Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 AM

16 posts, read 14,933 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice on what areas to move to in Philly. Here is the questionnaire!

When are you moving? 8/1 - 8/15
Where are you coming from? When are you moving?
Where are you coming from? NYC Suburbs
Why are you moving?Job relocation
Where will you be working? Center City (Convention Center area)
Have you been here yet? Graduated from Drexel in 2010. Lived in University City for 5 years

Will you buy or rent? rent for now, buying down the road.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? under 1400/month, open to type of housing.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? leaning towards hi rise to utilize gym and laundry

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? looking into CC, Fairmount, Manayunk, Roxbourough
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? married
Do you prefer public or private schools?n/a
Do you have pets?no
Do you want or need a yard?would like a little patio area or balcony, not a deal breaker
Are you keeping a car?we have two cars, looking to keep at least 1, possibly both. would look for a place with parking or a monthly lot nearby
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?would like our social life to be nearby but not necessarily looking to rent an apartment above a bar

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would like young professionals (28-35yo) in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Do you want the $1400 to include parking or are you willing to pay extra for that? If you want it included, you can write off most CC neighborhoods because that likely won't happen for 1 car... 2 cars absolutely not. There really aren't much (if any) hi rise buildings in Manayunk and Roxborough, though you will find apartment community buildings - just not super hi rise. If you're ok with a one bedroom, you can def find that in Manayunk within your price range though likely not with parking. But there's a lot that charges $65 per month. Summer is high season in Manayunk so rents are more expensive at the moment. You can find a 2BR for upwards of $1400 but that doesn't include parking.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Do you want the $1400 to include parking or are you willing to pay extra for that? If you want it included, you can write off most CC neighborhoods because that likely won't happen for 1 car... 2 cars absolutely not. There really aren't much (if any) hi rise buildings in Manayunk and Roxborough, though you will find apartment community buildings - just not super hi rise. If you're ok with a one bedroom, you can def find that in Manayunk within your price range though likely not with parking. But there's a lot that charges $65 per month. Summer is high season in Manayunk so rents are more expensive at the moment. You can find a 2BR for upwards of $1400 but that doesn't include parking.
I don't necessarily need to be in a hi rise, it is just something I prefer than with dealing with a slum lord. My experience in University City was very bad regarding landlords who didn't care about the houses. Could be just a UC thing, not in CC.

Manayunk is appealing because I do want to bring a car down and I feel like its more spacious.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperfx View Post
I don't necessarily need to be in a hi rise, it is just something I prefer than with dealing with a slum lord. My experience in University City was very bad regarding landlords who didn't care about the houses. Could be just a UC thing, not in CC.

Manayunk is appealing because I do want to bring a car down and I feel like its more spacious.
Not sure why you think all independent LLs are slumlords - has nothing to do with whether a building is hi rise or not.

And you didn't answer my very specific question about parking - Does $1400 include parking or are you willing to pay extra on top of the $1400? That will change your neighborhood options significantly.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Not sure why you think all independent LLs are slumlords - has nothing to do with whether a building is hi rise or not.

And you didn't answer my very specific question about parking - Does $1400 include parking or are you willing to pay extra on top of the $1400? That will change your neighborhood options significantly.
I apologize. I'm not saying. All Indys are bad. I'm just saying I would prefer to have the amenities of a building, whether it's hi rise or community.

I'd be willing to spend over budget on parking. Manayunk was as appealing because there were lots around 50/month I saw

Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Looking for some advice on what areas to move to in Philly. Here is the questionnaire!

Have you been here yet? Graduated from Drexel in 2010. Lived in University City for 5 years

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? under 1400/month, open to type of housing.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? leaning towards hi rise to utilize gym and laundry

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? looking into CC, Fairmount, Manayunk, Roxbourough
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Do you have pets?no
Do you want or need a yard?would like a little patio area or balcony, not a deal breaker
Are you keeping a car?we have two cars, looking to keep at least 1, possibly both. would look for a place with parking or a monthly lot nearby
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?would like our social life to be nearby but not necessarily looking to rent an apartment above a bar

Work
Shopping
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would like young professionals (28-35yo) in the area.
You could also consider going east of Fairmount to either Spring Garden or Francisville. Both have changed considerably in the 6 years since you lived in Phila.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Do you have pets?no

Work
Shopping
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Thinking a little about this... there are two new high rises in UC that didn't exist when you last lived in Philly.
Evo, a really cool building between 30- 29th Sts on Chestnut. There's also a new high rise right at the ne corner of 38th and Chestnut.

In Center City there's the brand new 1919 Market at the ne corner of 20th and Market. There also a very new one on Chestnut just east of 22nd St.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Thinking a little about this... there are two new high rises in UC that didn't exist when you last lived in Philly.
Evo, a really cool building between 30- 29th Sts on Chestnut. There's also a new high rise right at the ne corner of 38th and Chestnut.

In Center City there's the brand new 1919 Market at the ne corner of 20th and Market. There also a very new one on Chestnut just east of 22nd St.
thanks for the info but looking at these places they are 1600+.

Based on the website someone else posted I think I am leaning towards Manayunk with a 20 min commute to CC for work. THANKS!!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Based on the website someone else posted I think I am leaning towards Manayunk with a 20 min commute to CC for work. THANKS!!
As you can see, certain sites in Philly are not the bargain they were.

I still think you should consider Spring Garden or Francisville too. You're commute, depending, could be as little as 10 minutes. Quiter than Manayunk but still has some decent restaurants along Fairmount Ave. Fairmount, Spring Garden and Francisville complement each other pretty well. The area is pretty diverse.

There is also one huge high rise being built at 16th and Vine right now. Maybe a year before that one is finished, though. It's about 5 minutes from the Convention Center.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:

In Manayunk, look into Canal House and I know there's another loft building off Leaverington. I live in Manayunk, so let me know if you have any questions about the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: