Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 PM

90 posts, read 130,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Gentrification has been a blessing for University City! It looks a hell of a lot better than it did when I was growing up in West Philly between 2002-2007. Hopefully, gentrification will continue up to 52nd Street between Market Street and Baltimore Avenue.
Much hasn't changed around 40th and Walnut since then.....I was a student going to Greek Lady, Copas, Smokey Joes, and Fresh Grocer in 2005.

The Cedar Park area has been gentrified since then....but is that really UCity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:18 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Wawa vs Rita's, I don't know about that.
Personally, I don't like Rita's at all. However, I was simply trying to give you an alternative in the current state of things. Wawa used to have their own Wawa-branded water ice. Now, I believe they sell Rosati or another local brand's water ice. My preference would be a local brand since water ice is and always has been so darn popular in and around Philly, but hey, that's just me.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You can go into the Fresh Grocer at 40th and Walnut and buy a six pack of "Italian" ices.
Now why in the world would I do something like that?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Personally, I don't like Rita's at all. However, I was simply trying to give you an alternative in the current state of things. Wawa used to have their own Wawa-branded water ice. Now, I believe they sell Rosati or another local brand's water ice. My preference would be a local brand since water ice is and always has been so darn popular in and around Philly, but hey, that's just me.
Rita's is OK. Luckily, Tranzilli's water ice in Germantown is close to me. I had a mango gelati and toasted pretzel today after work

Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
TVandSportsGuy's inflexibility on many foods/restaurants and general inanity never ceases to amaze me.

FWIW, where I live in suburban DC I wish there was a Burger King and/or a Five Guys instead of two McDonald's really nearby, but I make do by going to The Classics (a local restaurant with excellent, huge burgers and really good steaks) and McD's from time to time. I also wish there was a Popeye's or KFC within walking distance or a Bojangles within easy driving distance but there isn't so I go to the Nando's Peri-Peri (really good, spicy Portuguese grilled chicken) and Crisp and Juicy (fairly good Peruvian grilled chicken) that are within easy walking distance instead. And I definitely go to Mamma Lucia (small, Maryland-based Italian restaurant chain) fairly often even though I generally didn't go to Italian restaurant chains for sit-down Italian before I moved here.

I bet other people have similar stories about the restaurants they frequent.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Water Ice or Ice Cream??

Something about that just seems bizarre to me especially in a area like 40th and Walnut. You see a movie theater, restaurants, clothing stores and no where to buy a ice cream or water ice on a hot summer day? Also why is there a Rita's in North Philly but not in a lively area like 39th to 40th and Chestnut. I did see some dessert place on 42nd and Baltimore but I don't consider that the heart of University City since it's too far over. I just can't believe this at all that it's no where to get a cold treat but........"CROWNE CHICKEN?
Penn is pretty much the "real estate agent" around there. Ask them. But, of course, you won't. You'll just whine about it on here.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I will never understand what's it not a Rita's on 40th and Walnut but there is a Rita's in North Philly.
Rita's are franchises. They go where the franchisee wants to put one.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
No I want a Rita's water ice in the heart of university city so I can have one on the way home from work or a saturday afternoon.
Rather than wasting time, energy and the patience of other posters, why don't you take the trouble to go to the source or ask people who could actually resolve/answer your question: the facilities and real estate dept of the Univ. of Pa. They have an entire web site.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Rita's is OK. Luckily, Tranzilli's water ice in Germantown is close to me. I had a mango gelati and toasted pretzel today after work
Rita's is not local anymore. Quality went with its buyout.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Rather than wasting time, energy and the patience of other posters, why don't you take the trouble to go to the source or ask people who could actually resolve/answer your question: the facilities and real estate dept of the Univ. of Pa. They have an entire web site.
Well PM me and help me so I can find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia