Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 9,692 times

Advertisements

Hellloooo City-Data forum boards,

I'm a dental student at University of Pennsylvania's Dental School and am looking for patients who would like to register themselves at Penn's Dental School.

I'm interested in knowing what would be the main reason that would prevent you from registering yourself as a patient at the dental school? I'm soon going to be putting up flyers in the area/churches/rec centers/etc, and want to tailor my advertisements to prospective patients' worries.

I tell my parents to go to the dental school back home all the time because I think schools offer great, comprehensive care, where a lot of dentists see your mouths and offer their individual and unique opinions, there is also a large focus on preventive care, and at the dental school, students are willing to sit with you and talk about your teeth, whereas private practice dental care is much more driven by money. Unfortunately talking doesn't make money.

Interested in hearing your opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contach View Post

I'm a dental student at University of Pennsylvania's Dental School and am looking for patients who would like to register themselves at Penn's Dental School.

I'm interested in knowing what would be the main reason that would prevent you from registering yourself as a patient at the dental school? I'm soon going to be putting up flyers in the area/churches/rec centers/etc, and want to tailor my advertisements to prospective patients' worries.

I tell my parents to go to the dental school back home all the time because I think schools offer great, comprehensive care, where a lot of dentists see your mouths and offer their individual and unique opinions, there is also a large focus on preventive care, and at the dental school, students are willing to sit with you and talk about your teeth, whereas private practice dental care is much more driven by money. Unfortunately talking doesn't make money.

I'd much rather be seen by an experienced professional than a student. Then again, I have a health insurance plan that affords me the privilege of doing so.

But if I had limited financial means and my choices were between a free clinician and a Penn student, I would pick the student in a heartbeat. I think that's the demographic you need to go after and the angle you need to emphasize.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-22-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
Well, the first thing is, many people don't know about the services offered by the school, so your marketing campaign will help spread the word.

I had a lot of work done back in the '70's at the school. The quality of the instructors is excellent, some of the best dentists in the city are overseeing the students' work. The only downside is that the work takes longer because it's a learning process for the student dentist. I remember having one procedure being done three times because the student didn't do it correctly the first or second times. Of course, the savings can be worth the extra time and hassle.

I think you need to publicize the cost savings -- it's got to be worth it for people to entrust you with their or their children's dental care; and secondly, the quality of the instructors -- they need to know that there's a top-notch professional overseeing every aspect of the process.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
I have in the past (at Penn), and likely would again. I was satisfied with the quality of their work.
I might be a little hesitant to have a student make a crown or implant, but seeing as how my family's insurance benefits keep getting whittled away, who knows?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Quote:

For most people I would assume that a bunch of students taking turns looking at their mouth and offering "unique opinions" isn't at all what they want from a dentist.

I'm not really interested in hearing my dentist's "opinions". When I see my dentist she says hello, looks at my mouth for a minute and then assuming no problems, makes a quick goodbye. As a busy person who doesn't want to spend time at a dentist this is ideal. If there is a problem she doesn't share "opinions" she tells me exactly what is wrong, tells me exactly what we're going to do and I listen to it. I don't need a second opinion on a cavity or whatever. Just give me the news doc, I'll schedule a follow up and be on my way.

If someone has insurance I can't imagine why they would prefer to go to Dental School over an established dentist office.

That being said, I went to these types of set ups when I was in college and didn't have insurance. I would imagine that should be your target. There are many colleges in the area, post your flyers around there, I'd much prefer going to a dental school over a free clinic and I imagine if students are made aware of such services they would be willing to give it a try.

Another target would be people who don't have very good insurance, but they'd probably be harder to market to considering they aren't all conveniently grouped in one area with a bunch of bulletin boards everywhere like college students are.

if you're looking to attract people who could otherwise afford dental care through their insurance I think you're fighting an uphill battle. I think many of the positives you've mentioned would actually be viewed as negatives in the minds of many.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,424,180 times
Quote:
I've seen this topic discussed on other forums and I've seen people who actually had work done at the dental schools mention two things: they couldn't get an appointment as soon as they would like and (2) they had to wait, wait, wait once they got to their appointment. So it seems that one of the big problems is TIME.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,629 times
Quote:
I'd absolutely go to a dental school - particularly one with Penn's reputation - over a private dental practice if it were the same (or less) cost to me. To that end, it would be most helpful if you took my insurance.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
I live in University City just about 4 blocks away from the original Thomas W. Evans building of the UPenn Dental School.

Would I go? Of course! But here is the deal: services are NOT free at the Dental School and often cost more than if you use a private dentist if you have insurance. Getting an appointment is complicated and difficult. It is not "user-friendly."

Several years ago I had a dental emergency - needed root canal work and was in intense pain. I was told to show up at 6 AM the following day and stand outside in the freezing rain until a security guard would open the doors and take a count of the first lucky few who showed up first. The others were told to go home or were given a piece of paper with other Dental schools listed on it in other parts of Philly. No thanks. Never going through that aggravation again. My pain was so severe I ended up in the Emergency Room of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania instead.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I live in University City just about 4 blocks away from the original Thomas W. Evans building of the UPenn Dental School.

Would I go? Of course! But here is the deal: services are NOT free at the Dental School and often cost more than if you use a private dentist if you have insurance. Getting an appointment is complicated and difficult. It is not "user-friendly."

Several years ago I had a dental emergency - needed root canal work and was in intense pain. I was told to show up at 6 AM the following day and stand outside in the freezing rain until a security guard would open the doors and take a count of the first lucky few who showed up first. The others were told to go home or were given a piece of paper with other Dental schools listed on it in other parts of Philly. No thanks. Never going through that aggravation again. My pain was so severe I ended up in the Emergency Room of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania instead.

Very reasonable if you don't have insurance though, right? I went to Temple's dentistry school when I was an undergrad and I certainly don't remember it being expensive. I'm sure it was more expensive than what my copays are now, but compared to what you would pay in a regular dentist office without insurance, I believe it is much lower.

As I said earlier, I can't imagine why in the world someone with insurance would go there, but I think you'd have to consider it if you were without it.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM

240 posts, read 558,166 times
My insurance is still in NY, which means that in philadelphia, I am only reimburse for half my costs, and that is only after I have reached 500+ dollars in expenses. If I could see a dentist for cheaper, I surely would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia