Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 314 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm considering a move to Pennsylvania with my family from Northern Virginia. I have two young kids - 4 year old and a 9 year old. We are considering two homes - one in the Methacton school district and one in the Central Bucks - South district. Based on niche and greatschool websites, seems like Methacton and Central Bucks - South districts appear to have on average about 10-15% "Asian" student populations. Any one have any idea on whether that's mostly South Asians? The current elementary school that my older child goes to has about 20-30% Korean students (about 50% Asians in total). It'd be nice if there were other Korean students at my kids' new school.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:11 AM

1,385 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkc1979 View Post
Hi.

I'm considering a move to Pennsylvania with my family from Northern Virginia. I have two young kids - 4 year old and a 9 year old. We are considering two homes - one in the Methacton school district and one in the Central Bucks - South district. Based on niche and greatschool websites, seems like Methacton and Central Bucks - South districts appear to have on average about 10-15% "Asian" student populations. Any one have any idea on whether that's mostly South Asians? The current elementary school that my older child goes to has about 20-30% Korean students (about 50% Asians in total). It'd be nice if there were other Korean students at my kids' new school.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know about Methacton, but the Asian population in Bucks County is growing, but most of the growth seems like people of Indian origin, not Chinese or Korean, which seems like a more stable (but fairly small) population. I don't have data on that, just what I've noticed living in the area.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:40 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Your best bets are the North Penn School District, specifically Montgomery Township; Wissahickon School District, particularly Lower Gwynedd and Whitpain Townships; and Hatboro-Horsham School District, specifically Horsham Township.

Unfortunately, as you’ve probably gathered, the Korean population in greater Philadelphia pales in comparison to that of MoCo and Fairfax County (even though the Delaware Valley has a fairly large Korean population relative to the country as a whole). Even including people of mixed race, the overall Korean population in these highlighted areas is in the 5-10% range, with the combined school districts on the very low end of that range. Central Bucks and Methacton are around 1-2%.

Going back to North Penn, Wissahickon, and Hatboro-Horsham, you may find elementary school catchments whose student populations are 15-20% Korean. If you reach out to the Korean churches in these areas, you’ll probably get more and better information (whether or not you’re religious, or even Christian).

Old 04-12-2024, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 314 times
Thanks for the feedbacks! Homes in the Wissahickon school district is a bit out of my price range - currently looking for something newer built. Any insight on Upper Merion school district? From what I can find, looks like most of the Asians that go there are of Indian origin as well.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:11 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkc1979 View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks! Homes in the Wissahickon school district is a bit out of my price range - currently looking for something newer built. Any insight on Upper Merion school district? From what I can find, looks like most of the Asians that go there are of Indian origin as well.
You are correct that Upper Merion’s Asian population is predominantly Indian. The Korean student population is also likely in the 1-2% range.

If Wissahickon is too expensive but Upper Merion is in reach, Montgomery and Horsham Townships may have what you’re looking for, especially if you’re after new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia