Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 25,096 times

Advertisements

Hey, so we are looking for a house that is in a nice, safe, modest area between Blue Bell and CC. He lives in Warrington currently, and I live in CC (originally from Texas). He works in Blue Bell, and I work in CC. Neither of us wants a commute more than 45 minutes total. He will be driving, I will be taking the regional rail, with a 10-15 minute walk from Jefferson Station to my hospital.

We have looked around online in the Abington area. Found a house we like in Ardsley in person, have found several online in Roslyn, Glenside, Abington. Looking for the right area with safety and a good "let's make our community awesome!" feel. Would also definitely be open to other suggestions for locations to look at. I realize there are a lot of great places between Blue Bell and CC, but unfortunately most of them are out of the price range and therefore out of the search.

When are you moving? – by the end of 2015

Where are you coming from? – Center City and Warrington

Why are you moving? – getting married soon(ish)!

Where will you be working? – one in Blue Bell, the other in Center City

Have you been here yet? – Yes, but have not had much opportunity to explore between Warrington and CC and thereabouts

Will you buy or rent? - Buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - Looking for a house, max budget $260K. 3 bed, 2 bath preferred, although 3 bed 1 bath is acceptable. Not large, but not below 1200 sq ft either. Willing to do some renovations (bathroom, kitchen, painting, finishing a basement) but not going total gut-job either.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? - PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? - We're a couple, no children.

Do you prefer public or private schools? - Public, schools are not a priority at this point as we plan to move to another house before any children will be school-age.

Do you have pets? - Yes, 1 cat and 1 dog.

Do you want or need a yard? - Yes, not large but enough for a small garden and room for a dog and a fire pit.

Are you keeping a car? - Yes, one car garage or driveway with a carport or room for one would be great, 2 car garage would be ideal.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? - Quieter is better, although some bustle is fine. Most places will be less bustling than CC, anyway. Safety is the main concern as I will be walking to the train. A good neighborhood feel is also ideal - I picture myself becoming best friends with my neighbor or something like that.

What do you want to be closest to? We'd like to split the difference between our job locations. No more than a 30-35 minute train ride for me. He already drives 35-45 minutes and is okay with the commute staying that length if necessary.

Shopping/basic services - I'd like to be within a 15 minute drive to a major grocery store, Walmart/Target, hospital, banks, etc. Don't care so much about other shopping, or rather, I'd be willing to drive a ways to get to a Hobby Lobby and Costco.

Nightlife – Don't really care for bars and restaurants are a low priority.

Train or subway stations – Easy train access to CC required.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? - Similar age would be nice. I have no preference on diversity, just want a good community feel

Coke or Pepsi? Well since I went to school in Waco, TX, home of Dr Pepper, that's the stuff for me. I've also become obsessed with birch beer since moving up here!

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,734,634 times
You're looking in a good area. You can extend to maybe Oreland or Ambler along the Lansdale line, or look a little farther in at Jenkintown, if you're willing to consider a twin or rowhouse.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,537,060 times
I second Jenkintown esp if you're looking in the areas near Abington. It's got a cute little downtown area but isn't super packed with people, and it's on a rail line to CC.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,740,454 times
I'm not sure there are any Hobby Lobbys out here. Plus they're awful. But there are both Michael's and AC Moore in Montgomeryville, not too far from Ambler or Blue Bell.

I was going to suggest Ambler, but I'm not sure if you can get a SFH in your budget.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,747,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindygrins View Post
Shopping/basic services - I'd like to be within a 15 minute drive to a major grocery store, Walmart/Target, hospital, banks, etc. Don't care so much about other shopping, or rather, I'd be willing to drive a ways to get to a Hobby Lobby and Costco.

Thanks for any input!
Hobby Lobby is just moving into the area. They will be opening 2 stores in South Jersey soon. If you're interested in craft supplies I think that you'll find that AC Moore is far superior & more affordable. if you're after material try JoAnn Fabric.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 PM

69 posts, read 87,950 times
Private Message sent with some input and information.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2015, 01:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,537,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLyons13 View Post
Private Message sent with some input and information.

Thanks
What is the point of posting this here without posting the information that you sent? You always push Norristown so I'm assuming that's what you sent, but why you didn't post it here I don't know? Because people could provide other info that may conflict?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 AM

69 posts, read 87,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
What is the point of posting this here without posting the information that you sent? You always push Norristown so I'm assuming that's what you sent, but why you didn't post it here I don't know? Because people could provide other info that may conflict?
I sometimes offer very personal information specific to the poster and my personal living situation. I only noted that, because I have had some instances in which new posters didn't know about a direct message that I had sent, in case the OP comes back into the forum without realizing they have a message.

I do push Norristown, but also Manayunk, Conshohocken, Blue Bell, East Norriton and West Chester because those are the areas that I had lived in or personal experiences in.

I understand why it may have been a pointless post and I'll try to refrain from doing it in the future.

Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia