Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 36,091 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who provided info about the Manayunk - KOP commute-- very helpful and informative!

So, Manayunk: what are the pros and cons of this area?

I'm a female young professional (22/single) and looking for a fun, safe, vibrant community where I can meet others in similar situations. I've heard numerous accounts of Manayunk being a phenomenal haven for young professionals such as myself, so I was surprised in the other thread to have relatively negative feedback about this area.

I'm interested finding out what the pros & cons of Manayunk are; so far all I've really heard is that the parking is horrible. What about:

Safety/Crime
Restaurants
Theatres
Shopping
Nightlife
Cost of living
The bike race
Demographics
Transportation
Parks
Other random factoids

Please let me know what some pros and cons are of Manayunk. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:23 PM

160 posts, read 802,396 times
Safety/Crime-unsure,though I feel safe whenever I am there
Restaurants-Chabba Thai,Il Tartufo(Italian),Derek's(organic amaerican fusion)Jake's(high end),An Indian Affair(not sure if this is really the name);great pizza place-The Couch Tomato Cafe
Theatres-movie theater right on main st next to diner
Shopping -nicole miller, BR,lots of little boutique type shops
Nightlife-lots of bars and a few clubs in the area
Cost of living-relatively inexpensive considering how close you are to walking to stores/restaurants and how close you are to getting downtown;you can pay extra for a space in a lot or rent/own a place with your own parking
The bike race-never did it but have plenty of friends who love it
Demographics-unsure
Transportation-lots of public transportation, but parking is terrible,though not as bad as CC.
Parks-unsure
Other random factoids-my #1 dislike about Manayunk is the streets in the winter. The streets are tiny and uphill in some areas so they remain slushy and icy.HOWEVER, this is not to complain about the area,it is very livable. Manayunk has new construction going up so I suspect the area will actually become even nicer in the next few years. The new construction prices are starting somewhere around 300K and go upwards to 600K. Also, there's a few good hair salons on main st

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM

183 posts, read 631,808 times
There is probably no more fun place to live for a 22 f in the Philly region. You will be surrounded by people in your age range. Like college without the classes. You can walk to everything, and there is a broad range of restaurants and clubs. Center City is right close by, and you can get there by train.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Manayunk is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

The inconveniences I can think of are: parking sucks, you can't really go grocery shopping in the neighborhood, it's cut off from the rest of the city. That's it really.

The R6 is good for getting to work and I think on Friday/Saturday it's one of the trains that are supposed to get special late night service.

The 61 and 62 (the express version of the 61) buses are handy for getting to Center City. IMO, Roxborough is better for getting to Center City than Manayunk is. Rox has the 32, 27, 9 and 61. The 27 and 9 are the express routes.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
suburb

Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
suburb
It would help her more if you wrote more than a single word...

Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,952 times
City wage tax sucks, parking sucks, hills suck, winter sucks, apparently a frat boy attitude prevails, and some of your neighbors will be less than neighborly...my friend lived there and had a neighbor (established family) who would take their parking spots and hit their cars when backing out all the time...my friends lived there for about 5 years and couldn't wait to get out by the time they left...

I would chose Conshohocken or Northern Liberties over Manayunk any day...Manayunk is played out, a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there...

Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 18,267 times
i was born there,my whole family lives there.dont forget to try marchianos tomato pie, its on umbria st. the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia