Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,047 times

Advertisements

I have an odd situation-- I'm relocating to Philly in several weeks for a new job, but the job is across the river in Sewell, NJ. I'd like to live in Philly so I'm not isolated in the suburbs. So I'll be commuting out of Philly over to South Jersey.

I've looked at the Chestnut Hill are near Germantown Ave because I love the atmosphere but I'm not sure how long the commute would be. Map quest says 45 minutes but I' don't know the traffic patterns to know if it would be much longer.

I'd love to live near Center City but have several concerns. Need a safe area since I'm a young female. Also need to have parking available so I can commute. Would like to have cafes, grocery and shops in walking distance.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be enormously appreciated. I'd especially love to know if Chestnut Hill would be too far of a commute.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Chestnut Hill to NJ would be a brutal commute due to traffic patterns in the area. You would be MUCH better off living in Center City and commuting to NJ as you would hit almost no traffic. Center City has lots of safe neighborhoods w/ shops and cafes near by.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Also, consider right across the river in Collingswood, NJ - its downtown has TONS of restaurants and cafes - a direct train line to Center City Philly (15min) and the parking situation will probably be a lot better.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Also check out Queen Village. It's a bit south, but you can easily walk into center city and you will be close to I-95 and either the Benjamin Franklin or Walt Whitman bridge.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 49,800 times
Your situation isn't unusual at all -- many people live in Philly and work in S. Jersey and vice versa. I'd rule out Chestnut Hill because it's just too far. It's also very family-oriented, and you probably want to be in a more happening place. I lived in Center City when I was in my 20s (10 years ago) and while there's crime everywhere, I didn't have any problems. It's a quick commute to Jersey from there. I'd also recommend checking out the Northern Liberties section. It's just north of Center City, and it's an up-and-coming sort of artsy area. One of the bridges to NJ (The Ben Franklin Bridge? My mind is blanking) is RIGHT THERE, and the commute would be even easier. In fact, the bridge is so close that a few times while living in Northern Liberties I ended up in the wrong lane and ended up on the bridge and had to make a U-turn once I reached Jersey!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

45 posts, read 209,426 times
Take everyone's advice because the commute can be really bad. Day after day it can take a toll on you and it's just to much time on the road.

Good luck

Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,230 times
Just wondering how this turned out for you. I'm in almost the same situation and I'm trying to plan ahead for the commute.
I feel like most of the traffic is those living in NJ and working in Philly so going the opposite way shouldn't be too bad. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.
How is the rush hour Philly to Sewell area traffic?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Kedoremus, The only post the OP has is the one at the top of this thread from three years ago. The poster above you (mirancs8) moved to Arizona. You might want to start your own thread.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,230 times
LOL. I figured it was worth a shot.

Good lookin' out!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: