Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times

Advertisements

I was in Philly for Penn Relays, and on Saturday night I saw loads of youth "pissin' a ***** at 11:30" (to quote Richard Pryor) (Penn campus, around 40th and Chestnut). I'm gonna guess there were about 500 youths out and about that night! Mad cops coming on the scene to sqash mutiple beefs. I was told that there is a midnight curfew, but, according to businessowners, security folk and cops, this happens every weekend and there's little enforcement of the curfew.

Man, it was wild! I wonder who's doing anything about those kids, some of whom looked as young as 10 years old? I asked someone, "Where are the parents?" The person replied, "out!"

In New York, that type of stuff (Crown Heights riot, 1991) took down a mayor. And that was only one weekend.

Youth actin' like that every weekend looks like a serious policy issue on a whoooole bunch of levels. This is not a thread to trash the City of Brotherly Love, a city I love dearly; I have attended the past 18 Penn Relay weekends, and I have close friends in Philly. But what I saw was very disturbing, and I would like some idea as to how this issue regarding Philly youth can be resolved.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
It really doesn't happen that often but when the weather 1st gets warm the natives get restless.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
It really doesn't happen that often but when the weather 1st gets warm the natives get restless.
I was told that it DOES happen often, and that there is a serious youth problem in Philly.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I was told that it DOES happen often, and that there is a serious youth problem in Philly.
Yes they are animals, no question, but they usually stay in their own neighborhoods where you wouldn't go and then just attack each other. That's why the city's crime statistics are as high as they are. It's mostly young thugs attacking other young thugs but they do it out of sight of normal people (for the most part)

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM

79 posts, read 250,567 times
Where exactly did you see this? 40th and Chestnut?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotlenova View Post
Where exactly did you see this? 40th and Chestnut?
Read about it here

http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian....-3726252.shtml

Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM

54 posts, read 293,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

I live a couple blocks down from the whole crowd gathering on 40th and Walnut, and I can assure you it does not happen often. Actually this is the first time that I have ever seen such a crowd on 40th and Walnut. I was surprised to see the crowd. It was never that big. I am assuming it was like this, because of the nice weather and there is nothing for high school kids to do in other parts of West Philly. Maybe if we had more movie theatres and other areas for kids to hangout then there would not be such a congregation.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep77 View Post
I am assuming it was like this, because of the nice weather and there is nothing for high school kids to do in other parts of West Philly. Maybe if we had more movie theatres and other areas for kids to hangout then there would not be such a congregation.
What about telling them to join after school activities, participate in sports, volunteer in their neighborhoods to help perform chores for elderly neighbors, take art classes, read, get a job, etc.? I worked nearly full-time starting at age 16, and I have no regrets. I was able to purchase my own car, pay for my own gas/insurance, and help out with household bills to ease the burden on my parents. Why does everyone feel the need to make "excuses" for the animal-like behavior of inner-city youths that the OP mentioned? A lack of discipline should not be encouraged. I grew up in an isolated upper-middle-class (and largely elderly) subdivision in the 'burbs, and even though I was not within walking distance of ANYTHING (even a park for crying out loud), I still managed to remain lawful, peaceful, and found better ways to be productive than to riot in the streets.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Over the weekend, I watched a Council meeting on TV, and issues that were discussed.......

1. Tax relief for elderly homeowners.
2. Tax abatements for newcomers, and its effect on current residents.
3. Fire access to alleys (I know that there are many in Philly).

There was no mention of any youth issue, though people say that a youth problem is present.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What about telling them to join after school activities, participate in sports, volunteer in their neighborhoods to help perform chores for elderly neighbors, take art classes, read, get a job, etc.? I worked nearly full-time starting at age 16, and I have no regrets. I was able to purchase my own car, pay for my own gas/insurance, and help out with household bills to ease the burden on my parents. Why does everyone feel the need to make "excuses" for the animal-like behavior of inner-city youths that the OP mentioned? A lack of discipline should not be encouraged. I grew up in an isolated upper-middle-class (and largely elderly) subdivision in the 'burbs, and even though I was not within walking distance of ANYTHING (even a park for crying out loud), I still managed to remain lawful, peaceful, and found better ways to be productive than to riot in the streets.
Which part of "animals" didn't you understand? If any of these kids are capable of doing those things they already are. The opportunties exist already. Most of them are raised like abused and neglected cats and dogs by parents (when there are two) who are children themselves, so of course they are going to have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: