Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 02:37 PM

72 posts, read 292,891 times

Advertisements

currently we live in monmouth county NJ. Husband works in Cherry Hill area, 40 mins. south or 40 mins north, can vary. we are looking at Langhorne, would appreciate any info. Looking for good schools (9 yr. twins) and nice safe area to raise kids. House probably around 375-425 range. Don't want south Jersey. We don't want to pay re transfer tax again. and cost of living is way tooo high. Any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM

97 posts, read 555,162 times
The commute is going to be longer and rougher.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM

What data are you looking for?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 AM

Default good family environment

The usual good schools (9 yr old twins) close to shopping, etc. My dh is working in trenton now will be for the next year. His main office which he goes to maybe once a month is in cherry hill. You are saying the commute from pa is going to be worse than the commute from red bank area nj? Right now he travels about 50 miles takes him just under one hour. Any info on any family friendly area in Pa in close proximity to trenton would be appreciated. but no more than hour commute to cherry hill.Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM

34 posts, read 100,995 times
The best area's in Pa that are close to Trenton would be Newtown,Yardley(Lower Makefield) and even New Hope. Doylestown is very nice as well but it is a little farther North.

Langhorne is in the Neshaminy school district which is a decent school. Newtown is Council Rock and Doylestown is Central Bucks School district both rank as some of the best public schools in the state.

The only real problem with these area's is that they are expensive. You may want to look at Newtown Grant. Newtown Grant has a nice mix of single family homes(starting from 500's) and townhomes(300's).

Good Luck

Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 AM

Oh, to commute to Trenton will be very simple from Langhorne. I mis-read your post. Thought he'd be going down 95 in Phl during rush hour and over the BR or BF bridge. That can take over an hour in rush hour.

Langhorne is fine for working in Trenton. There's a good group of houses just to the West of the Oxford Valley Mall you might want to drive through. It's Neshaminy S.D. I believe.

Otherwise, drive around Lower Makefield if you have a chance. You can hop on 95 very easily from there, plus Eleanor Roosevelt and Afton elementary are both great ones in Pennsbury school district.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 AM

Default thanks

thanks for the info. we drove around the langhorne, newtown areas this past sunday. went to some open houses and spoke to a couple of re people. we will continue to do this for the next few months. we have a realtor emailing us homes to view in the area. I am going on line to a real estate site too that a previous poster gave me months ago, that has alot of info on different homes. It's hard to get a feel for what a town is like by just driving thru, so it is very helpful to hear from people who have lived there or near or are familiar with the area and school systems. school systems are all relative. I thought my kids were in a great school (based on what they were learning and the faculty)when we lived in ma (3 yrs ago) and then when I came to nj I see they are much faster paced and the kids are more challenged. That's not to say kids can't do well from a "lesser" school system. my nephew went to one of the worst schools in nh and graduated from unh with high grades, and holds a very well paying job. We went thru newtown "village" it is very beautiful. we have been thru doylestown center as well. we like being close to this type of environment, since we now live next to red bank, nj and enjoy visiting there often. thanks for any additional info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia