Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,889,697 times

Advertisements

check this out for info like population, education, financial, environment, and crime information for any zip code. Its really handy when you want to find out about a location.. You can even put in 2 zip codes and do a one to one comparo..

http://www.onboardnavigator.com/1.5/...h.aspx?AID=108
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Stats are great tools, but not the sum of correct information as Frank has discovered through his one dimensional approach to rating neighborhoods in the city. It's also a good idea to ask people who live within specific neighborhoods of their actual experiences, rather than listen to those who don't live there and their preconceived notions.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,889,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Stats are great tools, but not the sum of correct information as Frank has discovered through his one dimensional approach to rating neighborhoods in the city. It's also a good idea to ask people who live within specific neighborhoods of their actual experiences, rather than listen to those who don't live there and their preconceived notions.

Actually you will not get totally honest opinions from the residents either due to the fact they are living there and maybe themselves made the mistake of moving there and have to 'defend' Philly" at al costs even tho they are disillusioned.. Happens a lot more then you think it does.. Ask the one who moved out and why they did.. Like myself.. Theres a true answer..
and stats don't lie.... Residents do

Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 PM

71 posts, read 96,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't put much stock in that site, the statistics are definitely skewed. It would have you thinking there's a crime wave at Frankford and Knights. Some people just need to convince themselves and pat themselves on the back for moving to the suburbs.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 PM

71 posts, read 96,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Actually you will not get totally honest opinions from the residents either due to the fact they are living there and maybe themselves made the mistake of moving there and have to 'defend' Philly" at al costs even tho they are disillusioned.. Happens a lot more then you think it does.. Ask the one who moved out and why they did.. Like myself.. Theres a true answer..
and stats don't lie.... Residents do
The people who move are only going to focus on the negative and they usually have a tendency to enhance things to be worse than they really were in order to 'defend' their decision to flee. Happens a lot more than you think it does ... ask the ones who live there and why they do ... there's a true answer ... stats often lie ... residents don't. Case in point - There was a "rape" that came up on the police blotter in Bridesburg last year. Holy Crap!!! I'm moving! First, though, I asked around, nobody heard anything. I called the 15th for info and got a cop I knew, he said there was no rape, turns out some goofy chick was fighting with her boyfriend and to get back at him, she screamed rape. But there it was, right on the police blotter as rape.
Another case I looked into - A stabbing in front of the bar ... Holy Crap!!! I'm moving! Again, I ask around. Turns out it was some depressed dude who decided to cut himself with a knife ... a depressed dude isn't enough to send me packing.

Last edited by RW 41; 04-13-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,179,751 times
The posts above were moved from the "General Pointers" sticky thread which was meant to be an informational thread. This will allow civil discussion and debate on the above topic to continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia