Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,551 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to fit in on the Main Line?

I was born in the nicer parts of West Chester, went to school down south (my father moved away for business when I was young, so I went to hs down there) and returned North for college - upstate New York. I've graduated and live with my grandmother for the summer in West Chester. Case in point, though I am from the Philadelphia area, I have not lived here my whole life. I am looking to move back, as my dad is now retired and my sister is graduated high school, we won't only see each other on weekends and holidays. We're all back to the Philadelphia area.

My cousins are telling me to move close to them, though I would much rather get an apartment on the Main Line. My cousin insisted that they've all gone to prep school together (I went to prep school, just not in Philly) and that the girls won't want to befriend me. I was looking around online to find Main Line resources and found Beth Dunn's book, "Social Climbers."

I read her blog, which is cute, but that's just not me. She talks about how they all wear designer clothes and brag about luxury goods that they own. I love Lilly too, but I don't wear it around the house all day. According to her, the Main Line is a lot of mean girls who wear big sunglasses and drive luxury SUVs. Now, a lot of my mom's friends have written her off as a "Jersey girl looking in," but I can't help but wonder if there's truth to that. I'm a nice girl, not mean. I come from money, but I don't flaunt it. Will I be able to fit in and make friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
I would love to help you, but you didn't mention your age and whether you're still in school or will be working, and if so, where. Your concerns sound kind of high-school-ish.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:52 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,921,694 times
The majority of people on the Main Line are just wannabes and only 15-20% of Main Line residents are actually truly very well off and accomplished . That said, if anyone gives you a problem or attempts to act high and mighty, put them in their place.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,530,352 times
I would say bicoastal is spot on. You will encounter these types among the young mom crowd for sure - especially in Lower Merion, Radnor, Villanova, Berwyn, probably Devon. As for young, single and fabulous, not so sure.

The fact is that the people who grew up around here are probably less like this than the transplants. Find those folks and you should be a-ok.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink & pearls View Post
Will I be able to fit in and make friends?
Yep.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,213,340 times
It's really not anywhere near that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia