Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 PM

81 posts, read 183,553 times

Advertisements

I am a new commuter going into the city and take the Market-Frankfort line and I was wondering if SEPTA is going to use any of their ordered train cars for that line? I never realized how old and dirty the train cars are for SEPTA compared to even PATCO and other cities that I’ve been too and was just curious thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
I am a new commuter going into the city and take the Market-Frankfort line and I was wondering if SEPTA is going to use any of their ordered train cars for that line? I never realized how old and dirty the train cars are for SEPTA compared to even PATCO and other cities that I’ve been too and was just curious thanks
Unless something has changed with Patco that I was unaware of those trains are older than the MFL (1999/2000) or the BSL(mid-80s).

Any new ordered trains are probably going to regional rail.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:37 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
As kyb01 noted, the Market-Frankford Line car fleet is of relatively recent vintage (1997); the only newer railcars operating on SEPTA are the Sliverliner Vs on Regional Rail (2013; yanked from service for six months the following year when defects were discovered in their stabilizer bars).

The car order SEPTA is currently working on consists of unpowered double-deck coaches for Regional Rail.

PATCO actually has the oldest rail cars currently in use in the region. The original fleet that entered service when the line opened in 1969 turns 50 this year. They've undergone total rebuilds recently, though, so they look newer and should be good for another 50 years or so.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:24 AM

752 posts, read 461,399 times
Maybe I need to get out more but I think the El cars are actually clean and in good shape (litter from passengers notwithstanding).

(credit: planphilly.com)

Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Maybe I need to get out more but I think the El cars are actually clean and in good shape (litter from passengers notwithstanding).

They definitely are in pretty good shape (and relatively new), especially when you consider some of the oldest rolling stock in New York dates back to the beginning of the Vietnam War. My only complaint is that the seats and dividers in the MFL cars take up too much room that could be used to fit more people standing. Although I assume the El did not have the level of ridership when these cars were built that it does now. If I remember correctly, they started taking some of the seats out to make more room for standees.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Unless something has changed with Patco that I was unaware of those trains are older than the MFL (1999/2000) or the BSL(mid-80s).

Any new ordered trains are probably going to regional rail.
That was exactly what I was thinking. They may be more clean at times, but they are certainly not newer. And they don't look newer either.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:07 AM

752 posts, read 461,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That was exactly what I was thinking. They may be more clean at times, but they are certainly not newer. And they don't look newer either.
It's still the old cars but they have been refurbished so they are certainly the newest, cleanest looking cars in the area.

(credit: railwayage.com)

Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post

Yesterday riding from 69th St at mid-day, the MFL train I rode on was spotless including the floor. And, consider, getting floors clean after wet and snowy winters has to be a tough job. I often see someone doing extra spot trash cleanup before a train leaves 69th St.

The litter is not what it used to be.

Honestly how ignorant are people here that you don't know how much cleaner these vehicles are today?

You missed the graffiti/scratch-iffiti days. People today do not touch/markup ads either. That used to be common.

One thing that adds to how vehicles look now is that you can not smoke on them or, mostly, not in stations.

Try to imagine riding on today's NHSL with people smoking? That used to happen when it was the P&W and, then, Red Arrow.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
They definitely are in pretty good shape (and relatively new), especially when you consider some of the oldest rolling stock in New York dates back to the beginning of the Vietnam War. My only complaint is that the seats and dividers in the MFL cars take up too much room that could be used to fit more people standing. Although I assume the El did not have the level of ridership when these cars were built that it does now. If I remember correctly, they started taking some of the seats out to make more room for standees.
True about the seating on the MFL.

Yes, some seats have been removed on some trains.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:57 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,526,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
As kyb01 noted, the Market-Frankford Line car fleet is of relatively recent vintage (1997); the only newer railcars operating on SEPTA are the Sliverliner Vs on Regional Rail (2013; yanked from service for six months the following year when defects were discovered in their stabilizer bars).

The car order SEPTA is currently working on consists of unpowered double-deck coaches for Regional Rail.

PATCO actually has the oldest rail cars currently in use in the region. The original fleet that entered service when the line opened in 1969 turns 50 this year. They've undergone total rebuilds recently, though, so they look newer and should be good for another 50 years or so.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: