Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times

Advertisements

Ok, so since this is the Religion and Philosophy forum, I thought I might ask some philosophy related questions for a change of pace.

Having only recently become comfortable with my Atheism, I realize that I do not have a coherent understanding of "How then shall we live". Do any of you folks who have dug into philosophy have any recommendations for overviews of major philosophical systems? I need something that I can get a little deeper than wikipedia, but to be honest, I don't think I am up to blindly digging through philosophers. Sort of a reader's digest version, so I can see what I am interested in digging into. Any recommendations?

Also a kind of random question for the philosophically minded: Why is Objectivism generally derided in philosophical circles? Politically, I tend Libertarian, so Rand, Rothbard, Hayek, and von Mises are prominent, but whenever I see Objectivism discussed as a philosophy, there is generally a quick response that it isn't even worth discussing. Can you guys help me understand why this is? Also, if anyone knows of a good Objectivism primer ( other than Atlas Shrugged) I would appreciate it.

NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
I'm going to suggest DK Publishing's The Philosophy Book. It's targeted for older kids, but I think it would be a good introduction. I need to read it myself, as I find all the different concepts and philosophers to be very confusing.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Ok, so since this is the Religion and Philosophy forum, I thought I might ask some philosophy related questions for a change of pace.

Having only recently become comfortable with my Atheism, I realize that I do not have a coherent understanding of "How then shall we live". Do any of you folks who have dug into philosophy have any recommendations for overviews of major philosophical systems? I need something that I can get a little deeper than wikipedia, but to be honest, I don't think I am up to blindly digging through philosophers. Sort of a reader's digest version, so I can see what I am interested in digging into. Any recommendations?

Also a kind of random question for the philosophically minded: Why is Objectivism generally derided in philosophical circles? Politically, I tend Libertarian, so Rand, Rothbard, Hayek, and von Mises are prominent, but whenever I see Objectivism discussed as a philosophy, there is generally a quick response that it isn't even worth discussing. Can you guys help me understand why this is? Also, if anyone knows of a good Objectivism primer ( other than Atlas Shrugged) I would appreciate it.

NoCapo
I find 'how then shall we live' works pretty well if you just go on as you always did but without the god stuff. It works just as well.

I must say I have never really found philosophy of much practical use except in applying logical thought to everyday thinking. Philosophy gives us a lot of interesting question and suggestions, true, but I have never considered it (correct philosophical position) something to be resolved as urgently for living life as even the question of which religion to affiliate to.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
If you do not admire Ayn Rand, never mind looking into Objectivism.

If Ayn Rand is your hero, Objectivism is for you.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
I like the young adult novel "Sophie's World" as a nice introduction to the history of philosophy. It would be unsatisfying to those who want a really meaty, scholarly evaluation of concepts, but it is perfect for those who just want to be exposed to a number of philosophical schools of thought in an entertaining manner.

Amazon.com: Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy (9780425152256): Jostein Gaarder: Books

Review by Publisher's Weekly:
Quote:
This long, dense novel, a bestseller in the author's native Norway, offers a summary history of philosophy embedded in a philosophical mystery disguised as a children's book--but only sophisticated young adults would be remotely interested. Sophie Amundsen is about to turn 15 when she receives a letter from one Alberto Knox, a philosopher who undertakes to educate her in his craft. Sections in which we read the text of Knox's lessons to Sophie about the pre-Socratics, Plato and St. Augustine alternate with those in which we find out about Sophie's life with her well-meaning mother. Soon, though, Sophie begins receiving other, stranger missives addressed to one Hilde Moller Knag from her absent father, Albert. [...] Norwegian philosophy professor Gaarder's notion of making a history of philosophy accessible is a good one. Unfortunately, it's occasionally undermined by the dry language he uses to describe the works of various thinkers and by an idiosyncratic bias that gives one paragraph to Nietzsche but dozens to Sartre, breezing right by Wittgenstein and the most influential philosophy of this century, logical positivism. Many readers, regardless of their age, may be tempted to skip over the lessons, which aren't well integrated with the more interesting and unusual metafictional story line.
As for how to live, I replaced the ten commandments with the following ten aspirations I created for my life:

1) Strive to use your best judgment. Realize that these statements are aspirational in nature. Their intent is to guide and inspire toward the very highest ethical ideals. There may be times when the most appropriate course is to supercede one of these principles, so use your best judgment. Practice moderation - you need not run faster than you have strength.

2) Strive to limit the harm one causes. Be aware of the possible consequences of your actions, and make a reasonable effort to not cause unnecessary injury or obstruction or damage. This includes harm to one's self, others, all creation and the environment. This does not mean that you should seclude yourself so as to limit the chances of doing anyone harm and it is understood that by living you will cause some harm - you have to eat something, your body fights bacteria, you will produce some waste products, etc. Be reasonable with one's expectations on this point.

3) Strive to benefit one's self, others, and the environment. In as much as it is possible, and with respect for the desires of others (i.e., don't help when your help is reasonably not wanted), help all to live healthily and adaptively.

4) Strive to be trustworthy. Excepting times when honesty puts others in danger, seek to be honest in your dealings with others. Hold in confidence information that should be kept confidential. Act with integrity and be true and honest with one's self.

5) Strive to take appropriate responsibility for one's actions. Keep your word and uphold your commitments. Repair the damage your actions may have caused. Sincerely apologize to, and if possible reimburse, individuals you may have injured. Know the laws and what is expected of you. Once you have done what you can to right your wrongs, forgive yourself and move on.

6) Strive to be fair and just. Inasmuch as possible practice equity. Be aware of and try to limit the influence of one's biases and prejudices.

7) Strive to respect and protect the rights and dignity of one's self, others, and all of creation. It is not enough to ensure that you are not mistreating others, you must strive for social justice for humans and the humane treatment of animals. All people have a right to self-determination. Special safeguards may be necessary to protect the rights and welfare of persons or communities whose vulnerabilities impair autonomous decision making.

8) Strive to be patient and forgiving. Try to have patience with one's self, others, and anticipated events in life. Free yourself of the bondage of resentment and disappointment.

9) Strive to gain understanding. Knowledge enables one to make better use of that which is available and helps one to successfully adapt to one's environment.

10) Strive to love, show empathy, and be compassionate. We are a social species and for much of our lives are dependent on one another. It is important to our well-being and mental and emotional health to have strong relationships with others. Loving is satisfying to the soul and beautiful. Empathy and compassion can calm arguments and disagreements.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Thanks, Hueffenhardt. I'll see if the library has that. Sounds interesting.

I think for me the issue is that when I was a Christian, systematic theology had a big impact on me. I spent a lot of time trying to make the pieces fit, and just couldn't do it.

I am comfortable, generally speaking, with my beliefs at this point, but all I can really say is that I believe them, not why. I am not interested in changing my beliefs specifically to fit someone else's philosophical framework, but I would like to analyze my own within the larger context of human thought.

Who knows, I might earn something interesting about myself in the process.

NoCapo

Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I like the young adult novel "Sophie's World" as a nice introduction to the history of philosophy. It would be unsatisfying to those who want a really meaty, scholarly evaluation of concepts, but it is perfect for those who just want to be exposed to a number of philosophical schools of thought in an entertaining manner.

Amazon.com: Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy (9780425152256): Jostein Gaarder: Books

Review by Publisher's Weekly:
As for how to live, I replaced the ten commandments with the following ten aspirations I created for my life:

1) Strive to use your best judgment. Realize that these statements are aspirational in nature. Their intent is to guide and inspire toward the very highest ethical ideals. There may be times when the most appropriate course is to supercede one of these principles, so use your best judgment. Practice moderation - you need not run faster than you have strength.

2) Strive to limit the harm one causes. Be aware of the possible consequences of your actions, and make a reasonable effort to not cause unnecessary injury or obstruction or damage. This includes harm to one's self, others, all creation and the environment. This does not mean that you should seclude yourself so as to limit the chances of doing anyone harm and it is understood that by living you will cause some harm - you have to eat something, your body fights bacteria, you will produce some waste products, etc. Be reasonable with one's expectations on this point.

3) Strive to benefit one's self, others, and the environment. In as much as it is possible, and with respect for the desires of others (i.e., don't help when your help is reasonably not wanted), help all to live healthily and adaptively.

4) Strive to be trustworthy. Excepting times when honesty puts others in danger, seek to be honest in your dealings with others. Hold in confidence information that should be kept confidential. Act with integrity and be true and honest with one's self.

5) Strive to take appropriate responsibility for one's actions. Keep your word and uphold your commitments. Repair the damage your actions may have caused. Sincerely apologize to, and if possible reimburse, individuals you may have injured. Know the laws and what is expected of you. Once you have done what you can to right your wrongs, forgive yourself and move on.

6) Strive to be fair and just. Inasmuch as possible practice equity. Be aware of and try to limit the influence of one's biases and prejudices.

7) Strive to respect and protect the rights and dignity of one's self, others, and all of creation. It is not enough to ensure that you are not mistreating others, you must strive for social justice for humans and the humane treatment of animals. All people have a right to self-determination. Special safeguards may be necessary to protect the rights and welfare of persons or communities whose vulnerabilities impair autonomous decision making.

8) Strive to be patient and forgiving. Try to have patience with one's self, others, and anticipated events in life. Free yourself of the bondage of resentment and disappointment.

9) Strive to gain understanding. Knowledge enables one to make better use of that which is available and helps one to successfully adapt to one's environment.

10) Strive to love, show empathy, and be compassionate. We are a social species and for much of our lives are dependent on one another. It is important to our well-being and mental and emotional health to have strong relationships with others. Loving is satisfying to the soul and beautiful. Empathy and compassion can calm arguments and disagreements.
I like your Ten Aspirations, Hueffenhardt!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
In regards to Rand, maybe because her philosophy has been shown to the world via fiction and thus is not taken seriously. I agree with Theo that one cannot separate Rand from Objectivism as they do go hand in hand. My students read Anthem and a few have become hard core fans reading all that she has written as she does make some valid points about individualism which they seem to identify with.

About learning more about objectivism, have you tried the Ayn Rand Institute? They have tons of information there. Here is the URL. The Ayn Rand Institute: News and Highlights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy