Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

My mom said, "You make me feel like I don't know how to take my pills, like I'm stupid."

(She had severe, severe dementia, hbp, and diabetes and would never take
her pills unless you watched her, ps.)

I said, "Mom, if I had the power to make you feel anything, I'd make you feel happy."

That's all, people can try to make you feel guilty or like dog do....but they have
absolutely no power.

We have the power to feel fabulous all the time.
That's my post, and I'm stickin to it.
Wanted to encourage people, bec there is a lot of loose talk about "they"
made me feel....well, it's baloney.

We aren't children anymore.
Tough talk maybe, but wanted to get to the point.
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
That would imply others not capable of hurting u
Where did that come from

Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Words are capable of causing pain much deeper and longer lasting than any physical pain.

I would much rather face physical torment than the pain inflicted by hateful words from a loved one.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My mom said, "You make me feel like I don't know how to take my pills, like I'm stupid."

(She had severe, severe dementia, hbp, and diabetes and would never take
her pills unless you watched her, ps.)

I said, "Mom, if I had the power to make you feel anything, I'd make you feel happy."

That's all, people can try to make you feel guilty or like dog do....but they have
absolutely no power.

We have the power to feel fabulous all the time.
That's my post, and I'm stickin to it.
Wanted to encourage people, bec there is a lot of loose talk about "they"
made me feel....well, it's baloney.

We aren't children anymore.
Tough talk maybe, but wanted to get to the point.
Thanx
Assertions like this may help sell records but they certainly aren't true.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I would much rather face physical torment than the pain inflicted by hateful words from a loved one.
I doubt it.

I think I could come up with some physical pain for you that would be worse than any hateful words from any of your loved ones.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
op, i have a hot serrated knife that says you're wrong. want to test it?

and even emotionally, you're wrong. people have the power to make me feel certain ways.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Indeed Miss H.
My mother taught me this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
That would imply others not capable of hurting u
Where did that come from
I don't see the implication there at all.
Others are capable of trying to hurt us but ultimately in the end, it is just us and what we allow.

It is our own emotional attachment that gives these painful allowances.
If someone I closely love calls me a horrible name, it stands to 'reason' that it would hurt my feelings. After all, I've been kind to this person so it is illogical that they would feel the need to call me a name.
A stranger calls me this same name, or even worse. I've never met them, never did anything for of to them, what logical reason do they have to call me such, none. So it does not 'hurt'.

We are in, let me re-phrase, we have the ability to be in full control of our emotions. What we think should be painful, will be painful. Most of us all share those same peramiters of what is and isn't.

A different manner of thinking would have one feeling different. Sure my loved one called me a name. It was done because they are feeling a certain way and are not being calm or in control. They are lashing out.
I can see this person as conflicted and frustrated and not take a thing they say personally because if I was not standing there and someone else was, they would be the target.
So why should being called a name upset me?

What other things do people do that 'hurt'. Forget a birthday? That's the birthday person's own expectation. If they are hurt by it because they set themselves up to feel that way by having those expectations.

It's all in the perception of things.
Am I immune to hurt feelings? No. Do I blame another person for it? Not really. I'll point out the cause and effect, but I take full responsibility for how it effected me.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I doubt it.

I think I could come up with some physical pain for you that would be worse than any hateful words from any of your loved ones.
I've had my share of both. Spent over a year in a body cast with virtually every bone in my body shattered, Faced burns over much of my body. Been attacked and well chewed up by a pack of dogs etc.

Even had my face shattered in an accident at the age of 2. Have fought several battles with cancer and had my share of heart attacks.

I am no stranger to physical pain and would still gladly face it again than to be shattered by the words of a loved one.

I still think and feel the greatest pain I ever experienced was when over 50 years ago someone I loved deeply told me she despised me and never wanted to see me again.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Well, as long as someoneA gives the power to someoneB to 'make them'
feel something inside of their own selves...well, then, so be it...they then have been given that power
to effect you (someone A).

I am in control of myself and my feelings.
If some here are not, well, ok then....but just know someoneB will always have
that power as long a you give it to them.

If I am screamed at and fired....I have a choice to crumble and be depressed for a week
OR ... not.

But, I'm sorry, I guess I'm playing to a crowd, mostly, that has given their power
to someone else...hmm.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, as long as someoneA gives the power to someoneB to 'make them'
feel something inside of their own selves...well, then, so be it...they then have been given that power
to effect you (someone A).

I am in control of myself and my feelings.
If some here are not, well, ok then....but just know someoneB will always have
that power as long a you give it to them.

If I am screamed at and fired....I have a choice to crumble and be depressed for a week
OR ... not.

But, I'm sorry, I guess I'm playing to a crowd, mostly, that has given their power
to someone else...hmm.
I have found that when you have a deep attachment for someone, you do grant them power over you. In my opinion that is the deepest expression of love possible. I can not say all people can or will ever experience love at that level. But of one does it is painful beyond belief if betrayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy