Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,924 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a guy in my late 20s. Moved to philly a year ago and now I can see myself staying in philly for at least the next 3-5 years. So given the low interest rate I think it is a good time for me to buy my first house (2 or 3 bedroom). My budget is around 450k.

Initially I thought I wanted to stay as close to my work as possible to avoid commute time (I work near the City Hall station). But after seeing quite a few condos/row houses in art museum/society hill/logan square/old city/northern liberties/rittenhouse/graduate hospital I found myself not impressed with what the properties within my price range can offer. I like broad street views, newer construction, high ceiling, and a spacious living room, and that sort of thing is hard to come by in center city with my budget. So I looked else where and found Packer Park. Went down there, toured the Reserve and totally loved it. Now I am looking at Siena Place, and the new constructions on Hartranft and it seems like I could get something I absolutely adore for about 400k, which is comfortably within my budget. The entire place has a nice suburban feel, yet it is very accessible through subway. Door-to-door my one-way commute time would be around 20-25 min, which is perfectly acceptable. Everything sounds great to me and it is exactly the kind of neighborhood I see myself living in.

So I am wondering if the neighborhood has any cons? The only bad thing I heard is that there is a refinery nearby, and it could get rowdy if people going to the park on weekends & nights get across the street and wander in the neighborhood. Are those two real concerns?

Btw I am married, but have no plan for kids in the near future and my spouse is working in another state. So for the foreseeable future it will be only me living in the house (which seems kinda scary if it is a 2500 square feet house).

Last edited by Utena520; 05-04-2015 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Yeah, my biggest concern would probably be all the extra cars and people around the area for Eagles/Phillies/etc. Cops don't let anyone but residents on the residential streets in Packer Park during events but it could be a hassle getting in and out of the area on those days with a car. Of course, if you're just walking to the subway it's not a big deal.

It seems you've thought it out and know what you want though. I am around that area often as my friend lives on Schley St. in Packer Park and I think it is a very nice, although older and very Italian, neighborhood. The homes at Siena and the Reserve do seem like a good value for people that are looking for those amenities.

But those homes are bigger than 2-3 bedrooms, so if you want something smaller don't (or I guess do) limit yourself!

Check out Girard Estates right next door too. There are some really beautiful homes (some twins) there, and it will be more walkable with a more neighborhood feel.

Fun Fact: FDR Park was designed by the same park architects that designed Central Park in NYC, the Olmsted Brothers.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-05-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-05-2015, 08:49 AM

90 posts, read 130,404 times
Unless you are a die hard sports fan or grew up around there I don't know why anyone would find that area attractive.
Close to refineries , bad traffic/parking on game nights, no real city walk-ability (at least compared to the other side of Broad). Siena Place fills most of your criteria but it just seems like typical cookie cutter townhomes to me. At your price point you should be able to find something nice in Grad Hosp, Manayunk, Mt. Airy, etc. Girard Estates isn't bad either. Homes have more charm and you may save yourself $100k or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: