Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 17,338 times

Advertisements

Or at least know someone who does? What's it like? Doable or hellish?

I'm thinking of moving to Philadelphia from Newark commuting to my job here because I'm tired of wasting away in suburbia. I'd be driving down I-95 rather than taking the Septa R2 line. As I go to Philly quite a bit I know the drive is usually 45 mins to an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
I never minded longer commutes. I loved catching up with Howard Stern or Listening to a book on tape. It was some alone time I liked. So kids, no husband taking the wrong exit.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM

That's what I was thinking. Music, podcasts, news...more than enough to occupy me during the commute. Also, when I finally got home there'd be, you know...things to do in the place where I live beside staying in my apartment and staring at the wall.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
I know a few people who have been doing it for years. Bot not in Newark - to Wilmington. The drive gets tedious. They've been looking for work in Center City but it's still a tough time to try to switch jobs.

I used to take the R2 from Center City to Wilmington. Quite a lot of people make that trip too.

(ha, R2. I hate the new RR naming system. It's so cumbersome).

Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,125 times
Just take the Wilmington/Newark line. According to the schedule, it takes a little over an hour from 30th street station to Newark, DE. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to commutes of between a half hour and an hour by public transportation but that doesn't seem all that bad to me really.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Friend of mine worked in Wilmington and took the train. He didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
The downside to taking the train into Delaware, especially to Newark, is the limited schedule and, if you don't work downtown or at UD the train isn't that convenient. A lot of jobs in Wilmington/Newark are nowhere near the train stations.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I've never driven to Newark in less than an hour - and that's without a traffic back-up. Day after day I would think this might begin to wear on you. Given the time you'd need to leave in the a.m. and the time you'd get home, I wonder how much energy you might really have to enjoy the city afar work. The cost of gasoline (or daily SEPTA rides), higher auto insurance, more expensive rent and Philly wage tax (yes, even if you work outside the city you pay) isn't going to help your pocketbook, either.

I realize Wilmington is a poor substitute for Philly, but if you lived in Trolley Square, you'd get a bit more of the urban fix you're looking for. You'd also be closer to Philly when you want a quick get-away.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM

I do work at UD so the train would drop me off right by my place of work, but the problem is the time it takes and multiple stops. I've seen an estimate of about an hour and 40 mins from Center City to Newark...that's over a 3 hour commute compared with the 2 hour commute by driving. Also, it looks like I'd have to take a train at 6:40-ish to get to work by 8:30.

jm02,
I have some friends who live in Trolley Square and while it does have a similar vibe to some parts of Philly, it's just not going to do it for me unfortunately. I really want to be able to walk out of my home and have access to a major city without a drive. The rent really wouldn't be much higher in in Philly compared to what I'm paying now, but I am disturbed to hear about this Philly wage tax...

Well...looks like my choice isn't great either way. Stay in Newark and have an easy commute but continue to endure a sad social/cultural scene or move to Philly and deal with a bad commute but have something to do.

FYI, I'm 31, single, and spent the second half of my 20s in Newark...where everyone is either a 19 year old undergrad or married with kids. Interestingly enough there are at least 2 other people that I know in the same demographic considering a Philly move.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijutwo View Post
I do work at UD so the train would drop me off right by my place of work, but the problem is the time it takes and multiple stops. I've seen an estimate of about an hour and 40 mins from Center City to Newark...that's over a 3 hour commute compared with the 2 hour commute by driving. Also, it looks like I'd have to take a train at 6:40-ish to get to work by 8:30.

jm02,
I have some friends who live in Trolley Square and while it does have a similar vibe to some parts of Philly, it's just not going to do it for me unfortunately. I really want to be able to walk out of my home and have access to a major city without a drive. The rent really wouldn't be much higher in in Philly compared to what I'm paying now, but I am disturbed to hear about this Philly wage tax...

Well...looks like my choice isn't great either way. Stay in Newark and have an easy commute but continue to endure a sad social/cultural scene or move to Philly and deal with a bad commute but have something to do.

FYI, I'm 31, single, and spent the second half of my 20s in Newark...where everyone is either a 19 year old undergrad or married with kids. Interestingly enough there are at least 2 other people that I know in the same demographic considering a Philly move.
Like I said, I had a friend who managed it without complaint. He alternated between taking the train where he left his car at the Newark station, or driving back to Philly and then commuting on I-95 then leaving it back at the station and train commuting again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia