Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 02:20 PM

9,359 posts, read 13,026,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I actually really like Collingswood/Haddon township and nearby Cooper River Park. It's quite a nice little town surrounded by parks and water. That being said, it's minuscule compared to the Wissahickon. The Cooper River Park area like a fun place to walk or ride your bike but you can't really escape the sound of traffic. The Wissahickon makes you feel like you're in the middle of the woods and that's a cool feeling while still in the city.
I think they’ll get a sense pretty quickly of whether the outdoorsy offerings in South Jersey are what they’re looking for. Keep in mind the the pine barrens, which are truly rural, would not be too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 08:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,321,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I think they’ll get a sense pretty quickly of whether the outdoorsy offerings in South Jersey are what they’re looking for. Keep in mind the the pine barrens, which are truly rural, would not be too far away.

Eh... Collingswood is cute. Haddonfield is definitely nice.

But when you compare East Falls. It just outranks on every margin.

It is adjacent to the largest urban park in the nation for outdoor recreation.

It is just minutes away from Manayunk which is far superior to Collingswood for offerings on a dinning and things to do level.

it is minutes to Chestnut Hill which most definitely outranks Haddonfield as well.

You are also just a hop skip and a jump to Center City and also City Ave. for shopping needs as well as Conshohocken and Plymouth Meeting.

I know Collingswood has a trail that is a nice distance...

But it just does not compete with Fairmount Park and its mass and offerings.

East Falls also offers more diversity in rentals and housing stock to fit the OP's needs.

I would recommend Collingswood to a young couple who had to commute daily to somewhere in South Jersey for work like say Mt. Laurel...

The OP said most of their travel is actually in Philadelphia itself and they only need to go to NJ one day a week.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

It is just minutes away from Manayunk which is far superior to Collingswood for offerings on a dinning and things to do level.

it is minutes to Chestnut Hill which most definitely outranks Haddonfield as well.

You are also just a hop skip and a jump to Center City and also City Ave. for shopping needs as well as Conshohocken and Plymouth Meeting.

East Falls also offers more diversity in rentals and housing stock to fit the OP's needs.

I would recommend Collingswood to a young couple who had to commute daily to somewhere in South Jersey for work like say Mt. Laurel...

The OP said most of their travel is actually in Philadelphia itself and they only need to go to NJ one day a week.
East Falls doesn’t have much going on. The points in East Falls’ favor are its proximity to other, more bustling areas, and relative affordability. I would personally opt for Chestnut Hill, where I used to live (and still live next door to) over Collingswood, but Collingswood is worthy of consideration.

Haddonfield was just a point of reference. I wouldn’t actually recommend it for the OP (not really within budget, for one thing).

Old 04-06-2021, 10:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times
Quote:

No one has suggested that the OP live in Haddonfield. The OP could walk to it from Collingswood. Do you understand that?

I never said that Cooper River Park competes with Fairmont park. It does stretch from Collingswood to Haddonfield. You can walk back into it and not hear cars in certain places.

Do you understand that posters have given a thumbs down to Manayunk because of all of the bars there. Elijah brought up the Pine Barrens. Don't embarrass yourself by taking potshots at the Pine Barrens.

The OP is concerned about safety and can check neighborhoods and towns online for crime. A former coworker of mine debated between Haddonfield and Chestnut Hill when she was ready to buy a house. Chestnut Hill won because she had several friends there. She liked both equally. I'm not recommending Haddonfield to the OP. But since you're trying to trash it, I'm not buying your rant, and I just told why.

You're hard selling East Falls. I made a suggestion, but you're trying to trash the suggestion. Do you not understand that when you toss out your negative opinions I have every right to counter them, if I know otherwise? These posts are archived.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No one has suggested that the OP live in Haddonfield. The OP could walk to it from Collingswood. Do you understand that?

I never said that Cooper River Park competes with Fairmont park. It does stretch from Collingswood to Haddonfield. You can walk back into it and not hear cars in certain places.

Do you understand that posters have given a thumbs down to Manayunk because of all of the bars there. Elijah brought up the Pine Barrens. Don't embarrass yourself by taking potshots at the Pine Barrens.

The OP is concerned about safety and can check neighborhoods and towns online for crime. A former coworker of mine debated between Haddonfield and Chestnut Hill when she was ready to buy a house. Chestnut Hill won because she had several friends there. She liked both equally. I'm not recommending Haddonfield to the OP. But since you're trying to trash it, I'm not buying your rant, and I just told why.

You're hard selling East Falls. I made a suggestion, but you're trying to trash the suggestion. Do you not understand that when you toss out your negative opinions I have every right to counter them, if I know otherwise? These posts are archived.
I never trashed Collingswood. I simply said Collingswood would be a great option if the OP had to commute to say Mt. Laurel everyday.

From the original post they said they actually will have to primarily travel around Philadelphia and travel into New Jersey one day a week.

That is all..

Old 04-06-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
East Falls doesn’t have much going on. The points in East Falls’ favor are its proximity to other, more bustling areas, and relative affordability. I would personally opt for Chestnut Hill, where I used to live (and still live next door to) over Collingswood, but Collingswood is worthy of consideration.

Haddonfield was just a point of reference. I wouldn’t actually recommend it for the OP (not really within budget, for one thing).
It's always a contest with him, and he wants to win.

All I can say is that over the years, in several stations that I worked at, I had coworkers who lived in many of the neighborhoods in Philadelphia and a lot of the suburbs in the tristate area. In conversations I heard good and bad about all of those places and I don't repeat any of the bad on this board. I have to say, I never knew a single solitary person who lived in East Falls.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I never trashed Collingswood. I simply said Collingswood would be a great option if the OP had to commute to say Mt. Laurel everyday.

From the original post they said they actually will have to primarily travel around Philadelphia and travel into New Jersey one day a week.

That is all..
Read your own posts.

The OP did not make it clear if the traveling will be in the city or the metro. I'm going on the assumption that it could be either.

I might or might not recommend Collingswood for commuting to Mt Laurel. It would just depend.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:

All I can say is that over the years, in several stations that I worked at, I had coworkers who lived in many of the neighborhoods in Philadelphia and a lot of the suburbs in the tristate area. In conversations I heard good and bad about all of those places and I don't repeat any of the bad on this board. I have to say, I never knew a single solitary person who lived in East Falls.
There’s a small village center by Ridge Avenue, but East Falls is mostly a residential area. It is a good value, and there’s a wide variety of housing stock, but Mt. Airy, and especially Chestnut Hill, has more to do. As does Collingswood.

Another area where Collingswood excels that Northwest Philadelphia lacks: dining. The restaurants in Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill are very middle-of-the-road for the most part. I haven’t eaten out at many places that I’ve found bad, but I wouldn’t describe many as very good. I believe that aside from West Chester, Collingswood is the only suburb that regularly boasts entries in Philly Mag’s 50 Best Restaurants lists.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 AM

1,398 posts, read 921,791 times
Collingswood is a great suggestion based on the OP. "At home among Bob Marley types" is Collingswood to a tee. It is a very artsy town with a local music festival every year called Porchfest where the musicians in the town all play concerts on their porch and the people can walk around and hear a concert going on every couple blocks. I've gone a couple times. It's really neat. Cooper River Park is a great place for biking, jogging, and other outdoor exercise. Access to 295 makes a commute to Pennington much easier and PATCO is only a 15 min ride to Center City (and the bridges are easily accessible if a car is needed in the city). The only thing I don't know about is skate parks.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Ed Rendell the former Mayor of Philadelphia and Governor of Pennsylvania has lived in East Falls for over 30 years. He still lives there today.

The reason why I thought East Falls was the best suggestion....

It is quiet. It sounds like the OP wants quiet. It is close to both Kelly Dr and the Wissahickon for definitely the best recreation bunch that you can find within less than .5 miles. And you have direct access to the 71 mile Schuylkill River Trail in East Falls if the OP enjoys biking..

It is close to Manayunk.. so if you do want to do some eclectic shopping and go to a nice restaurant you are close enough by to explore..and also close enough to leave when that bar crowd descends after 10PM without being in the middle of it.

Manayunk which is just a short 2 miles from East Falls also has that wonderful Schuylkill crossing bridge now to get to Lower Merion for even more park recreation and trails at your disposal on top of the Schuylkill Trail, Wissahickon and Fairmount Park.

It is close enough to Chestnut Hill to enjoy that quiet and quaint Main Street that is similar to Haddonfield.

It has easy access to 76 and Kelly Drive for quick access to Center City and the Vine to get to New Jersey for the once a week commute there.

And it is also just across the bridge from City Ave. for all your everyday shopping needs.

The great thing about East Falls is its diversity of housing stock.

It has everything from inexpensive rowhomes, small apartments, nicely appointed twin homes, to stately historic single family homes.

Grace Kelly's family home is in East Falls, to just give you a sense of its housing diversity and character.

It really is the best of both worlds if you want that urban accessibility, but that quiet feel...which it sounds what the OP is looking for...

Collingswood is a cute town. I would recommend it if the OP had to commute to Center City for work everyday or if they worked in S. Jersey everyday. But it does not sound like that is the case with this particular couple.

They have not chimed in so it is hard to know what they truly are looking for based on everyone's insight.

But in the recreation department East Falls definitely pulls ahead of Collingswood by a lot.

The OP in their first post said: "I’m more concerned about easy access to safe trees and trails."

Last edited by rowhomecity; 04-07-2021 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia