Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 05:30 PM

101 posts, read 503,853 times

Advertisements

As the heading suggests I may be moving there within the next year. I've got two sets of twins (4 and under) and I'm looking for a nice suburban neighborhood with stuff to do for the kids and good schools.

The job I may be getting (I hope I'm not jinxing it by posting here) is downtown in the market district, so I'm looking for areas on train routes. Just by a little research here, looking at google earth and realtor.com, I've found a few areas that might be appropriate, including Ambler, Maple Glen and Horsham. But looking from the outside doesn't tell much.

Any suggestions? Thoughts on those particular towns? I'm looking for something that would give me no more than about a 30-45 minute train commute.

How are the trains, btw? Over crowded? Easy to get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,727,278 times
I would go with Jenkintown. Its close to the city and has one of the better suburban train stations.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
As the heading suggests I may be moving there within the next year. I've got two sets of twins (4 and under) and I'm looking for a nice suburban neighborhood with stuff to do for the kids and good schools.

The job I may be getting (I hope I'm not jinxing it by posting here) is downtown in the market district, so I'm looking for areas on train routes. Just by a little research here, looking at google earth and realtor.com, I've found a few areas that might be appropriate, including Ambler, Maple Glen and Horsham. But looking from the outside doesn't tell much.

Any suggestions? Thoughts on those particular towns? I'm looking for something that would give me no more than about a 30-45 minute train commute.

How are the trains, btw? Over crowded? Easy to get around?
Those are all fine suburban neighborhoods. The school districts that include Ambler and Horsham are good; I'm not knowledgeable about Maple Glen but I would predict it is fine as well.

You're working on Market Street downtown, I take it? If your employer's address is 1500 or higher, you're working in Center City West or the business district. If it's 1400 or less, then you're in Center City East generally, could be the Historic District if you're between 400-800.

The commuter trains that you would be taking - coming from Warminster or Doylestown - shouldn't require you to stand. I do hear that the trains from Paoli/Thorndale can get crowded; perhaps someone else can confirm or refute that? Check out SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority for the Regional Rail schedules.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the input, I'll check out Jenkintown as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You're working on Market Street downtown, I take it? If your employer's address is 1500 or higher, you're working in Center City West or the business district. If it's 1400 or less, then you're in Center City East generally, could be the Historic District if you're between 400-800.
Sounds like I would be in Center City East near Market and 11th.

Quote:
The commuter trains that you would be taking - coming from Warminster or Doylestown - shouldn't require you to stand. I do hear that the trains from Paoli/Thorndale can get crowded; perhaps someone else can confirm or refute that? Check out SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority for the Regional Rail schedules.
Great link, that helps as well.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Glad that helped you out!

I also meant to agree with killakoolaide regarding Jenkintown. It's a comfortable, long-established suburb like the others you're looking into. As already mentioned, it also has a train station that happens to be a commuter rail hub.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
Maple Glen is in Upper Dublin and is an excellent school system.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 AM

548 posts, read 2,017,042 times
we moved to the Ambler area for the same goal in mind (nice area for families/kids, close to Center City) and we are happy so far. The people are nice, there's a lot of amenities nearby (shopping, farmers markets, kids activities, etc). They are building a huge new YMCA as well. Plus, downtown Ambler offers a lot of "date night" options for when you get a babysitter,

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all the info, folks. I looked into Jenkintown a little, and that looks like a great option as well. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I hope this job comes through and I get to start the househunt soon!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,530,352 times
Not sure what your budget is but also don't overlook towns on the R3 and R5.

Some Schools Districts to check out based upon quality and distance:

Tredyffrin Easttown School District
Lower Merion School District
Unionville Chadds Ford School District (further out)
Central Bucks School District
Great Valley School District (further out)
Wallingford-Swarthmore School District
Rose Tree Media School District
Garnet Valley School District (further out)
Haverford School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia