Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,347 times

Advertisements

What are the most walkable city-like areas right outside of Philly? On the Main Line, we are familiar with Ardmore, Wynnewood, Narberth, Bryn Mawr and surrounding areas. On the Jersey side, we have heard about Haddonfield and Collingswood. Anywhere else, especially with good public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 AM

401 posts, read 426,946 times
Media a little further out West Chester.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Close: Media, Ambler, Jenkintown
Farther: West Chester, Phoenixville
Talking here about walkability - I don't know about quality of public schools.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Doylestown

Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Ambler is a good suggestion. That's in the Wissahickon School District, which is well-regarded.

Media and Swarthmore are also good places to check out, but Swarthmore doesn't have a whole lot of "town." Schools are very good.

Doylestown is further out (I'm not sure what you mean by "right outside of Philly") but still has train access to Center City. I think that's in Central Bucks East or West School District, which are also both well-regarded.

West Chester is another one to check out, as is Phoenixville, but neither currently has train access to the city (although you didn't say that mattered in your OP). Both of these areas have good schools too, but they are a little further out.

There are plenty of other places that have walkability but these are some of the more well-known ones.

You can also check out this link:

Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
What's the definition of walkable?

Does it mean walk to amenities (supermarket, park, shopping mall, restaurants, bars, hospital, movies, etc) or walk around for leisure? Or is it both. Or is it simply, live without a car?

If it's walking to amenities, I think the US is a far away compared to Europe. Living without a car is a pain unless you have nothing else to do with your time.

Media keeps coming up because it has a train to CC but I think Media downtown is overrated. There's nothing other than a few stores. Unless there is another part of media that I missed.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

Does it mean walk to amenities (supermarket, park, shopping mall, restaurants, bars, hospital, movies, etc) or walk around for leisure? Or is it both. Or is it simply, live without a car?

If it's walking to amenities, I think the US is a far away compared to Europe. Living without a car is a pain unless you have nothing else to do with your time.

Media keeps coming up because it has a train to CC but I think Media downtown is overrated. There's nothing other than a few stores. Unless there is another part of media that I missed.
"Walkable" in the Phila area, overall, means, imo, the combination of the first two points you cite. It does not, necessarily mean living without a car.

Some of us living in Philadelphia(meaning actually living in parts of the city)live quite well without cars, thank you.

Media is charming. Ambler and Wayne are too. You do not understand that in a Philly context.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
You ditched your car after you retired. I doubt you could have said the same at the prime of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Some of us living in Philadelphia(meaning actually living in parts of the city)live quite well without cars, thank you.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
You ditched your car after you retired. I doubt you could have said the same at the prime of your life.
No, I could have ditched it before. At least ten or more years ago, in fact. My commute to Penn was 15minutes by pub trans and about 20 minutes walking the 3 miles from my home. I never drove to work and all the shopping I care about now I can get to on pub trans or uber.

I finally wised up and realized the money I was throwing away on storing/parking, insuring, getting state inspections/ maintenance, I could invest, or travel more, or just generally enjoy more of what I like like concerts or shows.

We have wildly different lifestyles, I think. I'm single right now and I never had kids.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:

I actually think it has been underrated/a hidden gem for a while, now all of a sudden the borough is booming. Several large apartment buildings and townhouses going up, new hotel, new wawa, new restaurants coming every month, and the potential demolition of the former Town House restaurant and its parking lot is a huge development opportunity.

Media is by no means exciting to me, but I think its just about as charming and active as a suburban downtown can get, and after West Chester and KoP (if u want to county KoP) it seems to have the brightest future for growth and development.

And the public schools in Media and Swarthmore are on-par with Main Line schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia