Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

When I come home from work and see all the kids playing in the water I think it looks out of place due to all the businesses and banks in the area. I actually thought when they first put the fountain there it was only for looking as you walked past kind of like the Fountain inside Love Park. So now in the summer when people are walking through the courtyard coming home from work they will be passing a bunch of kids playing in water. lol I guess I am surprised that the city wanted that kind of atmosphere around so many businesses during the day.

Maybe this is just me but I think a water fountain like that would be perfect for Penn's Landing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 02:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
What's wrong with seeing innocent children playing and laughing in the fountain? Are businessmen and bankers allergic to children and laughter? I know, lets make sure everyone wears black and white or shades of gray. Colors are too happy. And cover up those windows. We don't want any pesky sunlight getting in and distracting them.

See how ridiculous that sounds? That is what your post sounds to me.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
What's wrong with seeing innocent children playing and laughing in the fountain? Are businessmen and bankers allergic to children and laughter? I know, lets make sure everyone wears black and white or shades of gray. Colors are too happy. And cover up those windows. We don't want any pesky sunlight getting in and distracting them.

See how ridiculous that sounds? That is what your post sounds to me.

It just doesn't fit the Business atmosphere of 15th and Market

Old 04-05-2015, 02:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Have you considered that maybe it's just CHANGED the atmosphere of 15th & Market?

Old 04-05-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Have you considered that maybe it's just CHANGED the atmosphere of 15th & Market?
Yes it looks like a small water park for kids in the middle of busy business area which is why I said it would look a lot better at Penn's Landing.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I think it is rather nice. It encourages both kids and grown-ups to have fun and cool off on a hot summer day. I especially like the little cafe and the information office because they create a plaza that encourages people to use the space. In the past it was seedy, littered and a hangout for homeless people (nothing against homeless folks who can use the space now as in the past) ... and regular people avoided it.

My problem with the fountain is if young folks are running barefoot through it and they should slip and fall, is the city (we the tax-payers) liable? Could they sue the city?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think it is rather nice. It encourages both kids and grown-ups to have fun and cool off on a hot summer day. I especially like the little cafe and the information office because they create a plaza that encourages people to use the space. In the past it was seedy, littered and a hangout for homeless people (nothing against homeless folks who can use the space now as in the past) ... and regular people avoided it.

My problem with the fountain is if young folks are running barefoot through it and they should slip and fall, is the city (we the tax-payers) liable? Could they sue the city?
The Ice Skating Rink looks better because it gives the atmosphere that "Rockefeller" atmosphere especially at night time.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:10 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
When I come home from work and see all the kids playing in the water I think it looks out of place due to all the businesses and banks in the area. I actually thought when they first put the fountain there it was only for looking as you walked past kind of like the Fountain inside Love Park. So now in the summer when people are walking through the courtyard coming home from work they will be passing a bunch of kids playing in water. lol I guess I am surprised that the city wanted that kind of atmosphere around so many businesses during the day.

Maybe this is just me but I think a water fountain like that would be perfect for Penn's Landing
No, don't agree with you at all. I love seeing kids play where, not that long ago, it was more likely that bums were hanging out in the lower levels of the old Dilworth Plaza.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It just doesn't fit the Business atmosphere of 15th and Market
Lots of kids live nearby. It's THEIR neighborhood. It's another, pretty safe, spot for them to play.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM

283 posts, read 463,821 times
I believe urban planning history has shown us that mixed-uses, increasing street life, and making places more welcome is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia