Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:55 AM

5 posts, read 2,769 times

Advertisements

I’m finally here in Philly, staying in corporate housing in Rittenhouse Square.
A number of people answered my question regarding SEPTA, now I wonder, what is the commute time if I were to drive in from Wynnewood or Ardmore. I would be driving during typical rush hour times, leaving at 7a-715a to drive in CC and driving home about 6:30pm out of CC back to Wynnewood/Ardmore. I haven’t been to Ardmore yet, planning to check out the new apts being built (One Ardmore Place). But I did visit Maybrook in Wynnewood and loved it and am leaning towards that. I don’t mind driving but I just want to weigh all the options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:47 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
If you take the highway, maybe 1 hr 15 min give or take 15 minutes or more? If you go locally, maybe 45 minutes - 1 hr?
Because the Schuykyll is only 2 lanes much of the way, rush hour tends to usually get super tight on the highway going to the city in the morning and leaving the city in the evening.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 AM

333 posts, read 282,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine424 View Post
A number of people answered my question regarding SEPTA, now I wonder, what is the commute time if I were to drive in from Wynnewood or Ardmore. I would be driving during typical rush hour times, leaving at 7a-715a to drive in CC and driving home about 6:30pm out of CC back to Wynnewood/Ardmore. I haven’t been to Ardmore yet, planning to check out the new apts being built (One Ardmore Place). But I did visit Maybrook in Wynnewood and loved it and am leaning towards that. I don’t mind driving but I just want to weigh all the options.
76 is going to be terrible regardless of the time you leave. Trust me, by 7a it's already a hot mess.

You might try to take either Lancaster Ave all the way into the city, or maybe come down City Ave and try either Kelly Drive or West River Drive.

Back roads will very much be your friend here.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,385 times
I know you said that folks already answered your questions regarding SEPTA, but I have to ask...any reason why you would want your car at work? That apartment complex is a quick walk down Haverford Avenue to the Narberth train station. The stations in the area you are looking, going west to east (i.e., towards the city), are Ardmore, Wynnewood, then Narberth. So the Narberth station will save you about five minutes travel time. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but the walk to the Narberth station from those apartments is literally five minutes, so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a parking spot in the Wynnewood SEPTA lot.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Why drive? Take the train from Ardmore or Wynnewood. In fact look for apts.in Wynnewood too.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
76 is going to be terrible regardless of the time you leave. Trust me, by 7a it's already a hot mess.

You might try to take either Lancaster Ave all the way into the city, or maybe come down City Ave and try either Kelly Drive or West River Drive.

Back roads will very much be your friend here.
City Ave is a mess too at 7am.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I know you said that folks already answered your questions regarding SEPTA, but I have to ask...any reason why you would want your car at work? That apartment complex is a quick walk down Haverford Avenue to the Narberth train station. The stations in the area you are looking, going west to east (i.e., towards the city), are Ardmore, Wynnewood, then Narberth. So the Narberth station will save you about five minutes travel time. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but the walk to the Narberth station from those apartments is literally five minutes, so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a parking spot in the Wynnewood SEPTA lot.
You don't have to park in that septa lot. The OP could park in the Wynnewood shopping ctr lot which is directly across the street from the station.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If you take the highway, maybe 1 hr 15 min give or take 15 minutes or more? If you go locally, maybe 45 minutes - 1 hr?
Because the Schuykyll is only 2 lanes much of the way, rush hour tends to usually get super tight on the highway going to the city in the morning and leaving the city in the evening.
There is almost an accident on it daily eearly morning which always makes matters worse.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Dunno or don't recall what people told you about commuting via septa, but tbh it does not make sense for you to drive from any Main Line town especially the inner burbs of Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Ardmore, Wynnewood, Narberth.

And, tbh, you will end up hating Philly if you do your commute by car. I've lived in the area my entire life, I know where the back roads are and I STILL would NEVER do it on a weekday basis.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 911,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
1:15 on the Schuykill is too long even at rush hour. To get to Ardmore from CC, you only have to take the Schuylkill from the Vine to City Line (then take Montgomery Ave to Ardmore). The expressway will be backed up at rush hour, but I doubt it would take more than 45 mins or so going that way. It's only like 4 miles on the highway.

Either way, Septa is the right choice from Ardmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia