Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times

Advertisements

Yesterday upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there.
And he wasn't there again today.
Gee I wish he'd go away!

As a philosopher I can talk a lot about nothing. But I will try to contain myself and just say this: Amongst my myriad pontifications, I have occasionally found myself distinguishing between "reality" and "actuality." Some "things" (that are not really "things") can be real, even though they do not actually exist. "Possibilities" fall in this category. A possible world does not actually exist (until or unless it is actualized) but it is still "real" in the sense that it must be explicitly accounted for in the math of quantum theory (which is a highly successful theory).

The path not taken by an electron must be accounted for. The possibility was real, even though it was never actualized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Words like void and emptiness are used to describe a place where nothing exists. Does such a place really exist or is it a figment of our imagination?
It may depend on context.

There may be a finite range of "things" the absence of which is defined as void.

"There is nothing in my closet." Context is clothes. But air, dust etc are in there.

There is nothing between the earth and the moon. No water, not much heat. But there are electromagnetic waves of energy including light.

Is there a place in the universe that light or other EM has not reached (yet)?

What about a volume of space that has zero energy and zero mass within it? Does it exist? If there is no mass and no energy in it, is that absolutely void?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM

138 posts, read 181,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Words like void and emptiness are used to describe a place where nothing exists. Does such a place really exist or is it a figment of our imagination?
In "Never-ending Story," when they talk about "The Nothing" coming and taking everything away, they say, "They didn't even leave a hole. A hole would be something. All they left . . .was nothing!"

Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
The usefulness of a cup lies in its emptiness.

On the other hand, when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

*goes off to contemplate nothingness while munching on Stella D'oro cookies*

Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
There are certain types of Zen meditation in which one "empties" the mind. The "mind" itself no longer exists, and "nothingness" becomes it's replacement.

Yes, says June: "Nothingness" exists. She's experienced it when she used to engage in Zen meditation.

Take gentle care.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 AM

245 posts, read 455,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
The usefulness of a cup lies in its emptiness.

On the other hand, when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

*goes off to contemplate nothingness while munching on Stella D'oro cookies*
I get your idea on the cup. But, the first thing I thought of was; "what?!?! an empty beer mug isn't useful at all when i'm trying to watch a game".

Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
There are certain types of Zen meditation in which one "empties" the mind. The "mind" itself no longer exists, and "nothingness" becomes it's replacement.

Yes, says June: "Nothingness" exists. She's experienced it when she used to engage in Zen meditation.
I would characterize the "nothingness" of Buddhism as "interdependence of all things" - which implies that there are no "things" in the ordinary sense of independent essences. If a "thing" is something that we imagine could exist by itself, then our imaginations are merely abstract and misleading. There are no things. There is no thing that "is what it is" independent of the rest of the universe. We typically think of our minds as things in this way. We imagine that we could exist, even if the rest of the universe didn't. This image of "things" is deeply mistaken, according to Buddhism. To "experience nothingness" is to fully realize that the "self" is nothing apart from the fully interdependent World Itself. And the World Itself is also not a "thing."

The difficulty in talking about this idea in rational terms is what leads to so many of the infamous Zen paradoxes. Nothingness is not "nothing"!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Another way to define "nothing" is "that which defines something." Just as the empty space to a sculpture needs to be there in order for the shape to exist, nothingness needs to be there to define somethignness.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Take gentle care.
June7th, was it your experience that when you did the meditation and cleared your mind of all thought, you also lost the sense of feeling separate (detached) from everything else around you (as Gaylenwoof suggests)? I think that our active mind creates that sense of separation from the world around us.

My experience during that type of meditation is, that just being a "witness" without the thinking process engaged, I have a better sense of integration with all the things around me. So in that sense, as Gaylenwoof said, nothingness is not "nothing"......... maybe it is "everything."

When I posted this thread, I was thinking about the idea of 'nothingness' from a cosmological viewpoint, but I like how all these other aspects are being brought into it.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
I get your idea on the cup. But, the first thing I thought of was; "what?!?! an empty beer mug isn't useful at all when i'm trying to watch a game".
Yeah, that's where the entire Zen thing falls apart...I just can't envision sitting in front of a wall for several years without a few brewskies, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy