Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 06:24 AM

417 posts, read 454,971 times

Advertisements

Perusing the Phil Forums, there were a few mentions of Lafayette Hill. I am not familiar with it but have recently heard it mentioned a bit more lately. I don't see too many recent posts on here, and am wondering what general info any one can provide.
We will be retiring and moving to be near family, so looking in the general Phil area and have actually done some real looking. The issue is of course that we are downsizing from a large 5 br home and although we really don't use most of the space, the shock of moving to a much smaller place is not to be taken lightly.
In any case, I see a few listings that have potential for us in Lafayette Hill. The area seems like its fine but just wondering for any more in the know.

Is it a solid good area? Is the proximity to Phil proper a negative? I know it's good in terms of commute but in terms of crime schools etc. Would you consider it a solid investment or less than real desirable.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 03:30 PM

28 posts, read 25,660 times
Schools are great. The areas of Philly nearest Lafayette Hill have lower rates of crime than the rest of the city. Crime is very low in Lafayette Hill, and basically limited to the occasional property crime. Shopping is in close proximity, but you will have to drive to do almost everything. For a fuller answer, I recommend filling this out... Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:37 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,772 times
You're a short drive to several malls (with Whole Foods, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Lowe's, theater, etc. etc.)
You're a short drive to some small, local strip malls that you'd use on a more daily basis than the above.
You're a short drive to I76 and the Penn Turnpike
You're a short drive to ...

You get the point. You're close to a lot of things but you'll be using your car to get to them. If you want a walkable downtown you're better off in Ambler, Glenside, or any number of other towns.

And yes, it's close to Philly. Whether you think that's a good thing (which I do - I live here) depends on what you're looking for. But if you're asking if proximity to Philly means proximity to crime, etc. - all the negative things - the answer is clearly "no" - the closest part of Philly to L. Hill is also one of the most desirable: Chestnut Hill.

You said you were retiring, but then mentioned proximity to Philly being good for commuting - ???

Old 07-22-2017, 12:21 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Funny how I had never heard of it and now it has come up in conversations and searches for me. Hearing mostly very positive things about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,629 times
Lafayette Hill is very nice with mostly big homes, big lots, but a mix of everything and even farmland. Close to Wissahickon park trails, Morris Arboretum, Chestnut Hill (charming neighborhood at the far NW tip of Philly) and easy access to highways/shopping etc. Taxes may be high,depending where you're coming from, but there's nothing negative really to say about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia