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Hello Philadelphians,

I'm planning a trip to the city for the end of October. I'm hoping y'all () can help me find the answers to a few questions.
Welcome in advance! Hope you enjoy your stay! This website is pretty much my bible for stuff going on in the area - Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More |

Quote:
Lodging- I'm planning on staying in Center City (I hope I phrased that right) and have narrowed down my choices to a few hotels- but I'm still open to suggestions. Most are near City Hall station, I feel like that's a good area for entertainment. Comments on that area? On specific hotels?
What specifically are you looking for to be near lodging? What hotels are you considering?

Quote:
Transportation- I'm actually taking a train to the Philly, and I guess it lets off at 30th street station. IS the walk to City Hall something I'd be interested in doing or should I take a cab/SEPTA?
30th St Station is at Market and 30th, City Hall is at Market and 14th - that's 16 blocks. Several options - subway (MFL blue line) to 15th St Station, Regional Rail to Suburban (16th St) or Market East/Jefferson (11th St), Bus, Trolley, or walk (about 20min). Info on public transit is here - SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority

Quote:
I'll also be attending a football game at the Linc. What would be the best way to get from the City Hall area to Lincoln Financial Field? Cab? Subway? Which of the two is faster and/or more cost effective for two people?
Broad Street Line (subway, orange line) takes you directly from City Hall to the ball fields. Cheaper and faster than a cab.

Quote:
Must see sights? Not staying terribly long, but will have at least one day (maybe more) to see the city. Words of advice?
Depends, what are your interests? Are you into touristy things? Or off the beaten path things? Do you like to try new foods and drinks? Walking tours? Prefer a bus?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:03 PM

277 posts, read 436,524 times
Thank you for the great information.

In regards to lodging- not looking to be near anything in particular. I've just heard center city was a good area to stay. I was looking at Sheraton downtown, Marriott, Hyatt, Hampton, Courtyard and Embassy Suites. I know the Marriott is the one by City Hall (can't recall where the others are from the top of my head).

As far as interests go...anything really. Historical sites, bars/restaurants, shops...things I won't see in other cities. I don't mind going off the beaten path but I'm likely to be short on time. So maybe just things around center city.

Going to edit this post and ask: How to old city compare? As far as hotel prices, entertainment, bars, restraunts, etc.?

Last edited by BullGoodBearBad; 09-23-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Quote:
Hello Philadelphians,

Center City is what Philadelphia calls it's Downtown area. It's a great area, easily the best section of the city! Can't beat it! The area around City Hall is mostly office buildings and governmental buildings but it's definitely a great central location to stay for sure! Comments on specific hotels below.

Quote:

If you take Amtrak into Philly then yes, it will let you off at 30th St Station. You can then take the Market-Frankford Line (subway) eastbound into Center City to the 15th St. or 13th St. stops. This will let you off right next to City Hall and right near all of the hotels. You could also take a cab as well but this will probably be $10 when the subway will be $2.50.

To get to the Linc, you could take a cab, but this would likely be $15-$20. I would again hop on the subway, but this time take the Broad Street Line southbound. You would get on at City Hall or Walnut-Locust depending on what hotel you're staying and take that all the way down to AT&T Station which lets you off right at the Sports Complex! From there, the Linc is within walking distance.

Quote:
Must see sights? I guess depends what you're into! I would definitely check out the Rittenhouse Square are, the Old City area specifically for the historic sites (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc), also the Ben Franklin Parkway for the Art Museum and everything. You could also check out Reading Terminal Market, South Street and the Italian Market.

Quote:
Thank you for the great information.

In regards to lodging- not looking to be near anything in particular. I've just heard center city was a good area to stay. I was looking at Sheraton downtown, Marriott, Hyatt, Hampton, Courtyard and Embassy Suites. I know the Marriott is the one by City Hall (can't recall where the others are from the top of my head).
Hampton is kind of in a dead zone behind the Convention Center. Courtyard is probably your best bet - it's a really nice hotel. Marriott is good too. Embassy Suites is in a great location as well as the Sheraton. Hyatt, it depends. If you're talking about the Hyatt at Bellevue, this is going to be the nicest hotel out of the selection. If you're talking about the Hyatt Regency? Eh, I would pass. The Hyatt Regency is on the waterfront and not really near anything - would be a crappy stay if you're look to experience the city of Philadelphia.

Quote:
As far as interests go...anything really. Historical sites, bars/restaurants, shops...things I won't see in other cities. I don't mind going off the beaten path but I'm likely to be short on time. So maybe just things around center city.
I would check out Old City and Society Hill. Tons of historical sites that date back hundreds of years. You have tons of bars, restaurants and shops near these areas in Old City and along South Street. I would also check out the Rittenhouse Square area. Very beautiful and tons of shopping, restaurants, bars. 13th Street between Chestnut and Walnut would be a good stop too. The Ben Franklin Parkway is beautiful, so I would check that out. Reading Terminal Market and the Italian Market are awesome. Could check out Eastern State Penitentiary too!

Quote:
Going to edit this post and ask: How to old city compare? As far as hotel prices, entertainment, bars, restraunts, etc.?
There are few hotels in Old City. I believe there is the Hotel Monaco, which is new, and will be an awesome stay. The Omni would be a great stay too. Old City is less centralized however than staying near City Hall, but I wouldn't rule it out. Still a good spot for bars/restaurants/historical sites.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Summers pretty much covered all of the stuff I was going to say I really think some of the best last-minute type stuff and events are found on that website I listed before. They come out with a weekend guide every Friday, so you should definitely check that to see what's going on when you're here.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,057,204 times
If you can. The Marriot at the convention center is a nice home base. At 30th Street Station, First look around. Its an awesome building and the train schedule flip sign (can't remember the tech name for it) is one of the last in the country. From there just follow the signs for Septa Regional Rail in the same corner as the visitor info desk and police kiosk.

Just grab a ticket from the Regional Rail window for Market East and you are right there. (You won't even have to go outside to get to the hotel if it's bad weather)

You are close to the entrance for the Broad Street line subway to go to the Linc. Done it many times for games, concerts, etc... Also, its pretty busy so there safety in numbers

Cabs and Uber are available. The front desk of any hotel can also get you a cab.

From the convention center you can basically walk to everything. City Hall, South Street, Penns Landing. Right next to the hotel is the Reading Terminal Market. Awesome Amish food (try the garlic pickles and the apple dumplings)

I like walking to South Street. You get to see all the historic town houses. Most still have the hitching posts for horses and the metal boot cleaners near the doors. Makes me wish I had $1m to buy one.

For cheesesteaks tourists go to Pats or Ginos. But locals pretty much know they are just tourist traps. The steaks at the Reading Terminal are good. Jims on South Street is good. My favorite is Steve's Prince of Steaks in NE philly but that requires a cab ride. (be prepared for some post bashing my opinion on this )

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia