Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM

58 posts, read 80,285 times

Advertisements

Tell me anything and everything about Narberth.

Found a house we think we like there, know nothing about Philly area... Moving from 2 hours north of Philly.

Maybe answering these questions will help me:

You'll like living in Narberth if...
You'll fit in there if...
The kind of people that live in Narberth are...
You'll dislike living in Narberth if...

Housing budget: We want to stay under $1million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,526 times
I love Narberth! It doesn't feel like any of the other areas around it. It has a real small town feel, for want of a better description. My Son lives in Narberth, close to the library, and its just a neat little neighborhood. Highly walkable, lot of amenities like a farmers market on saturday morning, local business, etc . . . I have no tolerance for cars and car culture, so my only complaint would be the traffic. But, that is anywhere in that area. Narberth tries to keep it down by using weird one-way street pattern. I think you will find something in your price range, but a million to 1.5 are generally the comps around the blocks Im familiar with. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I love Narberth! It doesn't feel like any of the other areas around it. It has a real small town feel, for want of a better description. My Son lives in Narberth, close to the library, and its just a neat little neighborhood. Highly walkable, lot of amenities like a farmers market on saturday morning, local business, etc . . . I have no tolerance for cars and car culture, so my only complaint would be the traffic. But, that is anywhere in that area. Narberth tries to keep it down by using weird one-way street pattern. I think you will find something in your price range, but a million to 1.5 are generally the comps around the blocks Im familiar with. Good luck!
That's on the high end even for Penn Valley. Although it's not the "bargain" it once was, $1mm will still get you plenty in Narberth itself.

Narberth is now an interesting split between multi-generational, working to middle class Irish and Italian Catholic townies and upwardly mobile professionals from a broader (though still mostly white) mix of backgrounds that are attracted to Narberth for the reasons stated by Lion-O. It's a fantastic choice.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM

204 posts, read 388,841 times
Living not to far from Narberth, I can echo what other posters have said. It is a unique town on the Main Line, surrounded by Lower Merion Township but not part of it (although kids do go to Lower Merion schools). The area near downtown feels self-contained, even a little stuck in time (but not in a bad way).

For such a small place, it really has everything you would need on a daily basis within a several-block radius and retains many private businesses and small shops. It also is easy to access more typical suburban amenities in neighboring communities like Wynnewood (Giant, Bed Bath and Beyond, Old Navy, DSW, multiple restaurants) and Ardmore (Suburban Square has many chain retailers and downtown Ardmore has numerous restaurants and shops). Travel into Philly is fast on SEPTA's Regional Rail and driving is not too bad if traffic cooperates.

The one problem I have with Narberth is that more people have recently discovered it and you now often get less house on a smaller lot for your money then you would even in the expensive surrounding communities.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:17 AM

27 posts, read 32,129 times
You will like it if you are white and politically liberal and like to socialize with like-minded people. It is a nice community but the housing stock is generally pretty dated. The only serious downside is small yards, aging homes, traffic congestion. Also, there is ZERO racial diversity. IF you are interested in living in a racially diverse area, this is the opposite.

The estimate of houses costing $1m to $1.5m is way off. The average sale price is in the $400ish range. A $1m home would be very much at the high end of the market. Penn Valley (frequently the same post office but average home around $650k) has more expensive houses than Narberth but it has a very different feel (i.e. more wealth and more spread out, newer homes, less walkable, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia