Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Very Interesting Interview!

Stand to Reason: Radio Archives

Scroll down to Sept. 19th to listen.

Thought I would post some written replies to it as well.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/site/...rticle&id=8401

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/site/...rticle&id=8415

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 11-18-2010 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
From one of your links... "Now I am no physicist,"

Well that ends that.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
From one of your links... "Now I am no physicist,"

Well that ends that.
Moderator cut: attack

The 'quote' was from the person asking the Question - Craig gives the Answers. Furthermore, the Book deals with philsophical issues and thier relation to science. So Craig is fully qualified to respond. Can only physicists understand physics?

Moderator cut: attack

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-22-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Can only physicists understand physics?
Sorry, Stephen Hawking is arguably the smartest man alive. I don't think anyone who isn't a world-class physicist is qualified to rebut him about physics.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Sorry, Stephen Hawking is arguably the smartest man alive. I don't think anyone who isn't a world-class physicist is qualified to rebut him about physics.
I won't say that a lay person can't have a good understanding of physics but I do not think that a non-physicist can claim to have the same level of understanding as a physicist. William L. Craig may or may not have valid criticisms but I would be more interested in hearing critiques from others in Hawking's field.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
And another one bites the dust. Why is everyone assuming things without refering to what was posted. I can see that this thread is on its way being led off topic by those who have not even taken the time to listen or read the links - if you are not interested then move on.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I won't say that a lay person can't have a good understanding of physics but I do not think that a non-physicist can claim to have the same level of understanding as a physicist. William L. Craig may or may not have valid criticisms but I would be more interested in hearing critiques from others in Hawking's field.
Craig actually does mention those who find his new book wanting in certain areas. It is an interesting listen - even if you don't or won't agree.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,037 times
Quote:
Craig actually does mention those who find his new book wanting in certain areas. It is an interesting listen - even if you don't or won't agree.
I'll bookmark the sites you listed to listen to later but probably won't be around to comment. (Not that it matters as I'm not a physicist) I haven't even had time to read Hawking's book yet and this month is going to be so busy that I probably won't get to it anytime soon. At any rate, thanks for the links. I'm willing to hear the other side on this issue.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
And another one bites the dust. Why is everyone assuming things without refering to what was posted. I can see that this thread is on its way being led off topic by those who have not even taken the time to listen or read the links - if you are not interested then move on.
Now I realize you have some sort of agenda here in hoping to discredit the ideas found in the book, but have you even bothered to read 'The Grand Design'? I have. Therefore I feel I am quite justified in saying that unless Craig is a well-respected astrophysicist (he's not), or at least a well-known physicist (he's not), he really doesn't have a lot of credibility in trying to refute Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.

So run along and go believe in your god if you want, but rest assured it doesn't negate the validity of actual true scientific genius.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM

430 posts, read 583,585 times
Attempts to discredit a book by any highly credible scientist on a talk show format leaves us with, for example, the spectacle of Rush Limbaugh waxing eloquent on the insignificance of the Exxon Valdez, or the recent Gulf Oil "problems", or this dude trying to discredit Hawking.

In the process, among those in the know, such TS hosts only discredit themselves with their unjustified and opinionated bloviations. The details of this guy's concerns are pitiful, to say the least, but he has a willing and once-affluent audience there in Orange County. He probably thinks he's relevant!

Scientific factoids don't just pop into existence. They are the result of very conservative, thoughtful and vigorous investigations which are then confirmed by other equally credible technologists. Several times over, in fact. Those guys often have it in their minds to discredit the first author's conclusions if at all possible.

It's a highly competitive environment, but unlike religion, truth in scientific methodology and reporting are mandatory, highly regulated and multiple peer-reviewed. Or else science goes the way of religious drama: unbelievable at best and laughable at worst. On balance, the scientific process results in reliable and valuable output, unlike that of jealous, unbalanced, biased and intolerant religious doctrine.

That aspect is more than evident in this presentation. Hawking is hardly shaking in his wheelchair. It's equally obvious that this book has Christians seriously shaken and concerned. Therefore they'll try anything to discredit and dismiss one of the most influential and astounding minds of our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy